The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 16, 2017, 09:33 PM   #51
Joe_Pike

The trouble with the HK P7 M8 is that I can buy a Glock 19 and 26, 2,500 rounds of ammo and stick a grand in the bank. They are cool, though.
Old August 16, 2017, 09:41 PM   #52
stephen426

Looks like you missed the boat Joe. Prices have gone through the roof lately! I have one, but it is a safe queen that only comes out to play every so often.
Old August 17, 2017, 12:41 PM   #53
osbornk

Quote:
Is any other gun identically sized to the G19? I don't know that I've found the combo of the 4" barrel with the 5" overall height.
My S&W SD9VE is so close in weight and size to the G19, it is scary. When you field strip them , you have to look close to tell them apart. It holds 1 more round than the G19 and is at least $150+ cheaper.

I also have a Taurus PT111 G2 that is very close to the G26 except it has a slightly longer grip because the magazine holds 12. It was on sale for $199.99.

Both have been flawless but the shorter PT111 is easier to conceal.

Both have been flawless
Old August 18, 2017, 06:35 AM   #54
amd6547

I much prefer the the G26 for carry. As for the G19, I can carry a G17 just as easily.
Old August 19, 2017, 06:56 AM   #55
Brit

The Gen 4 Glock 19, is IMHO the perfect size/capacity and fits me as tho it was designed for me. The amount of people who have CCLs, yet do not carry on a regular basis is astounding.

Carry the same gun, in the same place always! Oh! Did I say that before?

If you would care to peruse the TV and Newspapers? It should become apparent we have problems in this land I love and choose to reside in.
I was not born here but volunteered to become a legal Citizen, with my Wife of 25 years. My Son is a Citizen, that made that possible.

The times they are a changing. And pistols that stay in a safe ain't going to help when the time to need it comes.
Old August 19, 2017, 12:29 PM   #56
CUBAN REDNECK

Glock 19 perfect size, in my opinion. Glock 26 is too small for my hands.
Old September 18, 2017, 10:24 PM   #57
Dave1911

Quote:
Is any other gun identically sized to the G19? I don't know that I've found the combo of the 4" barrel with the 5" overall height.
I am not following all the latest "Glock killers" coming out but when I did my research a few years ago, I found the G19 to have the edge when it comes to width, weight, height, and capacity.

Width: Coming in at 1.18 it is as thin as any double stack I researched. Some were as fat as 1.5".

Weight: At 23.65 oz it was one of the lightest on my list.

Height: 4.99". Many double stack compacts are 5.5".

That said I am curious upon reading this thread if I can shoot a G26 close to as good as a G19. If I can, I might be tempted to try and pocket carry it.
Old September 18, 2017, 10:34 PM   #58
Bill DeShivs

Why choose either?
Old September 18, 2017, 11:18 PM   #59
TunnelRat

Quote:
Why choose either?
Cause you want to?
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 19, 2017, 03:49 AM   #60
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailGator:
It is a choice of personal preference and need. People who choose the 26 over the 19 usually feel like they conceal it better (we have heard from some of those already, and I am one) and some feel they shoot it better (me again). Your choice.
I agree that the 26 conceals better than the 19, however I think I shoot my 19 and my Walther PPS-M2 better than the 26 I once had, but YMMV. I agree that either gun is a fine choice based on preference and intended purpose.

Last edited by JDBerg; September 19, 2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old September 19, 2017, 04:09 AM   #61
Rob228

My carry evolution went like this:

S&W 1911 Sc
Glock 36
Glock 26
Glock 19

All I carry now is the 19, it is just as concealable as any of the others I have tried to carry and it shoots just as well as the 1911Sc did, with faster follow up shots.
Old September 19, 2017, 05:14 AM   #62
ritepath

The 26 was the worst feeling gun I've ever owned. The "baby" glocks my be the worst sized pistols on earth when you consider weight and width to size ratio. I think that's why the Taurus G2 is so popular, thinner than a 26 but with enough grip you don't need a silly extension while being smaller and thinner than a 19 also.

The 26 loses out to the Shield or G2, the 19 to the P-01...and some days everything loses out to the LCP.
Old September 19, 2017, 07:11 AM   #63
amd6547

I shoot the the G26 as well or better than the Browning HiPowers I carried for decades. I am perfectly comfortable shooting it with the flat based 10rd mag.
Lately, I have been using the Magpul 12rd mag, which provides a short extension, and which has functioned perfectly at the range.
When I grip the G26, the hump nestles right into the pocket in my palm, and locks it in.
I don't own a G19, but my first Glock was a G23...I find the G26 much easier to carry.
As I wrote earlier, I often carry a full size G17, concealing it without too much difficulty. However, I have carried the 1911 or the Beretta 92FS in the past, so I am used to dressing to conceal a large handgun. The light weight of the G17 makes it a breeze.
For me, the G26 provides a small, easy to carry and conceal pistol which shoots, for me, like a full sized gun, and can use any double stack Glock 9mm mag.
Last week, I spent my time at the range shooting the 10" round steel plates my club has at various ranges out to 80yds, and I had no problem ringing them with the G26.
Not bad for a pistol that disappears under a T-shirt.
I have a 15rd G19 mag with a grip extender, but I don't use it a lot. The G26 is one pistol that transitions easily from All day CCW to home defense pistol. Sometimes I will pop in the G19 mag at home.
Old September 19, 2017, 08:30 AM   #64
OhioGuy

I had a chance to try both, back-to-back recently. It was a Gen 5 19 and a Gen 4 26, so not precisely apples-to-apples, but I can't honestly say I could tell much of a difference between a Gen 4 or 5 G19 anyways, so I think it was fair enough.

Truthfully, I couldn't discern much of a difference between them when the 26 had a 15 round mag with the extension sleeve. The overall length difference isn't that profound. Now I've never carried AIWB with anything longer than a subcompact, so I imagine that extra length could dig into my leg a bit. The length issue would be a non-issue if I carried more like 4:30 position.

Now the G26 with the 10 rounder was a weird little beast. I have a PPS M2 that is about the same grip length with its flush magazine, and I shoot that better with a 2 finger grip than I did the 26. The 26 is kind of porky without a grip extension. I had no issues shooting with either the 12 round or 15 round mags though.

I can carry 8 in my PPS, so I wouldn't step up to a G26 for the sake of 2 extra rounds. However, seeing as the G26 can grow to 12 or 15 rounds easily and still be plenty concealable, I still see it as a very flexible platform. Single stack 9s pretty much top out at 7+1 before the grips get pretty long, and extra capacity can only come from extra mags.

I probably will stick with my XD Subcompact for the long run though. It's sized almost exactly between a 19 and a 26 and shoots quite well. I can carry 16 round mags if I need to, but 13+1 packs a lot of punch into a small space. I'd say that's roughly equivalent to a G26 with the 12 round magazine.

I carry AIWB mainly because it's the most convenient to frequently take the rig on and off my body (necessitated by locations I have to visit regularly). If I knew I could carry all day, everwhere, I'd probably get a dual-clip holster to wear at 4:30, and then anything G19 sized would be easy to carry.
Old September 19, 2017, 08:32 AM   #65
OhioGuy

Follow-on to my earlier point...

For those here who carry a G19 in AIWB (or something similar to a G19, which is a very long list of guns)...

How do you keep that thing from digging into your leg when you bend, squat or sit? With my XD 3" or my PPS, it's short enough that I can hike my belt up a little and then the muzzle clears my leg, but adding almost another inch to the muzzle???

I'm 5'10, 180 lb. If I were 6'10 I'm sure it would be a non issue
Old September 19, 2017, 10:24 AM   #66
osbornk

Quote:

For those here who carry a G19 in AIWB (or something similar to a G19, which is a very long list of guns)...

How do you keep that thing from digging into your leg when you bend, squat or sit? With my XD 3" or my PPS, it's short enough that I can hike my belt up a little and then the muzzle clears my leg, but adding almost another inch to the muzzle???

I find my PT111 G2 with the 3" (+-) barrel much more comfortable to carry than my SD9VE with the 4" barrel in the same IWB holster.
Old September 20, 2017, 05:00 AM   #67
Snuffy308

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post

I think it largely depends on where your waist is located. My son can't appendix carry a 43 but I have no problem with a 19.
Old September 21, 2017, 02:00 AM   #68
Tactical Jackalope

17 and 19 all the way. The Glock 26 is mainly a back up gun in my mind's eye.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old September 21, 2017, 06:50 AM   #69
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
17 and 19 all the way. The Glock 26 is mainly a back up gun in my mind's eye.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I'm trying to get at why people see the 26 as a backup gun...

With the 10 round magazine, it's a backup to its big 19 and 17 brothers. With a 15 round magazine, it's a 19 with a 1/2 inch shorter muzzle, right?

I guess I was asking, why buy a gun that's only a full size, when you could buy one that can be a backup gun OR a full size equivalent?
Old September 21, 2017, 11:31 AM   #70
drobs

Had both at one time. Sold of the 19 and instantly regretted it (especially since I have 22 conversion). Traded the 26 for another 19.

Can you guess where this story going?

Now I want another 26. Might grab an inexpensive PD trade in 27 and get a conversion barrel.

Actually found the 26 easier to shoot than the 19. Something about that short grip puts your hands in the perfect position each and every time. Even with my pinky hanging off.

I carry a back up 17 mag with either model.

Regarding pinching. My 26 never pinched me on mag changes because I'd use a longer / larger cap mag - either a 19 or 17 mag for mag changes.
Old September 21, 2017, 02:24 PM   #71
TailGator

Quote:
I think it largely depends on where your waist is located.
Mine is located in 1987.

Quote:
With the 10 round magazine, it's a backup to its big 19 and 17 brothers. With a 15 round magazine, it's a 19 with a 1/2 inch shorter muzzle, right?

I guess I was asking, why buy a gun that's only a full size, when you could buy one that can be a backup gun OR a full size equivalent?
That is the versatility that people appreciate, if they don't mind the short grip. If they hate the short grip too much to ever use it with a flush mag, the 1/2 inch difference in top length doesn't make much difference to them. I'm among the former, but it isn't unanimous.
Old September 21, 2017, 03:17 PM   #72
mr bolo

because I use the G19 a lot more than concealing it

using it for concealed carry is the least of my concerns, for people that want a better handling shooter the G19 is a better choice

the G19 is compact enough, I dont really like sub compacts for regular use, the only advantage is easier to carry since it's sub compact

the 26 is like the Walther PPK it's extra compact for concealment.