The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 15, 2013, 10:06 PM   #51
9ballbilly

Since I haven't hunted deer for more than a decade I've sold all but one of my center-fire rifles.

The one I can't let go of is my 1980 Win. model 94 trapper .30-30. Oddly enough I bought it after I'd already given up hunting. Just had to have it.
Old November 15, 2013, 10:12 PM   #52
5thShock

Since one is none, I have two to have one. A Romanian Kalashnikov because it always fires, a lot. A 30/30 Winchester for beauty and to ride the high country.
Old November 16, 2013, 01:00 AM   #53
MattShlock

Browning Leveraction Rifle

One of the take-down pig hunt laminates in Stainless, .308, Scout scope mount...

...because I need an excuse for a new gun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Browning BLR Stainless Laminate Takedown Scout.jpg (21.5 KB, 41 views)
Old November 16, 2013, 01:19 AM   #54
Shootrj2003

Believe if your stuck with one rifle you certainly can know it better,however many rifles are really interessting to have around.Shooting small game with a 30/06 has it's problems,and shooting large game with .22 has even more.
Old November 16, 2013, 09:47 AM   #55
johnwilliamson062

Hunting regulations would make that difficult. As would various competitive shooting regulations.
Old November 16, 2013, 02:25 PM   #56
Husqvarna

If I had a ton of money a double rifle/drilling could work for the kind of hunting I do

but the thing is for a drilling with two centrefire barrels and one shotgun barrel + hella expensive qd scope mounts and it being made to fit me I wouldn't dare take it to the woods.

hard to decide on a calibre to, rimmed cartridge naturally, flat shooting and stopping power?
Old November 16, 2013, 08:18 PM   #57
PVL

I've been down to a single rifle on several occasions, every now and then I sell off whatever I have and start over. I sold all but a couple of my long arms at a gun-show not long ago...

What I usually keep is something short and handy like a BLR or maybe a bolt action that is reasonably light.

Right now I'm down to two centerfire guns and I'm trying to sell one of them to finance something I've never had before.

The one that I'm keeping this time is something long and unhandy - a 243 with a 24" heavy barrel.

The one I'm selling is an unfired M1A Scout Squad. By the time I got it delivered, I'd already gotten interested in something else.

I'm bad about that.
Old November 29, 2013, 10:49 PM   #58
edward hogan

Two ways to be happy with only owning "one rifle":

Handload and also cast bullets with a good variety of molds and jacketed bullets. Choose a cartridge that really will Do It All, like a .280rem AI, .30-06, or since you handload; a wildcat like one of heavy Gibbs ctgs, a .30/284 or .338/284.

If you have a .357mag handgun, could choose a .35 Whelen AI and since you handload, your rifle could shoot handgun bullets as well.

Probably would want a really well-made rifle, like one with a H-S Precision or McMillan stock and a cut-rifled quality barrel with short oal chamber.

The other option is to own only the one "rifle" but switchbarrel it with different barrel contours, chamberings, stocks and even scopes to fit your need at the time.

Pretty hard to beat a .30-06, .30-06AI or .30 Gibbs for jacketed bullet selection range and variety of bullet molds available. Team one of these with a .32 H&R or .32 Long handgun and you have a nice combo.
Old November 29, 2013, 11:48 PM   #59
leadcounsel

Not me. No way.

Variety is the spice of life. Way too much need for a variety of rifles to pick just one.
Old November 30, 2013, 12:32 AM   #60
HisStigness

I would like to think that when I save up enough money for a Weatherby Vanguard s2 in 30-06 and put some decent grass on it, then it will be the last "hunting rifle" I'll ever have to buy. It should be good for anything I could ever see myself hunting from elk to coyotes. That being said, it definitely won't be the last centerfire rifle I buy, as I already own 6 and am always looking for something new and different.
Old November 30, 2013, 04:15 AM   #61
Ignition Override

We no wild pigs near Memphis, or easy to locate, no hunting here interests me.

My prime fun gun is the SKS with the Tech Sight. With ammo back to .24/rd., 3,000 rds. are stored, and the wife will give me another case of 1,000 rds. for Christmas. No messing around here At All, preparing for the next panic and also retirement.

With only three bricks of .22LR, don't want to use the Romanian M-69 Trainers too often. They Would be the primary rifle.
Old November 30, 2013, 07:54 AM   #62
old roper

I started reloading 1965 and over the years tried to stay current and I'm playing around with 284 on a long action. I've never not had a project so be hard for me not having one.
NRA Life Member
Old November 30, 2013, 10:48 AM   #63
Doug S

I recently began hunting again after 16 years, during which time I sold off all of my old hunting rifles. I did so mostly because my son came of age to hunt, and my brother in law bought a nice farm giving us access to some nice hunting land. Anyway, not wanting to invest in a bunch of equipment, I tried to consider what we might be hunting and what hunting cartridge might be a good do it all gun for us. Our game would likely be ground hog, coyote, and Whitetail deer. I selected a 243win, and that is currently the only centerfire rifle I own. It suits our needs well.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; November 30, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old November 30, 2013, 12:21 PM   #64
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If for whatever reason I only had one rifle, I'd go with an '06. I know I can handload round ball for squirrels and rabbits. 80- to 110-grain for varmints. 150 for deer. 180 for elk or other biggies.
Old November 30, 2013, 05:26 PM   #65
dgludwig

Quote:
I would like to think that when I save up enough money for a Weatherby Vanguard s2 in 30-06 and put some decent grass on it, then it will be the last "hunting rifle" I'll ever have to buy.
I agree with you-but I doubt any serious firearm aficionado would ever settle for one rifle. Besides, I would hate to have to mow my rifle every other week or so just to see the sights...
Old November 30, 2013, 05:50 PM   #66
L_Killkenny

Re: Who subscribes to the 'one rifle' lifestyle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
I agree with you-but I doubt any serious firearm aficionado would ever settle for one rifle. Besides, I would hate to have to mow my rifle every other week or so just to see the sights...
Load of crap right there. The number of guns has zero, none, nada to do with how serious you are let alone your capabilities. Completely moronic.
Old November 30, 2013, 06:03 PM   #67
HisStigness

Re: Who subscribes to the 'one rifle' lifestyle?

Lol sorry guys I meant some decent *glass*
Auto correct :banghead:
Old November 30, 2013, 07:12 PM   #68
Ozzieman

One 22
One 7.62X54R
One 7.62X39
One 9mm carbine
One 44 mag bolt action rifle
One 44 lever action.
One 308 bolt.
But from there it’s more like 5 or more each of multiple calibers.
Having one rifle would be like owning only one handgun, one car, one beer and only one type of single malt scotch.
I believe there are laws against it and its one law I will never break.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 30, 2013, 07:40 PM   #69
FairWarning

One rifle? Blasphemy.
Old November 30, 2013, 07:48 PM   #70
Ridgerunner665

This time last year I had nearly 80 rifles...accumulated over the last 30 years or so...I sold all of them except 3, the 270 my wife hunts with and my 30-06, a varmint rifle (243), and a few 22's and shotguns.

If I had to pick only one....it would be the 30-06.
Old November 30, 2013, 08:16 PM   #71
dgludwig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig

Load of crap right there. The number of guns has zero, none, nada to do with how serious you are let alone your capabilities. Completely moronic.
Really? I expressed an opinion. And I did say that I agreed with him. Because you apparently differ with an honest insight gives you no cause to call someone a moron. Look in the mirror, my friend.
Old November 30, 2013, 08:21 PM   #72
dgludwig

Quote:
Lol sorry guys I meant some decent *glass*
I know you did. I was just messing with you.

And welcome to The Firing Line!

Last edited by dgludwig; December 1, 2013 at 09:55 AM.
Old December 1, 2013, 04:14 AM   #73
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
I agree with you-but I doubt any serious firearm aficionado would ever settle for one rifle.
Quote:
@L_kilkenny
I don't believe that is what was said.

I also agree with the idea that most fans of guns probably would not have only one rifle, unless some limiting factor exists.
That is not the same as saying that you are not a gun fan if you only have one rifle.

There was also no mention of ability
Old December 8, 2013, 05:27 PM   #74
Jimmy96a1

Only one? Try none!

I really enjoy hunting and target shooting but i had to sell my model 94 winchester when i was 19 and payin the rent was kind of important.. since then i have not had a rifle.. just my beretta lol. But! Inside info from my brother who still lives at home tells me ill have a new .308 after xmas! Im broke as **** living paycheck to paychexk to stay independant and i for one will gladly take the one rifle lifestyle over the no rifle lifestyle.. and ive never even shot a .308 but ill take it!
Old December 8, 2013, 06:04 PM   #75
Meeteetse

Grew up in Wyoming believing that a Winchester Mdl. 70 in 30/06, a good .22 rifle and a Remington 870 pump shotgun was all anyone ever needed. Many of the ranch families I know still believe that and still hold to it. Many have added a Win. 94 in 30/30 but nothing much beyond that.

For years that is all I had except that I changed to .308 caliber sometime back in the 1960's. When I grew up I decided that I had to have more, and over the years I have tried about everything, plus I have added handguns. Well, 50+ years have gone by and even though I enjoy owning several different rifles, especially bolt and lever guns, I now realize that the original idea of having fewer good guns is still a good idea.

My son will benefit, because I am in the process of eliminating several firearms. I intend to go back to no more than two rifles in .308, two in .22 and one or two leverguns in either 30/30 or perhaps .357 or 45 Colt to go with handguns in the same caliber.

Is one rifle good for everything, probably not, but neither is a safe full of rifles that never get used. I would rather have fewer guns that I enjoy and use and sell the rest, purchase ammo and practice more. That is just me, a dinosaur that has been through the collector/accumulator idea and now I'm headed in the other direction. Nothing wrong with a specialized tool for every job, but one good tool and the skill to use it well is a good plan also.