The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 7, 2011, 07:32 PM   #1
gunslinger4590

Colt series 80 or 70???

Friends,

I have a Colt that is kind of buggy. It looks just like a Series 70.
Blue combat commander, commander hammer, all of that, short trigger, all steel construction. Small sigthts like Series 70. Gun is very nice, but has seen some use. Little carry wear. The things looks all Series 70 but the shop sold it as a Series 80 because the serial number begins with an 80. it is 80DDDDDDDDD like all series 80 guns. Every characteristic save the serial number says Series 70 I am very familar with the Series 80 and its larger sights and long trigger. What the heck? The last Series 70, but stamped 80?

I bet someone knows

gunslinger
Old August 7, 2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Sport45

Welcome to The Firing Line!

Does the gun have a firing pin safety? Look for a small plunger on the bottom of the slide and a lever on the top of the frame that raises when the trigger is pulled.

And ask the moderators to move this thread to the semiauto handgun forum before it is deleted for being off-topic. There are rules for posting, you know...
Old August 7, 2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Sodbuster

Welcome aboard. gunslinger4590. Commanders were never considered as being Series-70 pistols, only the Government models, which also had a collet bushing. Check out the interesting link below, and read the first large paragraph which begins with some history.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old August 7, 2011, 08:42 PM   #4
RickB

The larger sights that are characteristic of the Series 80 showed up a year or two after Series 80 itself was introduced, so it's possible to have a Series 80 Commander with the smaller, G.I. sights. If there's so Series 80 firing pin block, it's not Series 80 regardless of what other features it has or doesn't have.