The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2007, 12:33 PM   #1
steelrat

Primer Seating Depth

I'm having some issues with seating my primers. I have the RCBS hand primer tool and can't get any consistency out of it. In the instructions it says that the primer depth should be between .003" and .005" I put a case in and pull the handle and feel the primer seat, then give it a little extra squeeze and some times it works, sometimes it goes too far. I've measured cases that range anywhere from .002" and .010". Any suggestions on what I can do to get consistent depths? Thanks for all the info.
Old February 16, 2007, 12:42 PM   #2
30Cal

Cut the primer pockets to a uniform depth (or clean them if they've been fired).
Old February 16, 2007, 01:09 PM   #3
steelrat

If I did that then it would push them in beond the .003" to .005" depth?
Old February 16, 2007, 01:27 PM   #4
lockedcj7

I always thought that you just wanted the primer to seat completely in the pocket (i.e. the metal of the cup is against the metal of the pocket.)

If it's not seated completely, won't it give when the the firing pin hits it? Wouldn't this cause a slightly delayed ignition or (worst-case) no ignition?

I use a Lee hand-priming tool and I just seat them until I feel them hit bottom.
Old February 16, 2007, 01:32 PM   #5
Wild Bill Bucks

It takes some practice to get good consistency, It took me a while to get the right feel for it also. I don't measure my depth, I just try to get the primers level with the brass so they don't go in to far, or rock when I stand them on a flat counter.
Old February 16, 2007, 07:17 PM   #6
cheygriz

The primer should ALWAYS be seated to the bottom of the pocket!! NO EXCEPTIONS! It's impossible to seat a primer too deep!

Failure to seat to the bottom of the pocket can cause misfires, and poor accuracy. The primer anvil should be resting solidly on the bottom of the pocket when the firing pin strikes it.
Old February 16, 2007, 07:20 PM   #7
G56

Theoretically you can crush a primer if it's seated too deep, that can cause a misfire, in practice I've never seen that though.
Old February 16, 2007, 07:33 PM   #8
cheygriz

G56,

You are absolutely correct. You can crush the primer with too much force. I've done it!

But the primer should be seated as deep as possible without crushing.

Ideally, the pocked should be formed so that the top of the primer will be .005 below flush with a properly seated primer. In reality, pockets are formed that will only allow the primer to be seated flush, in one extreme, and seated as much a .015 deep on the other extreme. the primer should be indented approx. .020 when fired.

Most guns have a firing pin protrusion of at least .025 to allow reliable ignition with the vatiations in primer pocket depth. One of my AK-47s has a pin protrusion of .067!
Old February 16, 2007, 07:53 PM   #9
mjrodney

You worry too much.

You are not going too far.

Seat the primer about as firmly as a good handshake and so it's slightly below the surface of the brass.

Go shoot.

Measure your group sizes, not your primer depth.
Old February 16, 2007, 07:56 PM   #10
cheygriz

mjrodney Good response!