The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 25, 2017, 08:11 PM   #1
OhioGuy

Got to shoot the M2.0 Compact!

I really didn't take the effort to do any kind of throw range review on this. All I can say is that I was actually quite pleasantly surprised at how well the gun handled, how well it fit my hand, and how easily I was able to adapt to using it. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I do not remember enjoying the full size 2.0 nearly as much. Having recently tried out the Glock 19 generation 5, I can say that I am more impressed with the Smith & Wesson somehow. I have no particular allegiance to any gun brand. The one thing that really makes me scratch my head though, is that this compact is clearly aimed at a concealed carry Market, but the texture on the grip is so overly rough that I'm sure it would tear skin right off of me if I actually had it up against my body. I think a holster with a full sweat shield would be a necessity! Or else putting some manner of tape on the side that touches me. Even through my undershirt fabric it felt like a cheese grater.

If they release a Subcompact competitor to the Glock 26 I may have to seriously consider getting one, so long as I can do something about that coarse texture!

What are other people's impressions? I found the trigger quite enjoyable. World apart from the first model.
Old September 25, 2017, 08:12 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Some people use a mild sandpaper. Personally I wear a shirt underneath.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 25, 2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Eazyeach

Where did you find one ? I haven't seen any at my local shops. North of Dayton. I'd like to get one before the rebate deal runs out.
Old September 25, 2017, 09:03 PM   #4
disseminator

Brownells has em for 439.99!

http://www.brownells.com/firearms/ha...ku=100-025-712
Old September 26, 2017, 06:29 AM   #5
Spats McGee
Staff

The M&P 2.0 Compact is the most interesting of the "G19 Killers" that I've read about. Looking forward to handling one.
Old September 26, 2017, 07:21 AM   #6
Chui

Wear an undershirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old September 26, 2017, 11:14 AM   #7
Sharkbite

I have one ordered, should be in today. I plan on taking a very mild (1000grit) paper to mine. Just enough to take the edges off the stippling.

Once I prove the gun reliable, it will be my EDC. AIWB with a shirt under it.
Old September 26, 2017, 01:01 PM   #8
TunnelRat

One thing I'd note is sometimes the stippling will smooth out on its own from use.

Old September 26, 2017, 01:43 PM   #9
sigarms228

I was able to handle a M&P 2.0 Compact today and dry fire it. I really liked it but trigger reach was on the short side for me especially with the trigger breaking so far back.

I believe that it comes with the medium grip on it and there are two larger grips in the case. Anyone know if the larger grips increase reach to the trigger significantly on an M&P 2.0 pistol?
Old September 26, 2017, 03:57 PM   #10
TunnelRat

They do add material to where the web of the hand rides so I would think it would change trigger reach.

Old September 26, 2017, 07:06 PM   #11
sigarms228

Thanks. Next time at a LGS I will have to see if I can try out the large one. I think they may even have a display with blue guns with the different grips on.
Old September 26, 2017, 09:17 PM   #12
Uncle Malice

Also, the Apex FSS kit will be out for the M2.0 guns soon. That will help with trigger reach.
Old September 27, 2017, 05:28 AM   #13
Chui

I handled one at my LGS and, damn, it felt good.

Old September 27, 2017, 09:50 AM   #14
Sharkbite

Mine came in. Shot it a little last night, maybe 50 rounds. The gun feels and balances GOOD. in comparing it to my fullsize and 9c it splits the size difference nicely.

The stippiling is ROUGH the good news is it is easy to sand it down to exactly what you want. I think its a winner.

A couple hundred more rounds and it will be my EDC pistol.
Old September 27, 2017, 07:49 PM   #15
Eazyeach

My favorite fun store finally got them in and one came home with me today. Didn't have time to shoot but I've fondled it quite a bit. You are right about the grip , it is rough. But it seems like after a handful of range sessions it might "break in" so to speak. The ergonomics are awesome. Fits my hand like a glove.

Filled out my rebate card. Really great rebate. Better hurry if you want it.

My very first double stack 9mm was a first gen M&P full size. Didn't like the trigger so I sold it. The 2.0 trigger is way smoother and feels lighter as well. Got a gen 3 glock 19 next. Trigger was better but it got too slippery after a couple mags and my sweaty mitts. I think the grip on the 2.0 compact will help that a lot. I think I've finally found a striker pistol that I'll actually keep. Well that and my shield.
Old September 27, 2017, 07:50 PM   #16
Eazyeach

Time to find a holster. Anybody making them yet?
Old September 27, 2017, 09:07 PM   #17
Sharkbite

My blackhawk serpa (without the finger lock) fits the 2.0. My G-code AIWB, does not. A little heat from a heat gun may cure the slight interference from the rail.
Old September 27, 2017, 09:20 PM   #18
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Time to find a holster. Anybody making them yet?
The holsters for the 4.25 model fit perfectly since the frame dimensions are identical other than the grip. I got the Concealment Express kydex to start and also ordered the Stealth Gear appendix iwb.
Old September 28, 2017, 12:46 PM   #19
Omaney

I bought a full sized 2.0 a few weeks ago. After about 20 minutes of dry fire, I had to go down to the garage and sand the grip areas. A very quick once over with 320 knocked down the hurt but maintained the gripsion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old September 28, 2017, 05:06 PM   #20
JohnO

Saw one today, in the display case at the range where I work. Ran over to the rental guns and....there it was. Pulled it off the rack and off to the range.

Having an apex FFS in my full size, I didn't care much for the trigger. However, the gun felt great.

I've always felt the G19 was one of the most "size efficient" guns made. Yet, mfgs chose to make models larger or smaller. It's about time they are getting on board with a true compact.

Anyone liking the M&P models will love this gun. Now that I can have a G19 sized gun which fits my hand, I can sell off my personal G19 for the Smith.
Old September 28, 2017, 07:28 PM   #21
Sharkbite

Quote:
The holsters for the 4.25 model fit perfectly since the frame dimensions are identical other than the grip.
Not quite. The 2.0 is taller from the top of the slide to the bottom of the rail by JUST enough to cause some holster issues.

G-code specifically says its M&P holsters dont fit the 2.0, my INCOG holster fits all my 1.0(?) M&P's...does NOT fit my 2.0 compact. Safariland ALS duty holster dont lock properly on the 2.0 without a special mod.

So, some fit....some dont.
Old September 28, 2017, 09:51 PM   #22
OhioGuy

SimTrainer in Dayton is where I got to try it. It's a member's only range. I expect they'll be widely available everywhere soon enough.

Holding it next to the full-size, I was really kind of surprised that the shrinkage is so minor. Length difference is practically negligible, and grip length isn't changed THAT much either.

It's clear they're taking direct aim at Glock here, so if they continue the trend and produce a G26 competitor, where the dimensions are appreciably smaller but can use extended magazines, they'll have something that I would truly be interested in. The 5" grip isn't hard to conceal AIWB (which is how I usually carry) but the 7"+ length is a bear to deal with when riding down the front. And carrying strong-side, the length is no longer a problem but a 5" grip prints like crazy in the kinds of clothing I wear.

The "perfectly sized" guns for me so far have been the XD Mod.2 Subcompact, and PX4 subcompact (which I ended up not choosing, but the size is truly livable). Short muzzles, 13 round capacities. G26 with a 12 round is great too--but for some reason I just don't like the way the G26 fits my hand.

Anyways, that's all irrelevant--I suspect an M2.0 in a comparable size would be something that would fit a real need for a lot of people. The 1.0 compact was a great size, I thought.

It's a very good shooter, though, and it felt "better" to me (and I shot better with it) than the Gen5 G19 I'd used just a week earlier.
Old September 28, 2017, 10:08 PM   #23
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Not quite. The 2.0 is taller from the top of the slide to the bottom of the rail by JUST enough to cause some holster issues.

G-code specifically says its M&P holsters dont fit the 2.0, my INCOG holster fits all my 1.0(?) M&P's...does NOT fit my 2.0 compact. Safariland ALS duty holster dont lock properly on the 2.0 without a special mod.

So, some fit....some dont.
You misunderstood my post.

The 2.0 Compact fits the same holsters as the 2.0 4.25 "full size" version.... i was not referring to holsters for the first gen.
Old September 29, 2017, 09:44 AM   #24
Sharkbite

Ahhhhh..... got it.

Yep, 2.0 to 2.0 holster. Good to go.
Old September 29, 2017, 01:24 PM   #25
Eazyeach

Just need an Uncle Mike's. Maybe a couple promags.