The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 30, 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
baddarryl

So I got Fiber Optic thinking they were night sights!

Ooops! Bought a brand new Gen 4 G19 the other day and had the shop throw some HiViz fiber optics on it. Thought it looked great as I have seen these sights at the range. Get home, turn off light, nothing. Nada, zilch. Nothing like wasting $100. I am hoping they will take them back. What should I get for true night sights without all this fiber optic hocus pocus crap? Thanks.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:04 PM   #2
DasGuy

There are a lot of good brands. Trijicon and Meprolights are probably the most popular, as 3 dot sights go. There are other styles such as Heinie straight 8s and XS dot sights as well.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:06 PM   #3
alex0535

tritium glows pretty reliably, its glow is produced by radioactive decay... In 11 or 12 years from its production it will be half as bright due to half of the tritium being decayed.

Its a safe amount of radiation, but it will glow in the dark for a decade.

It a whole different sort of "hocus pocus" that relies on nuclear decay but it is a very reliable process that will make your sight glow for a decade.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:19 PM   #4
DasGuy

Also what alex said. The sights you want are the ones that have tritium inserts as the dots.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:41 AM   #5
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Fiber optic sights are good for tactical target shooting. Bad if you intend to be in dark rooms without a light source. In pitch black you won't be able to see your FO's. But if you are anywhere you need night sights it might be prudent to have a weapon light of some kind. I keep thinking about our low light scenario shoot this last league. Night sights were a must if no flashlight was available, but even then a flashlight (weapon mounted even better) without night sights may have been a better choice. Try it in a realistic scenario where you have enough light to identify your target and see if you can't pick up those sights.
Old December 1, 2012, 03:32 PM   #6
baddarryl

I put a set of Trijicon's on it and that is what I wanted. It is my main carry gun. I also shoot IDPA with it. I think for pure comp those HiViz are the way to go and when I finally get a dedicated comp gun those will be on it. But for carry being the main purpose I think the Trijicons will be the way to go. I can certainly use them at the range too.

As for check the HiViz in low light, I honestly think the factory Glock sights are better in dusk type light.
Thanks everyone.