The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 25, 2020, 10:05 AM   #1
PolarFBear

Looking for a "suppressor"

I feel the time has come. Looking for a "suppressor/sliencer/can" that will be compatible with a AR-15 style rifle AND a semi-automatic .22 hand gun. I know only about 1% of what I WILL need to know. All suggestions welcomed.
Old October 25, 2020, 10:46 AM   #2
Sharkbite

Congrats on getting into stamp collecting.

The 2 needs you have expressed, 223 AND 22lr could not be further apart, unfortunately.

A rimfire can needs to be taken apart to be cleaned. The VAST majority of Rifle (223) cans are sealed.

The other issue is size. A 223 can will be 3-4 times the size and WAY heavier. Its just not practical to have one can for both.
Old October 25, 2020, 11:07 AM   #3
PolarFBear

Thanks Sharkbite. Now I have 2% knowledge. I had based my potential acquisition purely on bullet size, .22-.223. Figured one would do both. I'm wrong. So MUCH to learn.
Old October 25, 2020, 11:31 AM   #4
Sharkbite

You are welcome.

Bullet size is one factor. Uncorking pressure ( the gas pressure as the bullet leaves the muzzle and enters the can), gas volume and the ability to clean, are all thing that need to be considered.
Old October 25, 2020, 01:45 PM   #5
FrankenMauser

A dedicated rimfire can is definitely the way to go.
Rimfire ammo, with very few exceptions, is absolutely filthy and any suppressor that sees rimfire use must be cleaned frequently.

Centerfire rifle cans, however, don't really need to be cleaned (or even capable of being cleaned by the user) unless you shoot cast bullets.

There are a large number of .223/5.56 cans on the market, ranging from garbage to excellent. Unfortunately, I don't know that market segment well enough to make a good recommendation. (For centerfire, mine are .30 cal or larger.)

For rimfire, I like the SilencerCo Sparrow .22 and Tactical Solutions Ascent .22. They are both good suppressors, affordable, well made, light weight, small diameter*, and easier to clean than their peers. *(I can still use the sights on my Buckmarks, with the Ascent; where most rimfire cans would require more height - like a red dot.)
Even those two very similar suppressors aren't exactly alike, though. The Sparrow can handle some hotter cartridges, like .22 Hornet and 5.7x28mm; whereas the Ascent is rimfire-only (but lighter).

Look around, read reviews, see what interests you.

One small bit of advice that I will offer for rimfire, is to ignore the Bowers Bitty. Though an affordable, adorably small, light rimfire suppressor, it is not really suitable for use on a pistol. It was designed with rifle-length barrels in mind, and that is where it belongs. It doesn't offer sufficient sound attenuation on pistols.

And a note, on the market, overall: Bowers doesn't get talked about much, but their suppressors are well made, well liked, and their customer service is amazing.
Old October 26, 2020, 02:19 PM   #6
raimius

Some things you will want to consider are what gun and what you are looking for from the can (max sound reduction, ease of switching guns, size, weight, ease of cleaning, what calibers it will work with, min barrel length rating, etc).

For rimfire, ease of cleaning is very important.
For centerfire, you may want to consider a .30cal can (potentially one with multiple end caps for different calibers). Especially with some of the QD mounts, you can swap the can between multiple guns easily.
Old October 26, 2020, 05:54 PM   #7
Warhammer

As others have said, rimfire cans get really dirty really fast. This is especially true on handguns or shorter carbines, where there is not enough barrel length to burn the powder in a 22LR case. Add to that the exposed lead bullet on most rimfire ammo, and you get a lot of lead and carbon buildup inside a rimfire can.

I prefer a small diameter (1 inch), monocore design for rimfire. They're easier to disassemble and clean than stacked baffles, and you don't have to worry about baffles getting stuck together. The smaller diameter is less likely to interfere with the original sights on your host gun. It's tempting to try to use a larger caliber can as a one-size-fits-all solution, but a can with a larger diameter bore will be less effective at suppressing the noise.

Last edited by Warhammer; October 26, 2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old October 26, 2020, 07:23 PM   #8
dogtown tom

Quote:
Warhammer

I prefer a small diameter (1 inch), monocore design for rimfire. They're easier to disassemble and clean than stacked baffles, and you don't have to worry about baffles getting stuck together.
Monocore is also louder than a baffle design of the same length and diameter.
It is the least popular rimfire design.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 16, 2020, 10:39 PM   #9
Road_Clam

All these guys are spot on . I tried using my Sig SRD762 .30 cal supressor on my Ruger American 22LR bolt action rifle. Made almost no decrease in sound . Supressors are designed to work best within a specific window of gas volume and pressure. You can "try" to crossover apply a supressor to a different caliber but it simply wont work well, and you may actually harm your supressor. My personal example was when i decided to try my Griffin Rev45 piston type handgun can on my 5.56 AR15 . The intense internal gasses heat killed the internal piston spring and i had all kinds of loose fitting parts issues until i figured out what happened. Running a lower pressure / heat can on a higher pressure / heat application will end up bad. Luckily i was legally able to purchase replacement piston parts. Had i had internal baffle issues, i would have been SOL, as you can't legally purchase replacement baffles or the main body tube.
Old November 17, 2020, 01:02 PM   #10
dogtown tom

Quote:
Road_Clam..... Had i had internal baffle issues, i would have been SOL, as you can't legally purchase replacement baffles or the main body tube.
Not SOL, its just a quick trip to any gunsmith who can legally replace your damaged baffles.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old November 17, 2020, 05:40 PM   #11
jpx2rk

Something to consider is future use or acquisition of a larger caliber firearm. I have a 30 cal Silencerco Harvester model that I use on 20 cal up to 6x45. 6x45 is the largest bore I have, and it works very well. I have all of my barrels threaded for this one suppressor, and changing it over is a 2 minute deal, just being careful with the threading.

I have two 22lr suppressors, just cause I bought the above 30 cal when they had a BOGO deal going on.