The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 2, 2020, 10:04 AM   #1
taylorce1

Suppressors and Chronographs?

Still using my old Pro Chrono, and thinking it's time to upgrade. Looking at Magnetospeed V3 (shooting suppressed) or LabRadar mainly and weighing the pros and cons, either one should provide me with reliable data. The way I look at it the V3 is the more complete kit for $330, the LR is still going to cost $600+ by the time I add a battery pack, RAT, and a few other misc items to make it work better. If I buy a mounting system for the V3 like what Wiser sells, then there isn't a good reason not to go LR as it narrows the gap on overall cost quite a bit.

However, the Wiser mount got me thinking why not the MS Sporter? I haven't found a great answer either way if the Sporter works well with suppressors on the Wiser mount or not. The Sporter and Wiser mount would have me less than the cost of a V3 kit and less than 1/2 the price of an LR. The Wiser mount would also remove POI shift from the Chrono hanging on the Suppressors.

Anyone try this combination?
Old September 4, 2020, 08:06 PM   #2
Txhillbilly

I've always just put the V3 on the can. Yes,the POI changes a little,but the group sizes have always been pretty much the same on every gun I shoot.
IMO,It's a waste of money buying any of the remote setup's that are being promoted unless you're shooting pencil or sporter contour barrels.
Any heavy sporter,magnum,or varmint contour barrel that I've ever shot with the V3 on,the POI change was very small.
Old September 5, 2020, 12:37 PM   #3
DukeConnor

My labradar had trouble hearing the shot with the can. The doppler setting was hit and miss. We bought a trigger mechanism that straps to the rifle to trigger the labradar. It works well but it will trigger with cycling the bolt.
Old September 5, 2020, 06:57 PM   #4
jpx2rk

Range buddy uses a LR and suppressor on everything he shoots, never heard him complain about any issues with the LR & suppressors. I have no experience with the LR, have a sporter Magneto, it does affect the groups +/- so I don't use it 100% of the time. I've not tried mine with a suppressor but attaching it to the suppressor might work.
Old September 6, 2020, 01:02 AM   #5
Machineguntony

I use the LabRadar with all my silenced pistols and rifles. To reliably work, you need the microphone adapter, which LabRadar sells. I love the LabRadar. It’s great and very accurate.

I agree, it’s on the expensive side, though. That’s the main downside.

A note: do not buy the battery pack they sell on their website. You can find the exact same battery or better on Amazon for way cheaper.
Old September 8, 2020, 08:59 AM   #6
taylorce1

I will probably go LR, but I like the compactness of the MS. My old ProChrono works great when I'm not out in the middle of the day. From about 10 am to 6 pm even with the diffusers on I get more errors than I'll tolerate. With my work schedule being 100% with on call and no scheduled days off, I have to shoot when I can not when I want to. So I need a chronograph that works 99.9% of the time in all conditions of light, barring any operator error.