The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 2, 2020, 01:10 PM   #1
ErwinL

SEAL Team 6 raid in Nigeria

Yesterday, the main headlines were covered with information that SEAL Team 6 operators rescued a U.S. citizen in Nigeria after being abducted in Niger. According to the available information, they parachuted near the designated target and in a daring raid rescued hostage and eliminated 6 terrorists.

Ok, I have read a lot about probably most badass operators in the world, but there isn't a lot of information about their favorite firearm in recent years. The MP7 looks like a quite nice gadget, I didn't have an opportunity to see it or to shot it. I had the opportunity to shot from various submachine guns (HK MP5, CZ EVO, CZ v.61, B&T).

I am wondering how good is the MP7 compared to regular submachine guns and in your opinion how often they use it in the building clearing?

Old November 2, 2020, 02:22 PM   #2
TXAZ

Those who know don’t tell.
Those who tell don’t know.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 3, 2020, 12:26 PM   #3
GE-Minigun

TXAZ...you don't know what you're talking about...I was there! Won't speak for my team members, but I always carry a 88 Magnum, cause it shoots through schools and if it will go through those, it should drop mister bad guy RFN...
Old November 3, 2020, 01:40 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

The MP7 is a regular SMG. Its main advantage is its size and weight. And if the Boat People(who get to use the tools suited to the job. Just like all SF types.) used the 4.6 mm x 30 ammo it has range advantages over the 9mm Para too. As in 450 rounds, that are accurate out to about 100 yards vs ~ 50 yards.
Old November 3, 2020, 08:49 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Lighter and more compact that the HK MP-5.

Probably faster and easier to clean too.
Old November 4, 2020, 05:14 AM   #6
HiBC

ErwinL

I'm asking this because I don't know.

Is there any reason to believe Seal Team Six chose this particular SMG for this raid?
Old November 4, 2020, 10:05 AM   #7
Sharkbite

Quote:
Is there any reason to believe Seal Team Six chose this particular SMG for this raid?
Im sure the assault team used a wide range of weapons. MP7’s, 416’s, MK 46’s, whatever they are using for “Sniper rifles” ....
Old November 4, 2020, 02:58 PM   #8
cslinger

Something tells me the most boring pieces of kit from ANY tier 1 special operations group are their weapons. They are tools they sling lead. My guess is not much super interesting and M4/MK18s/416s rule the roost.

Now where I imagine the real secret squirrel cool stuff comes into play is infiltration/exfiltration equipment/vehicles, bleeding edge optics/night vision/surveillance/targeting gear etc. bleeding edge drone tech.

All that said I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody doesn’t have one of those Textron rifles or three to play with.
Old November 23, 2020, 08:47 PM   #9
dakota.potts

Quote:
Lighter and more compact that the HK MP-5.

Probably faster and easier to clean too.
I don't know about easier to clean. Just push the stock pins out of the MP5 and the bolt assembly will pop out which is 90% of your cleaning right there.

The MP7 is a surprisingly complicated little beast that uses a gas tappet system like their G36 and 416. It's the smallest bore gas-driven firearm I can think of off the top of my head, and certainly among those that are produced in number (The Brits experimented with a 4.6mm cartridge for the L85 and we may have as well during Project Salvo, but I can't think of any that actually made it to production).

Tags
heckler and koch , mp7 , seal team 6