The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 23, 2020, 12:14 PM   #26
Slopemeno

Tom Knapp was awesome. I used to watch his videos back in my USPSA days.
Old October 24, 2020, 05:06 PM   #27
FireForged

Quote:
Sure, but how good are they?

Can you name any self-taught violinists who are now concertmasters with a major symphony orchestra?
was Eddie Van Halen good enough? Eddie was reportedly self taught, didnt take lessons and never read music. He is considered to have been one of the top 10 greatest guitar players of ALL TIME.

Self taught (experts) in many fields are not all that uncommon. The fact is that the most efficient and often the most (safe) way to gain knowledge/skill is to be taught. It does not mean that a person who has not been formally taught cannot reach the same level of skill, its simply that it would likely take much longer and without the a traditionally structured foundation.

I am a strong proponent of training and training certainly helps in most instances. Lets just not pretend that this stuff is rocket science or that people cannot figure it out on their own. Much of what is often memorialized in training are methods and techniques constructed and developed by numerous individuals all on their own.

How far can aimless practice go? Far enough

A person should probably not be a stranger to point shooting. Its a little naïve to assume that the chaos of fighting and combat will always allow for the traditional sighted aiming of weapons.

Last edited by FireForged; October 24, 2020 at 10:05 PM.
Old October 24, 2020, 05:22 PM   #28
Jim Watson

Quote:
was Eddie Van Halen good enough?
Well, he was good enough to get popular and sell records and do concerts.
But I am not a musician and can't say whether he was a technically proficient player.

But I can score a target and read a timer, which makes evaluating shooting straightforward.

Practice: A friend went to an IDPA match today with only limited practice. I was comparing her scores to the stage descriptions. Sure enough, she did best on what she was able to practice and worse on what she was not able to practice. Not many places to work on your moving target shooting.
Old October 24, 2020, 06:55 PM   #29
Mannlicher

I spend my range time, and my money, with the intention of pleasing myself, satisfying myself, and pursuing my own goals. I do not spend a lot of time wondering about the motives and aspirations of others.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan