The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 11, 2019, 05:06 PM   #1
dyl

ASR? Key-Mo? What?

Anyone know about this?

I've got an Octane 9 and a Hybrid 46 on the way. I'd like to attach it to a 9mm barrel and maybe 300 blackout, and a 458 socom barrel.

I've read that the ASR is the original attachment system. Not sure if it is usable for both silencers.

But I've read that some people switch to a "Key-Mo" mount. Why? What's wrong with an ASR?

When I think chemo, I think of something else. Is the "key-mo" usable for both an Octane and a Hybrid? For both 9mm and 458 Socom?

Before I go buying stuff I should see what actually comes with my silencers when my wait is over. I made some kind of selection when I ordered it but that was so long ago I forget what it was for. An end cap maybe?
Old November 11, 2019, 11:04 PM   #2
9x19

My Omega 300 came with their ASR quick mounting setup. I have three different weapons setup that way, two .30s and one 6.5. I haven't had any issues, so haven't looked into any other mounting options.

My Octane 45K is used as a direct thread... When I bought mine there was no ASR solution made for it. It came with the piston spring/retainer and one direct thread mount. I bought a second mount in a different thread size, as I use it on 9mm and 10mm weapons with both 5/8-24 and 1/2-28 thread sizes. I only have one piston, but it never gets used, since I'm not a silenced pistol fan.

I've seen mention of a 3-lug quick mounting system for the Octane, but haven't looked into it any further, as my current use doesn't demand anything different.
Old November 13, 2019, 02:37 PM   #3
dedrevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyl View Post
Anyone know about this?

I've got an Octane 9 and a Hybrid 46 on the way. I'd like to attach it to a 9mm barrel and maybe 300 blackout, and a 458 socom barrel.

I've read that the ASR is the original attachment system. Not sure if it is usable for both silencers.

But I've read that some people switch to a "Key-Mo" mount. Why? What's wrong with an ASR?

When I think chemo, I think of something else. Is the "key-mo" usable for both an Octane and a Hybrid? For both 9mm and 458 Socom?

Before I go buying stuff I should see what actually comes with my silencers when my wait is over. I made some kind of selection when I ordered it but that was so long ago I forget what it was for. An end cap maybe?
ASR is silencerco's mounting system, even if silencerco does not off a direct mount or adapter to run on the octane 9 or hybrid (which i think they do), 3rd party companies sometimes make adapters. I have a liberty suppressor and I can buy an adapter run either the ASR or Key-mo on my can (haven't decided which yet). I believe Dead air makes a keymo that already is threaded for a few silencerco models and does not need an adapter.

Current online reviews say the Key-mo (short for key mount) is the best mount on the market but its MSRP is $250 compared to the MSRP of the ASR mount being only $133.

Also something to consider is the availability of muzzle devices for whichever mount you go with. Some 9mm barrels are threaded 1/2x36 instead of 1/2x28 and currently, dead air does not make a keymo 1/2x36 muzzle device
Old November 14, 2019, 05:18 PM   #4
dyl

Thanks for the clarification. Good thing I always got my 9mm threaded barrels in 1/2 x 28. But wow 200 some dollars for a little mounting system. Well if it keeps someone from having to tighten it every few rounds it may be worth it
Old November 17, 2019, 09:18 AM   #5
Road_Clam

IMO the individualized "QD" systems are nothing but proprietary wallet bait. All my supressors are direct mount. I also but fixed threaded adaptors or end caps if available to be multi-caliber use. My Griffin Rev45 was born as dedicated as .45 pistol , but I bought the optional .22 and 9mm end caps, and I have .578x28 , 5/8-24 and 1/2-28 threaded caps. I can configure the supressor to also shoot 22LR , 300BO and 9mm . I don't shoot supersonic rifle calibers through this supressor as it's not necessary, I also have a Sig SRD762 Ti suppressor that's more suited for 5.56 or .30 cal rifle.

I also had issues with my Rev45 coming loose on my FNX45T after only 1 mag , I now use a small rubber oring and that seems to work very good at keeping the can tight on the threads.
Old November 20, 2019, 02:01 PM   #6
dedrevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
IMO the individualized "QD" systems are nothing but proprietary wallet bait. All my supressors are direct mount. I also but fixed threaded adaptors or end caps if available to be multi-caliber use. My Griffin Rev45 was born as dedicated as .45 pistol , but I bought the optional .22 and 9mm end caps, and I have .578x28 , 5/8-24 and 1/2-28 threaded caps. I can configure the supressor to also shoot 22LR , 300BO and 9mm . I don't shoot supersonic rifle calibers through this supressor as it's not necessary, I also have a Sig SRD762 Ti suppressor that's more suited for 5.56 or .30 cal rifle.

I also had issues with my Rev45 coming loose on my FNX45T after only 1 mag , I now use a small rubber oring and that seems to work very good at keeping the can tight on the threads.
QD systems are way overpriced for sure. But I see the benefits: taper engagement can be even more precise than a 90 shoulder if machined correctly, and for someone like me, I can stop switching between muzzle brake and suppressors since there is a brake under the suppressor haha.
The threading for mounts into cans may be proprietary, but by law, companies have to disclose the thread pitch/pattern so if you wanted to form 1 and use a mount from someone you still could. Also, i can use adapters and run multiple brands of cans on the same mount/brake. Like I plan to do with my liberty and silencerco.
Old November 20, 2019, 02:02 PM   #7
dedrevil

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. Good thing I always got my 9mm threaded barrels in 1/2 x 28. But wow 200 some dollars for a little mounting system. Well if it keeps someone from having to tighten it every few rounds it may be worth it
I have seen them out of stock but on sale for less than $200, Ive decided Im going with the Keymo for my cosmic 45 and the next can (maybe an omega 300), more versatile if I even build and over suppressor upper the keymo will still work whereas the asr would not
Old November 20, 2019, 04:12 PM   #8
Theohazard

Key-Mo is better than ASR, hands down. ASR has problems with carbon-locking and sometimes coming loose.

QD attachment systems like Key-Mo and ASR that mount to proprietary muzzle devices are designed for rifle calibers. The reason for cross-compatibility between companies is because SilencerCo was the first major company to offer rifle silencers that had removable mounting systems, and since those cans were so popular (specifically the Omega), other companies designed their mounting systems to fit SilencerCo’s cans.

If you want to mount your Octane using a QD system to a fixed barrel, you’ll have to go 3-lug. SilencerCo has made two different 3-lug mounts over the years that will fit (the only difference is length) and some other companies use the same dimension threads so theirs will fit the Octane also (Griffin is the only one I know of off the top of my head).
Old December 11, 2019, 12:34 AM   #9
dyl

Theohazzard, thanks. So it looks like I'm looking for a 3 lug adapter for both the 458 socom and 300 blackout. Unless I do direct thread instead correct?

9mm pistol.... I bought this "blackhawk pistol suppressor piston" that threads over my threaded barrel because it was massively on sale from JoeBob's. I hope that is correct for the Octane 9.
Old December 11, 2019, 07:54 AM   #10
Theohazard

Quote:
Theohazzard, thanks. So it looks like I'm looking for a 3 lug adapter for both the 458 socom and 300 blackout. Unless I do direct thread instead correct?
3-lug is primarily used with pistol-caliber carbines using pistol silencers. That said, you could use 3-lug with your Octane and 300 BO subs if you wanted to. And most people would probably use normal rifle-type quick-attach mounts or just direct-thread with a Hybrid and .458 SOCOM, but you could use 3-lug with it instead depending on your barrel threads, since I’ve heard that some .458 SOCOM thread pitches are different and non-standard. But if the threads are 5/8x24 then SilencerCo makes everything you’d need. If not, then you’d have to either find a thread adaptor or find another company’s 3-lug muzzle device that fit your threads.

Quote:
9mm pistol.... I bought this "blackhawk pistol suppressor piston" that threads over my threaded barrel because it was massively on sale from JoeBob's. I hope that is correct for the Octane 9.
For the most part, pistons are proprietary, so if you want to be sure it works you’d need a piston made by SilencerCo for their silencers. That said, some companies make their pistons to the same dimensions as SilencerCo, and Blackhawk might be one of them.