The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 12:23 AM   #1
deadduck357

Taurus 445 Ultra-Lite .44spl review

I got to review a Taurus 445 UL chambered in the .44 special. For a light weight snub-nose I thought there was going to be a considerable amount of recoil, I was wrong. Whether because of the 'Ribber' grip or the mild .44spl round it was very controllable. The fixed sight had POI below POA at 50 ft. but adding a little more front sight had it hitting dead center. I'm really surprised at how much I like this wheelgun.

for the full review - Taurus 445 UL
Old February 3, 2013, 03:40 PM   #2
IDAHOMIKE

Ive always liked the idea behind Taurus' small framed big bores. Never got a snub such as this, but had a 441 and 41 mag Tracker that I dearly miss.
Old February 4, 2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Ozzieman

I have one of the earlier versions of the 445. Although mine had problems from the factory it was cleaned up by a good gun smith. Cylinder clearance issue.
Nice report by the way.
One thing that surprised me was the Speer gold dot,,, 661 FPS. That’s almost walking speed.
I’m a stick in the mud and keep Silvertips in my specials, mainly because I purchased a case of them many years ago.
I don’t know how weight compares between the UL and the standard but mine with factory loads shoots much lighter than the Charter Bulldog with the same rounds.
As far as the grips, I never cared for Taurus’s soft squishy grips and I like the ones that are on mine better. As far as accuracy they compare at your 7 yard range. Never shot 50 feet so can’t comment on that.
I’m a 44 specialoholick and buy anything within my means that eats 44’s. I had doubts about this gun (It was used and I knew about the problems when I purchased it) but overall it's been a good gun and has been shot a quite a bit.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:07 PM   #4
deadduck357

I was also surprised by the slow velocity of the GD but that was average with not a lot of extreme spread.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:47 PM   #5
dgludwig

I, too, had some concerns regarding excessive recoil before shooting my 2 1/2", ported barrel, K-frame size, Model 415 revolver, chambered in .41 Magnum, but was pleasantly surprised at how controllable it is on fast, repeat shots. True, the revolver is all steel and the ported barrel may play a role in its good recoil management, but I suspect that the "soft, squishy" ribbed grip is largely responsible for its unexpected controllability.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:09 PM   #6
deadduck357

The 44spl doesn't kick the sht out of you but I think those grips did dampen the felt recoil. The recoil was similar to firing a 5" 1911, very nice.