The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 8, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1
mattamuskeet

6MM Remington

Does anyone know of a rifle that is offered in this caliber anymore???? Mine is probably 40 years old or more...My little boy(11) has killed two deer with it so far and I think I would like to own another one.

Thanks

JD
Old January 8, 2013, 02:15 PM   #2
Scorch

None of the big makers chamber for the 6mm Rem any more. You could get a Cooper or a Dakota if you are willing to pay the price, or just buy a used long action rifle and have it rebarreled.
Old January 8, 2013, 09:30 PM   #3
tjh

I have a nice Remington Model 7 in 6mm rem . I may sell
Old January 9, 2013, 07:23 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Try Gunbroker or Auction Arms and you should be able to find a decent condition used one for a decent price.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 9, 2013, 11:25 AM   #5
mach1.3

I have an old Remington 600 carbine in 6mm. I shoots great, is loud as hell and ballistically outperforms the .243 by a margin. Very accurate gun with a shortish VR barrel. It is as old as yours. It would be a good gun for an 11 y/o, it's small and light and doesn't kick all that much. These can be had on any online gun auction site but I don't know pricing. Any rifle will be chambered in .243. The model 7 mentioned is a nice gun to start a young hunter. Good hunting!
Old January 9, 2013, 03:11 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

Just sold / traded my really nice Remington 600 in 6 mm Remington... will be taking the dies, & about 100 used & 50 unfired correct head stamp brass to the next gun show next month...

I personally like the cartridge, but have a many more.243 cases, & my 1st bolt action rifle in .243, so I traded the 600 for an unfired 70's Remington 700 in 35 Whelen
Old January 9, 2013, 08:08 PM   #7
mattamuskeet

There is just something magical about the 6mm to me...It used to be really popular, too. Retail stores always had both 80 and 100 grain ammunition for it, even if they only sold 12 or 15 different calibers of rifle ammo. It makes no sense how well it kills deer, too. I reload which is good now that the 6mm is "obsolete".

I think I would love that Model 7, if it is like other Model 7's I have seen. I had thought about seeing if I could at least get an Encore barrel made in 6mm. I don't think any .243 barrel could be re-chambered because the .243 is "fatter".

JD
Old January 9, 2013, 09:27 PM   #8
Ben Towe

I'm with mattamuskeet, the little 6mm has always been dear to my heart. I killed my first deer with one. Makes me a little sad seeing it get neglected.
Old January 10, 2013, 08:20 AM   #9
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Magnum Wheel Man , You might want to recheck the date code on your unfired 70s .35 Whelen . Remington didn't legitimize the the .35 Whelen till 1987 , the same year they started chambering rifles for it . They brought it out in the 7600 and 700 at the same time .
Old January 10, 2013, 08:39 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

SAP... thanks for the info... that was my aproximation, I've never checked the code for date... just assumed that since it had the same checkering pattern, & stock charictoristics of one that one I got from my FIL, after he died, ( 1987 ) that he had shot for many years, I just assumed it was late 70's