The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 27, 2011, 06:52 PM   #1
SoonerFan

White shoulder holsters?

I'm thinking about trying an under the shoulder holster for cc. I carry a Sig P232. I wear white dress shirts very often, however, and the holsters I've seen come in black and tan. I always wear an under shirt, over which I will then have my holster, then my over shirt. I really don't want a dark holster, as this will easily show through a dress shirt. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I currently carry concealed with a cheap generic nylon padded IWB holster I bought at a gun show a couple years ago for about $7-$10. You know the type, I'm sure. I'm small framed at 5'10" and 135-140lbs, and it works pretty well if I have a shirt that's a little long untucked over it. I wear it at the small of my back with the barrel to the left and grip to the right. I am right handed. Wearing it on my hip doesn't work well for me because it seems much more obvious and is not comfortable.

My current holster doesn't allow for tucking. I also don't think I can hide a pistol as large (size is relative) as a P232 with a tuckable IWB holster being as skinny as I am.

Any thoughts from anyone with white holsters? Or anyone who is small framed with concealed carry?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might have.
Old March 27, 2011, 07:04 PM   #2
AK103K

You could try one of the "undershirt" type holsters. Kramer and 5.11 are two that come to mind right off. I have both and prefer the Kramer myself, as its more comfortable and secures the gun better.

Problem with white shirts though, is I think you'll find even a white holster is going to show, and the gun even more. I usually wore mine under a full cut, blue oxford type shirt, which worked very well.

Heres my Kramer Confidant with a Commander and a P230 in it...

http://www.kramerleather.com/product...&categoryID=21
Old March 27, 2011, 09:08 PM   #3
SoonerFan

I'll check the Kramer Confidant out. It looks very versatile. Thanks!
Old March 27, 2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Glenn Dee

Safariland makes a neat little shoulder holster out of white chrome leather, with white balistic nylon straps.
Old March 28, 2011, 10:27 AM   #5
Dave6

Ken Null makes a VERY good shoulder rig in white for wear under white shirts.

www.klnullholsters.com
Old March 28, 2011, 09:48 PM   #6
SoonerFan

Thanks for those suggestions as well.

I might be from a younger generation, but I wish some of these companies had better photos and/or videos of their products.

The only good videos I found of the Null shoulder holster are on youtube where the guy would shoot the web off his hand from his bad grip on a Seecamp.

The holsters look very promising though. Thanks again!
Old March 28, 2011, 11:43 PM   #7
CWKahrFan

Have you tried one of the 511 holster t-shirts? They come in white and black. I prefer the V-necks. They're fairly comfy in cool weather. I wear them with a thin t-shirt underneath 'cause I don't care for the nylon directly on my skin all day. Yeah, they're nylon-y and stretchy and have a slight rubbery smell... but all-in-all they support a semi and a mag snug to the body yet protected and comfortable and completely covered in "pockets" with velcro closures. I like them for a change of pace now and then. I'm glad I have a white and a black for variety.
Old March 29, 2011, 06:45 AM   #8
SoonerFan

I have been thinking about the 5.11 holster shirt. That might be my first new purchase.

I have two of the 5.11 Covert dress shirts from when they were on sale buy one get one free. They are nice, but they only had Mediums, no Smalls. So the shirt is a little larger on me than I would like. I can carry my P232 in the built in pocket, but it seems just a little bulky. My wife's new LCP slides in there and you hardly know you're carrying it.
Old March 29, 2011, 06:04 PM   #9
AK103K

I have a couple of issues with the 5.11 I have. First off, its "WHITE" and has a high, tight collar (which isnt a bad thing, the high and tight thing, its just 200 lumens "WHITE") . I look like I just got out of boot camp with it on. One thing nice with the Kramer, you can wear any color tee shirt you want under it.

Second, it doesnt hold the gun still in one place. Every time you move, the gun slides around, and seems to be in a different position. Its also about a reach around to get to it.

Third, I found it to be very hot to wear, especially in the summer.
Old March 29, 2011, 06:22 PM   #10
CWKahrFan

Yeah, the 511 Tee's ARE too hot for outside in the summer... Regarding the shifting-around thing... All my carry guns are 22 oz. or less so maybe that's why I haven't really had that problem. I find them NOT IDEAL for EDC, but like to wear them occasionally for a change of pace.
Old April 1, 2011, 12:55 AM   #11
ClydeFrog

White & custom type shoulder holsters...

The member posts here offer good selections. The Ken Null & 5.11 Tactical under-shirts are good choices.
I'd also look over a few styles here: www.Glockstore.com . Lenny Magill markets a few underwear & shirt type concealment holsters in black or white that could fit a SIG P232 .380acp.

As for white leather or custom options, I know DeSantis sells a all white honor guard type holster. They may do up a custom white leather shoulder rig but it would not be cheap, .

You best option may be a undershirt type carry system from Gunvideo.com Kramer or 5.11 Tactical.
Old April 1, 2011, 07:27 AM   #12
AK103K

I think the problem with the regular type shoulder holsters under a shirt would be the "cross" and the straps. They are usually fairly easy to see under a heavier coat, I would think with a thin shirt, they would be very obvious.

I had a Ken Null SMZ for awhile, and while it was a minimal holster, I dont think it will work as well as the undershirt holsters under a shirt. The minute you put any stress on the back of the shirt, bending forward, reaching around with your arms, ect, that cross piece and the straps are going to show, and the gun flopping around when you move would be annoying.