The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 5, 2009, 06:47 PM   #1
dev_null

Ammo Storage

Not sure if this is the right area for this, mods feel free to move as appropriate...

Not enough room in the safe, and not enough money in the bank to buy another, so guns go in the safe and ammo is stored in a footlocker with an expensive padlock. My question is not about security, but about preservation... of the ammo itself.

The trunk is pretty full (probably worth more than my 401k at today's crazy prices) and is in the garage. None of it is loose, it's all in the original boxes. This is Texas, and we're basically in a drought. As long as the garage doesn't get flooded, is this okay in terms of moisture, or would you get one of those gunsafe-sized bags of desiccant to put in there?
Old August 5, 2009, 07:51 PM   #2
DETH_LIVES

I live in Florida and my old man had 4 boxes of 380 alm case blazer in a toolbox in the garage for about 15+ yrs and it shot just fine...Just keep it dry...

Ammo cans are still the best I think...
Old August 5, 2009, 08:17 PM   #3
oneounceload

I live in FL as well - get some of those airtight green surplus cans and some small dessicant packages and you'll be just fine
Old August 7, 2009, 03:20 PM   #4
dev_null

Thanks, I guess it'll be okay then.
Old August 8, 2009, 11:45 AM   #5
johnbt

Humidity isn't a problem with ammo, but high temps and/or temp swings could be over time.

We didn't have an air conditioned house until 1965, nobody we knew did, and ammo didn't go bad sitting for years on a shelf in a closet, pantry, etc. And yes, Virginia is very humid and the British foreign service called D.C. sub-tropical.

John
Old August 8, 2009, 12:53 PM   #6
dev_null

John:

It gets 100*+ here, but at least when I left Loudoun Cty to come here I was able to let the snowshovel convey with the house.
Old August 9, 2009, 09:59 PM   #7
johnbt

The forecast for today was 100 and the forecast for tomorrow is 100, too.

At 11 p.m. it's 82 with 67% humidity.

Oh well, it is August.

John
Old August 11, 2009, 05:58 PM   #8
45Gunner

Another voice from Florida: My guns stay in a safe with the exception of the handgun on the night table and the shotgun and AR-15 above the bed. I store large amounts of ammo as I like to buy in volume as I shoot 300 to 500 rounds each visit to the range. I have a book case / wall unit that is in the loft of the second floor. The air conditioning keeps the house at a constant temperature year round and the humidity is controlled with a humidifier, all part of the same two zone system. I store ammo in the bottom of the wall unit in their original boxes and keep the door closed to the cabinet except when putting in or taking out ammo. I have never had a problem with corrosion or ammo going bad. I think the key to storing ammo is indeed a stabilized temperature and regulated humidity.
In Vietnam, the ammo always seem to fire even in the worse conditions but then again, we never stored it. Packed it, loaded it, shot it, did it again, and again, again.
NRA Life Member