The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 5, 2009, 05:08 AM   #1
cracked91

Anyone CC a full size handgun?

Does anyone use a full size or large handgun as their main CC?(ie 1911,)
Whats your carry, how do you carry, and how often do you carry?
Got another couple years for CCW but for some reason I am feelin like I am gonna want to pack more firepower, because If I get into a gunfight outside my home, it is more than likely going to be against someone else with a gun.
Old August 5, 2009, 05:15 AM   #2
armoredman

I carried a full size .40SW Witness steel frame gun in a Galco Hi Jak pancake rig under a t-shirt for years, worked just fine, no issues. I went to an alloy frame with the P01, and realized how MUCH lighter it is!
Old August 5, 2009, 09:23 AM   #3
lwestatbus

1911 Carry

I regularly carry a Kimber ProCarry 4" barrel 1911-style pistol. This has the full size grip but is just one inch shorter in the barrel than the full size and is a lighter alloy (and I have occassionally carried a full size steel frame 1911). I carry this in a MacDaniel style inside the waist holster with a thumb break over a cocked hammer (actually between the cocked hammer and the rear of the receiver/firing pin). I usually carry this on my strong side slightly to the rear of the 3:00 o'clock position with a slight forward cant. This works well while driving as well as seated or standing.

The 1911 is actually a fairly thin pistol. The Kimber Carry lines (three different combinations of grip and barrel length) are lighter than full steel models. I've had this pistol on for hours on end with only minor discomfort. I use a holster from Andrews Custom Leather which is just perfect. I choose the thumb break option as I am just inherently distrustful of a cocked and locked carry day in and day out.

If it isn't feasible to wear an outer shirt or jacket (I live in Florida) I'll carry a Walther PPKS in a pocket holster, also from Andrews.
Old August 5, 2009, 09:29 AM   #4
5whiskey

I won't, because I'm lazy and a gun is there only to mitigate risk for me. A pocket rocket built in spain in the 50s mitigates enough risk for my taste. I do have a BDE compact that isn't really a compact... sometimes in the winter I will carry that. I just don't like designing my wardrobe around my carry piece.

With that said, people do it effectively all the time. I don't blame them for carrying full size, just not my personal preference.
Old August 5, 2009, 10:03 AM   #5
Kyo

P345 at 4 oclock all the time unless its illegal such as school/public places. I carry in a simply rugged holster/belt as much as I can. Its comfy. I keep a spare mag in my back pocket
Old August 5, 2009, 10:22 AM   #6
Mello2u

I've been carrying a Colt Delta Elite since they came, out over twenty years now. Carried at 3 o'clock.

I also carry a spare mag and flashlight.

cracked91,
You used the word "firepower" in your post. This leads me to suspect that you have in your mind that a handgun has more likelihood of stopping a threat than it does have.
What would be your guess as to how long a human can continue to fight if shot through the heart with a .25 caliber bullet? with a .36 caliber bullet? with a .45 caliber bullet?
How long could a threat fight if the bullets do not encounter the heart, a major artery, major vein, or CNS?
No one really knows the answer of what an individual will do in the future. However, there are incidents of people that have fought or continued to be functional for 30 seconds when shot through the heart. 30 seconds in a gunfight is a very long time.

My point is that before you are involved in a gunfight you have to train to use cover, concealment, and movement to give you a better chance of survival. It is difficult to shoot accurately and fast. It is even more difficult to do so under the threat of losing your life. It becomes even more difficult to shoot well while moving. So plan on training and thinking about what you may have to do before you have to do it. You default to the level of your training in a situation of intense stress.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old August 5, 2009, 10:43 AM   #7
lear jet 45

I carry a sig p220 full sizes in a iwb hoster..but i am 6ft 5 and 275 lbs
Old August 5, 2009, 10:43 AM   #8
BlueTrain

While I don't even own one at the moment, I like that someone actually pointed out that a 1911 is thin, at least relative to many modern pistols. But what do people consider to be a full size handgun? A S&W Model k/l frame with a 4" barrel, a Glock Model 19, a Walther P38, a Makarov PM?

I like to think I'm "between 1911s" at the moment.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 5, 2009, 11:59 AM   #9
mike45

Right now I'm carrying a 686+ with 3 inch barrel. Usually in a holster that holds it close to the body under an un-tucked shirt (I like hawaiian shirts).

I do remember back about 1982 when a new Dirty Harry movie came out. I went to see it with a friend and decided to wear my 6 inch S&W Mod. 29 in a shoulder holster under a sport coat. We saw the movie in the afternoon, met our dates for dinner and afterwards, spent the evening out and about. After about 14 hours of carrying that boat anchor around I was worn out!
Old August 5, 2009, 12:15 PM   #10
dabigguns357

I carry a either 686 4 inch,glock 22 .40 cal every day.I don't know why but i feel very comfortable with my full sized guns.I carry both iwb and owb.
Old August 5, 2009, 12:28 PM   #11
CWPinSC

I used to carry a Steyr M40-A1, then switched to a Steyr S40, then to a Springfield XD40SC. All are easy to carry. You need the right belt and right holster.
Old August 5, 2009, 12:46 PM   #12
BigJimP

I carry a full sized 1911 5" barrel in .45 acp / in a Kramer rig - IWB forward FBI tilt ... and one extra mag. Mine happens to be a Wilson Combat CQB - but to me a 1911 is a perfect carry gun / relatively slim vs any of the double stack.

The only negative to me is the weight / but I live in the Northwest where its not that warm - so wearing a golf shirt untucked / or a windbreaker most of the year is no big deal. My hot weather carry - is a single stack Sig 239 in .40 with one extra mag ...
Old August 5, 2009, 12:55 PM   #13
BigDaddy

I have been carrying a 1911 government all summer here in Austin. No problem in shorts and Tshirt with a Galco Summer Comfort.

--Dave
Old August 5, 2009, 12:59 PM   #14
ZeSpectre

Carried a 4" barrel Smith 686 for a while. That was fun to conceal
Old August 5, 2009, 01:26 PM   #15
Dwight55

All steel, 1911, full size, RIA, Cactus IWB holster, at least one spare mag, on dual thickness belt. One spare mag when going to the village, . . . 2 spares when going to the city, . . . 3 spare mags, mag loader, box of 100 rounds in the suitcase when I am traveling.

Yep, . . . firepower, . . . extra ammo, . . . and of course it is a hunk to carry around. Just never got over those military classes where it was stressed to take more than you ever think you will need, . . . that way when all hell goes South, . . . you don't get blown away with it.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 5, 2009, 01:34 PM   #16
cracked91

Quote:
You used the word "firepower" in your post. This leads me to suspect that you have in your mind that a handgun has more likelihood of stopping a threat than it does have.
Not exactly. I am more referring to capacity than caliber. I want to be able to carry the same pistol everywhere. Hunting, camping, jogging, walking, to the mall, wal mart, etc.

While I believe any cartridge with powder behind it is going to stop 90% of attackers(human), I feel that CC is prep for a very unlikely, yet very possible scenario. An unlikely but possible scenario can be anything. Everything from a stray dog to multiple armed robbers. The only threats I would feel comfortable only having a 7 shot .380 for would be Single human threats and smaller animal threats.

I am liking the Glock 20 for my future CC. 15 shots of 10mm auto seems like it could do as much as you could ask of any handgun. I know some will think I am just paranoid, I will refer to it as "Prepared" which I believe is the main goal behind CC.

Though I know everybody has there carry method, preferences, and specific needs. My Pops CCs a Bersa Thunder .380 and that works just fine for him
Old August 5, 2009, 01:42 PM   #17
armsmaster270

Sig 226 24/7 I'm 5'11" 245#
Old August 5, 2009, 06:04 PM   #18
curt.45

Ruger P90 24/7 IWB at 3 to 4 o'clock, sometimes a spare mag.

I'm 6' 2" AND 260lbs heck I could carry a smart car and conceal it
Old August 5, 2009, 06:16 PM   #19
SW1911CT

Quote:
I'm 6' 2" AND 260lbs heck I could carry a smart car and conceal it
HAHAHA!!

5" 1911 all day everyday. It's only uncomfortable when I'm in my transam which has very tight seat bolsters. Not sure any other rig at 4 o'clock would help much.
Old August 5, 2009, 06:28 PM   #20
45ACP39326

Taurus 24/7 Pro DS in .45ACP at 3 o'clock. I carry when ever I leave the house. I am 5'8" 180 # and have no trouble concealing.
Old August 5, 2009, 06:33 PM   #21
wahsben

I regularly carry a Walther P99 and also carried a full sized S&W 1911 before.
Old August 5, 2009, 06:55 PM   #22
CajunBass

I've never carried anything but a full sized handgun except in rare instances. 1911, Glock, XD, Smith & Wesson 19 & 39, Colt Official Police. All pretty much at 3:00.

I do have a couple of smaller guns I carry from time to time.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 5, 2009, 09:00 PM   #23
Archie

Yeah...

My preferred guns are either Commanders or S&W K frames.

One does have to wear real clothes, of course. This sort of thing doesn't go well with sweats or jogging shorts.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old August 5, 2009, 10:32 PM   #24
jrothWA

haw about...

GM & COmmander , BHP, M39-2 & 4" revolvers, ISW, Bianchi's #3 or #6L
Old August 5, 2009, 10:41 PM   #25
riggins_83

I carry a Kimber Pro Carry II 1911 (4" Barrel, full length grip, same as government model). Carry it via a Galco Royal Guard IWB holster. Really easy to conceal with a nice untucked button down shirt. Carry anywhere I legally can. For me the trick to carry this gun was a good duty belt- I use a Galco synthetic belt, nice and wide. Holds the pants up well!