The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 25, 2005, 06:46 PM   #1
redhawk44p

BP Pistol buck pic.

Here is a pic of a buck my son in law took with his Traditions BP pistol.

Last edited by redhawk44p; December 26, 2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old December 25, 2005, 08:27 PM   #2
shureshot0471

The body on that deer is huge what did he dress out at
- Ted Nugent
Old December 26, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3
redhawk44p

He weighed about #160. He is a tasty deer I can tell you.
Old December 26, 2005, 11:50 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

Certainly something you don't see everyday

Some old & some new....A red dot on a black powder gun - ha, ha, ha. Good stuff. But clearly, it works!
Old December 26, 2005, 11:55 AM   #5
redhawk44p

It is a holosight. The combo is a deadly package on deer. I cast the round balls for him. They have a tiny amount of silver in them for that touch of class.
Old December 29, 2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Long Path

Lots and lots of venison, but the rack says "cul buck". I'm more of hunter for the joy of the hunt and the venison than a rack hunter, so that would be a great one for me.

As stated, that's an unusual combo. What was the range, caliber, bullet weight, approximate velocity, etc?

I'm impressed that you cast the bullets (excuse me: "balls") yourself, in such an unconventional muzzle-loader.

I'd love to get a traditional ML rifle, but haven't much thought about ML pistols. TX disallows my first choice --cap'n'ball revolvers-- from ML season, but allows 'em for regular season. For my own case, the holosight wouldn't much interest me, but I sure can't put down another who uses one with a ML pistol with homecast balls, and brings home the meat! Congratulations on the both you! Excellent photo, btw. Nice way to bring the family together. I wish I got along as well with my father in-law.
Old December 29, 2005, 09:51 AM   #7
redhawk44p

What was the range, caliber, bullet weight, approximate velocity, etc?

He was about 25 to 30 yds away. I believe the .50 cal ball weighs about 180 grains. We chronoed the 60 grain FFG load at 1520 avg. over 6 shots. It takes a skilled hunter to take a deer with a BP pistol I can tell you. It is beyond my skill.
Old December 29, 2005, 10:48 AM   #8
Long Path

Taking a deer cleanly with a single shot (with no chance of fast reload) from over 20 yards away is an expert's business, to be sure! I'm extremely impressed. That's absolutely my limit for shots with my heavy .44 Mag loads out of my Super Blackhawk, and I've got 4 more to follow up! (It's an old model, so it gets carried on an empty chamber.)

Energy should be similar to a .44 Mag 180g (Federal loads a 180g Power Shock JHP to 1610, probably out of an 8" barrel). Penetration would be lesser, due to a much lower sectional density, but with a much broader "face", being a .50 ball. Interesting.

That is a mighty hot load you're throwing out of it. I assume the ball passed through? Any idea how the projectile held up?
Old December 29, 2005, 10:53 AM   #9
redhawk44p

The ball blew right through the deer taking out both lungs and went into the hillside. It floundered around tried to get up but it did not go anywhere.
Here is the doe he took last year.