The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 1, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1
slow fire

x ring

I dont know if I'm in the right place so forgive me if I'm not. I have a question, it concerns that darn x ring. I'm finding my brain is telling my finger to fire but my finger wont move. Its like fire, no dont, now no, now no, now bang. I just keep drawing circles arround the x or the group is just below. I cant seem to tell my self to shoot the x. It's driving me nuts.

I shoot both rifle and pistol and I seem to have the same problem with either one. Any help would be greatly app.
Old September 1, 2005, 10:17 PM   #2
HSMITH

You need to do more dry fire practice. It really is that simple.
Old September 1, 2005, 10:17 PM   #3
LHB1

SlowFire,
You just described a classic case of trying to "pick X's". By the time your brain recognizes the sight/target alignment and pulls the trigger your natural wobble has moved you out of the X ring. The classic solution is to choose a slightly larger "acceptable target area", i.e. the 10 ring and "continue to put pressure on the trigger any time the sights are properly aligned and within the 10 ring". This should give you an even distribution of shots across that area. More dry fire practice helps also. Point is you really should stop trying to grab the perfect shot and concentrate on a good smooth letoff while keeping the sights properly aligned. Guess why I am so familiar with this problem?

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: I sometimes actually shoot better scores in Timed Fire than Slow Fire (at same distance) just because I don't have the problem in Timed or Rapid Fire.
Old September 4, 2005, 01:09 AM   #4
30Cal

I build a mental image of what a 10 or X-ring shot looks like before I take the slack out the trigger and exhale. When the sight picture matches that mental image, the gun goes off. I dryfire a lot.

I don't worry about X's. They're nice, but I'd rather have a 100-0x than a 99-9x.

The only time I shoot a 9 is when that mental image isn't there.

Ty
Old September 4, 2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Tim R

Like 30 Cal said, don't worry about the X count....it will take care of it's self. The only time you have to worry about the X count is when there is a tie.

Like others have said do some more dry fire. You should also include live fire once in awhile. This month is my practice hard month as Service rifle Champs are at the end of the month. If I'm going to win anything I've got to be shooting HM scores.
Old September 7, 2005, 01:50 PM   #6
slow fire

thanx

thank you gentelmen