The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 21, 2011, 01:11 AM   #1
Jake Balam

Bug Out Vest?

So my boss on a whim bought me this http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/VEST160-1.html

While I think its cool, and it is a gift I appreciate, I don't see myself commandoing out and wearing this to the range every tuesday (but who knows, I might)

So, my question is, has anyone ever thought of a bug out vest?

What would you put in all those pockets.

I have a few extra mags, not enough that I would want to keep my vest stocked at all times.

I don't own a rifle, so all those AR 15 mag holders are free.

So, any suggestions?
Old March 21, 2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Navy joe

First I'd trade it for a wearable that might keep me warm, a little dry and look a little less obvious. Army field jacket is pretty good, need something other than camo though. There are plenty of commercial jackets out there with lots of pockets that don't look GI Joe. Pockets will have an Adventure Medical Bivvy sack, same brand emergency blanket, a few heavy duty contractor trash bags, 50ft of paracord rolled up, little basic survival kit, spare knife, and a vacuum bagged firestarting kit.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:48 AM   #3
egor20

One of my farm hands wears one of these.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=406533

It doesn't scream "Mall Ninja Rambo. You can wear it around the "Polite" people, and still have a somewhat "Bug Out" system.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 21, 2011, 02:57 AM   #4
Jake Balam

Ya, but again this was a gift from my boss who supplies my ammo and signs my paycheck, can't trade it or buy a new one
Old March 21, 2011, 05:48 AM   #5
gearhounds

These vests have their uses, generally to be put on before a known op or action. Since I wear a duty belt, I would have use for the holster, but for a specialized action, the rifle mag pockets are nice.

We carry a jump bag in our cruisers that contain spare pistol and rifle mags, box of pistol ammo, blood clot trama kit, maybe a granola bar or two, small bottle of water.
Old March 21, 2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Yellowfin

Things I put in chest rig pouches for various purposes, depending on what I'm doing, as when not in range use it's my field pack for hunting and hiking:

1) First aid stuff like Israeli bandages, emergency heat blanket, hemostat, small bandages, tape, etc.
2) spare flashlight
3) spare poncho
4) spare knife
5) a bundle of cord/thin rope
6) distress signal whistle
7) zip ties and marking tape
8) snacks

Chest rigs are GREAT for hunting, and it really surprises me more places like Cabela's and Bass Pro don't make them instead of fanny packs and their other belt harnesses which have everything backwards and out of reach instead of immediately handy and out of the way of your backpack, treestand, rifle sling, etc.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:27 PM   #7
phenrichs

Quote:
Things I put in chest rig pouches for various purposes, depending on what I'm doing, as when not in range use it's my field pack for hunting and hiking:

1) First aid stuff like Israeli bandages, emergency heat blanket, hemostat, small bandages, tape, etc.
2) spare flashlight
3) spare poncho
4) spare knife
5) a bundle of cord/thin rope
6) distress signal whistle
7) zip ties and marking tape
8) snacks

Chest rigs are GREAT for hunting, and it really surprises me more places like Cabela's and Bass Pro don't make them instead of fanny packs and their other belt harnesses which have everything backwards and out of reach instead of immediately handy and out of the way of your backpack, treestand, rifle sling, etc.
+1
Old March 21, 2011, 01:41 PM   #8
DAdams

I bought one myself just for the heck of it. Actually I bought it last year as part of my Ultra Right Wing Halloween outfit, and I was able to wear it again after a November Election celebration party. Most people are fascintated to know such things are available to the general populace.

I have used parts of it in a Maxpedition bag I carry for emergency purposes/day hikes.

Get an AR or Mini so you can use those large magazine holders.

Put it on a hanger and clip on a pair of pants and head profile and put it a semi dark room to chase off possible intruders.

If things did get ugly in reality I would wear it. Stuffed mostly with magazines and the holster would take a PM9 or BERSA Thunder easily. I have set of 5 mile walkies, there is a space for those too.

They are not that expensive so I guess if you do nothing with it, it is no big deal. Not something you can wear to the mall or grocery store without raising a ruckus.
Old March 21, 2011, 01:50 PM   #9
egor20

Put it on a hanger and clip on a pair of pants and head profile and put it a semi dark room to chase off possible intruders.

I had a lousy day today, Thanks....... I needed the laugh.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old March 21, 2011, 02:49 PM   #10
Claude Clay

Quote:
What would you put in all those pockets.
in one pocket goes the list of whats in all the other pockets

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life
Old March 21, 2011, 07:29 PM   #11
BitterTait

Not the answer you were looking for, but

Cleaning supplies.

Picked up a chest bandoleer on surplus on a lark quite some time ago. Had no real reason for it, just thought I'd get $3 worth of amusement out of it. Ended up setting it up as a Tactical Cleaning Chest Harness. Various cleaning fluids, sponges, rags, trash bags (including one hanging in literal dump pouch configuration), and a CO2 BB pistol in the hoster, with CO2 cylender but no BB's for high-impact, low-drag de-dusting. The radio pouch fit the MP3 player, and the mag pouches granola bars for impromptu snack breaks.

Not only did it help speed up cleaning, the look on the housemate's faces was priceless.