The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 14, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1
theBIGone2087

Replacement barrel for Beretta M9?

Hey all,

So I just got myself and older Beretta M9 from a friend who was selling off his collection. The barrel is in HORRIBLE shape. A lot of pitting and the rifling is almost gone... this gun was shot almost everyday. It is an earlier model too, he said he got it back in the 90's I believe. Anywho, I was curious as to if anyone knew any good place to find replacement barrels for the M9/92FS??

Thanks!
Collection thus far: Ruger SR-556, Springfield M1 Garand, Standar Products M1 Carbine, Savage BTV .22LR thumbhole target, Winchester Model 67, Mossberg 500 12ga, Stoeger Condor 20ga, Springfield XD-m .40S&W, Glock 20 10mm
Old June 14, 2010, 06:33 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Top after market barrels, custom gunsmith work...

Hello
For top after market Beretta M9/92FS series barrels see the KKM website, Irv Stone's great Bar-Sto barrels, the main Beretta website or the highly rated Beretta pistol gunsmith; David Alesso(check correct spelling).
If the old M9 is used or in rough shape, Id suggest sending the pistol to Alesso's shop to be inspected. They can clean & replace any worn out-broken parts. New Wolff springs are a good idea too.
If you want to re-plate or recoat the M9, check www.robarguns.com or www.apwcogan.com . The Robar NP3+ is not cheap but it will be a great asset.
The NIC/Cerakote coating is available in OD, blue, grey, black, tan, etc. It will protect & help lube the M9.
Old June 15, 2010, 02:46 PM   #3
riverwalker76

I would go with an original Beretta 92f barrel and a Sprinco Recoil Spring kit.

How much did you pay for the pistol? In the shape you described it's probably only worth around $175 to $225. Just my opinion.

Depending on if your new barrel comes with one ... you may also need a new Locking Block Kit. They are usually the first things to go in the Beretta 92F class pistols from my field experience.

Hammer Springs, trigger, and mag release springs should still be in good shape. I usually 'shoot out' 2 barrels before I do a complete overhaul on the frame. That averages to around 40k rounds or a little more. I usually get 10k round out of a barrel before I decide to switch it out.

When you are refurbishing these old warhorses ... you have to decide on whether the refurb is worth the price of a new stock pistol. I wouldn't worry about recoating one unless it is with Duracoat or some other similar 'do-it-yourself' coating. Simply because with a $200 professional coating you will run into the price of a new pistol if you don't watch it. I would only put $150 MAX in your new purchase. If you go over that ... you might as well buy an NEW M9 for $520!

Look at www.brownells.com you should find everything you need right there.

On the left hand side ... .do a 'Search' by Manufacturer. You can get all of the stock parts there for cheaper and faster than from Beretta.

Last edited by riverwalker76; June 15, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old June 19, 2010, 11:14 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

Jarvis offers a very good barrel.
Old June 19, 2010, 09:51 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

David Olhasso...

The top Beretta pistolsmith, target shooter is David Olhasso.

Old June 22, 2010, 12:30 PM   #6
theBIGone2087

Thanks all, I really do appreciate all the info.
Collection thus far: Ruger SR-556, Springfield M1 Garand, Standar Products M1 Carbine, Savage BTV .22LR thumbhole target, Winchester Model 67, Mossberg 500 12ga, Stoeger Condor 20ga, Springfield XD-m .40S&W, Glock 20 10mm