The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old October 27, 2006, 12:06 AM   #1
JohnKSa
Staff

Searching TFL "Gun Show" with abbreviations...NOT!

I used to search the For Sale forums with the abbreviation DFW to find guns being sold in my area. For some reason, that quit working awhile back...

Is that a bug or a feature?
Old October 27, 2006, 07:29 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

There are a few common words that are excluded from the search index. It is likely that 'DFW' is one of them. I don't get a single hit when I search any of the forums for that term. This limitation is in place to keep from bogging down the search engine when members search for words like, like, the, very, for, from, etc.

Try searching for the term 'Dallas', 'Worth' or 'Texas' instead.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

P.S. It's a 'feechur', not a bug.
Old October 27, 2006, 10:43 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

Dave, I thought that might be the answer, but I checked the common word list and DFW isn't on it (and it shouldn't be). So I guess it's a bug of some sort.
Old October 27, 2006, 11:44 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

I wonder if the minimum allowable letters in search terms has been bumped up past three...
Quote:
Try searching for the term 'Dallas', 'Worth' or 'Texas' instead.
The problem is that few people put "Dallas" in their posts or spell out the state names.

Dunno what the deal is, but this was working as recently as a week or so ago...
Old October 28, 2006, 08:47 AM   #5
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

I've heard of a program that makes that list dynamic rather than static. Once a word is found in the database XX,000 times, it is ignored by the search engine. Again, the reason is to speed searching.

Tyme may be able to answer whether or not we are using such an animal.
Old October 28, 2006, 09:19 AM   #6
pax

About the time the search engine began working again (yay Tyme!), I quit being able to find my username in other people's posts. I can still find my own posts, but can no longer glance around and see if anyone's invoked my name lately. Figured either I've posted too many times here, or my name's too short. Annoying, but I guess it's not really the end of the world.

pax
Old October 28, 2006, 10:46 AM   #7
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I quit being able to find my username in other people's posts.
Hmmm...

Another 3 letter or less search term that's not allowed.
Old October 28, 2006, 12:23 PM   #8
pax

John ~

Yep. And I can't lengthen it with an asterisk, as I sometimes do on other boards.

pax
Old October 28, 2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Mal H
Staff

I double checked and the word length allowed is still 3 characters.

I compared all of the search parameters at THR with those here at TFL - they are the same. Searching on "DFW" at THR returns lots of threads. So that tells me DFW (and "pax", etc.) aren't indexed here for some reason.

There's not much else we can do except wait for tyme to take a look into why this is happening, or rather not happening.
Old November 1, 2006, 01:49 PM   #10
tyme
Staff

Very strange. Both "dfw" and "pax" are indexed (818 and 3425 occurrences, respectively), but vbulletin isn't showing those results for some reason. I'll look into it, but maybe not today. I did tweak the searching a bit back when I re-enabled it, but only to reduce problems caused by apostrophes and such. Maybe I broke something.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old November 3, 2006, 10:40 PM   #11
JohnKSa
Staff

Thanks for checking into it!
Old November 21, 2006, 01:15 AM   #12
pax

Just wondering if you'd made any progress on solving this?

pax
Old November 27, 2006, 02:23 AM   #13
tyme
Staff

I have now.

This new search system looks good. I pray to the Gods that I'll never have to deal with searching slowdowns again.

Guests are allowed to search.

Searches can now be 5 seconds apart instead of 10 seconds (and it's set at 5 seconds only to discourage bots which may decide to try flooding the search system).

The search result limit has been raised from 400 to about 15k.

Three letter words are now searchable. I'm not keen on including 2-letter words, though, so HK and 2-digit calibers may remain unsearchable. I'll probably try it out soon, though, and if the search index doesn't explode we can stick with a 2-char limit permanently.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old November 27, 2006, 11:49 AM   #14
Mal H
Staff

Excellent job!!!

Are you using an SQL db other than MySQL to accomplish all that?

I did a quick check using "DFW" as originally reported here. A search over the last month using "Search Entire Posts" returned a usable and believable number of hits. However, changing only to "Search Titles Only" gave hundreds of hits. Looks like that one change caused the "Find Posts From - A month ago" to be ignored. Not a big deal, but it would be wasting cycles that don't need to be wasted.
Old November 27, 2006, 03:15 PM   #15
tyme
Staff

It's completely separate from MySQL now.

Yeah, there are some caveats. Some of the sorting modes don't work, and apparently the date ranges don't work when searching thread titles. We'll see. There's no reason why date ranges can't work for title searches, it's just not working yet.
Old November 27, 2006, 06:45 PM   #16
pax

Thanks for the hard work, tyme!

pax
Old November 27, 2006, 11:25 PM   #17
JohnKSa
Staff

Oh YEAH!

I thank you and everyone from the DFW area on TFL thanks you!

Appreciate the hard work.
Old November 28, 2006, 05:20 AM   #18
tyme
Staff

two letter search terms now work.