The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 9, 2016, 07:41 PM   #1
Mat1840

Shotshell for small game

Hi I was wondering, can I use some federal 1-1/8 oz load 7.5 target load for small game hunting, like small birds... Is there really a big difference between this and the game load??I dont want to carry à lot of différent type of ammo and I was wondering if I could just buy this for clay and small game.. its also cheaer than their game loads... thanks for your time.
Old June 9, 2016, 09:00 PM   #2
FITASC

I prefer a 1oz load for game. Works fine, is lighter in the pocket and on the shoulder.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa

Last edited by FITASC; June 9, 2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old June 9, 2016, 09:22 PM   #3
SHR970

For that same small game.. would you be comfortable using 7/8 oz 20 Ga.?

If so.. you just answered your own question.
Old June 9, 2016, 11:11 PM   #4
Blindstitch

Guess it depends what kind of small birds you're going to shoot. For lead I like 6's. Grouse, pheasants and woodcock. For doves you need steel due to it being migratory I believe. And they sell bulkpacks of that for about the same price as 7 1/2-8s in lead.
Old June 10, 2016, 01:29 PM   #5
Rob228

Back when I was younger I shot quite a few squirrel, rabbits and a handful of pheasants with 7/8 ounce #6 (20 gauge).
Old June 10, 2016, 06:24 PM   #6
FITASC

No need for steel from a Fed view, but the 3 shot plug rule applies.
7.5 or larger for birds, any smaller and you have too many pellets to clean.
a 20 will do the job on upland game just fine.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 10, 2016, 06:29 PM   #7
Mat1840

Well thanks for the reply, but I want to say, I already have my 12 gauge, and No one really answered me on yes or No a 1-1/8 ozo of target load in 7.5 is powerfull enough for small birds and rabbit... the 20 gauges is not in the option...
Old June 10, 2016, 08:49 PM   #8
ericuda

I Use federal top gun in what you are describing with good results. Good on small game such as doves and rabbits. Game load usually has 7/8 ounce shot which also works well. You may prefer the load with a little less shot for game and the 1 1/8 for trap ahooting.
Old June 10, 2016, 09:09 PM   #9
Blindstitch

7 1/2 would kill birds and rabbits at shorter ranges. If you look on a box of game shells they often have pictures of what animals they could kill. 7 1/2 for dove size game would be fine but I would and will continue to use 6's.

It's a matter of weight vs size. The higher the number the more bb's but lesser penetration. I use #4's steel on longer range pheasants because they often over-penetrate and that means less bb's to remove before eating. And I can take a swat at the odd duck or goose that comes by.

But if I was going for rabbits I would use 6's. Just like this picture below shows. I usually pick up game loads for $5.69 a box.
Old June 10, 2016, 09:37 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
Well thanks for the reply, but I want to say, I already have my 12 gauge, and No one really answered me on yes or No a 1-1/8 ozo of target load in 7.5 is powerfull enough for small birds and rabbit... the 20 gauges is not in the option...
Yes, I did.............I also said you'd be better served with a slightly different load. Learn to order ammo online from other places besides wally world and use better ammo for less.
Old June 11, 2016, 11:39 AM   #11
SHR970

Quote:
Your question was answered. 20 gauge was not a recommendation... the question was would you be comfortable using a 20 guage 7/8 oz load for the same job. If so.. 1 1/8 out of a 12 would be more than enough.
Old June 11, 2016, 12:25 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

Average number of #7.5 lead pellets in 1.128 oz is 394. Use the right choke and you'll be fine. You'll need to be careful about the distance too.
Federal suggests 7.5's with 1.25 oz(525 pellets) for turkey(et al) out of their Game Shok brand. Velocity is only 20 fps faster than their Top Gun Target stuff.
Old June 11, 2016, 05:48 PM   #13
Mat1840

Alright thanks. I didnt understand it Well... im not that used with shotgun load yet... and didnt get the comparison with the 20 gauge... My main question was, if it was unclear.. I'll add, whats the diffrerence lets say between federal top gun 1-1/8 oz 7.5 load... and federal game shok 1-1/8 oz 7.5 load... I got both available at my gun store, and the top gun is cheaper.. is it the damn same thing or there is a reason for the top gun (target load) being cheaper??? And sorry for my english..
Old June 11, 2016, 06:08 PM   #14
FITASC

Look at the velocity printed on the box - odds are not much of anything different except the box and price. When you look at a lot of the things we use for shooting/hunting - whether ammo, cleaning stuff or other things, a lot is marketing and prices can get stupid, so check around. I love ordering online from Academy. I also use Cabela's with points, free shipping, etc. Much better choices than what wally world has at the moment on the shelf, and cheaper too!

Last edited by FITASC; June 11, 2016 at 06:14 PM.
Old June 11, 2016, 10:48 PM   #15
Rifletom

Check "Ammoseek".com. You'll find your ammo there. These guys here have pretty much answered your question.
Old June 13, 2016, 01:06 PM   #16
Dreaming100Straight

You can buy factory shotshells for your 12 gauge loaded with 7/8 ounces of shot, which is a standard shot load for a 20. The result is that your 12 shoots much like a 20, but the extra weight of a 12 tends to reduce felt recoil.
Old June 13, 2016, 03:54 PM   #17
FITASC

And that extra weight in a field gun can get real heavy after a day out hunting..............
Old June 13, 2016, 07:26 PM   #18
Dreaming100Straight

True, but he already has the 12 gauge and he had better hope it is a field gun. If a clay's model it will likely be even heavier.

This dog doesn't hunt, but if I do I will just go with my 12 gauge 870 with synthetic furniture, minus the weights in the front of the tube you guys showed me to make our of empty hulls and shot.
Old June 13, 2016, 08:00 PM   #19
Blindstitch

I always carry at least an 8 pound gun. 1 ounce isn't stopping me. That's what game vests are for.
2 shells in the gun, 5 on the stock and 10 in my vest if I'm going pheasant hunting.

Dove hunters carry boxes but they tend to sit a lot.