The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 5, 2006, 04:03 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

SEARCH Function - Why is Google searching this forum?

I try to use the search function today (FireLine Forum) and everytime it goes into Google giving forum search results.

Never had this problem before. What am I doing wrong?
Old September 5, 2006, 04:18 PM   #2
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=220289
Old September 7, 2006, 10:59 PM   #3
tyme
Staff

Okay,

I am painfully aware that google is not ideal. In particular, searching for words that occur in a single post is difficult if not impossible, since most google results are threads, and keywords are matched anywhere in the thread. However, that can usually be mitigated by using more specific search terms.

I think that a lot of people who find google search unusable are not giving it a fair chance, or are simply not used to using web search engines.

Google has at least one extremely useful feature that vbulletin doesn't: quoted phrases. You can search for "war on terror," and you won't have to wade through posts where those words are only used separately.

vBulletin search may seem better from your perspective, but how much is that worth to you? Is it worth the forums being perhaps twice as slow (or worse) on average? Is it worth posts and post edits taking dozens of seconds whenever someone else is simultaneously doing an unwise search (like for "gun" or "rifle")?

That's one thing you'll notice about google. It's never slow, and it always works.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 8, 2006, 04:45 PM   #4
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I use the forum search often, and one thing I liked is reading the many interesting post that I came upon while searching. Now when I search, I leave the forum completly. It's not that I can't use Google, I have used it since day one and use it several times every day for searching something I am looking for.

I think it's a matter of enjoying the searching within our own community and not mixing with the 4997664 trillion-billion search bits that Google banks. I agree the forum search is far from the best way to do efficient searching, but I learned to use it and found it more to my liking as it was "our" search in "our" forum.
Change is difficult for some of us.
Old September 15, 2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Geoff Timm

There is enough traffic here, that following my own posts is impossible without the detailed search function, which allowed me to quickly find my recent postings.

Therefore, there is no sense in posting. I can't follow up.

Geoff
Who can't justify expending time on TFL without being able to find, quickly and efficiently, my previous posts.
Old September 15, 2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Geoff - left click on your name in your post above, a menu should pop up. Select "Find More Posts by ...". Or go to your profile at any time by clicking on your own name in "Currently Active Users" at the bottom of the forum index page and select "Find all posts by ..."

Old September 16, 2006, 06:19 AM   #7
pax

tyme,

Does that rant mean you're not working on a way to get the vBulletin search working again?

pax
Old September 16, 2006, 12:40 PM   #8
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

Pax - A decision will be made and a solution implemented within a day or so.

Thanks for your patience.

-Dave
Old September 16, 2006, 01:01 PM   #9
tyme
Staff

No. I intend to see vbulletin's search fixed (somehow) and re-enabled. I just can't enable it for everyone right now because it'll slow the forums down too much. The consensus is that we're going to try re-enabling it for registered users early tomorrow. It may take a while to re-index everything, but the search page should be accessible during that process.

Rich is getting back from vacation soon. Things will be sorted out one way or another at that point. Not quite a day, but not too much longer.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 16, 2006, 08:00 PM   #10
dZ

does this mean the data going back to 1999 is still there?

i just went looking for some legacy posts on Clinton and the wide search yielded 30 posts and a search for older than a year yielded nothing

dats not good

Old September 16, 2006, 08:04 PM   #11
pax

Excellent. Forgive me if I sounded pushy when asking -- just wondered what the status was.

pax
Old September 20, 2006, 04:18 PM   #12
Geoff Timm

MalH advised, "Geoff - left click on your name in your post above, a menu should pop up. Select "Find More Posts by ...". Or go to your profile at any time by clicking on your own name in "Currently Active Users" at the bottom of the forum index page and select "Find all posts by ...""

Works! Thanks!

Now where's that fine manual I failed to read?

Geoff
Who is embarrassed
Old September 24, 2006, 05:24 PM   #13
pax

tyme ~

Forgive me if you guys have already thought of this, but seems to me that you might do some good simply by changing the default search pattern from "everything" to "past two weeks" -- including the search pattern from the drop-down menu -- and let people opt out if they need more inclusive results.

Might it help?

pax
Old October 2, 2006, 09:12 AM   #14
pax

tyme ~

THANK YOU!

I really appreciate your hard work behind the scenes ...

pax
Old October 2, 2006, 10:25 AM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

OK, search is working again...

But...

I just searched on some parameters, and I got 5 recent hits and a bunch of hits from 2002 and back.

Nothing at all between 2002 and the beginning of September.

Please don't tell me that we lost almost 4 years of databased messages...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Last edited by Mike Irwin; October 3, 2006 at 12:37 AM.
Old October 2, 2006, 11:34 AM   #16
TheBluesMan
Moderator Emeritus

We've not yet re-indexed the forums. That is a very long process that we try to schedule during a slow time.

Your continued patience is appreciated.

-Dave