The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 26, 2016, 05:16 AM   #1
brycewise

over the barrel suppressor question

I would like to keep the added length of a suppressor to a minimum. This question would be for a 10.5 inch 5.56 barrel.

I was wondering if the blast chamber could be moved between the gas block and the muzzle where it would attach right in front of the gas block. the O.D. would be about 2 inches so that would give about 2 inches of total volume with the over the barrel portion if the first baffle about .75 inches in front of the muzzle/flash hider to send the gas rearward first then through the baffle assembly. the best way I could describe it would be something like a barrel shroud but the shroud would be an expansion chamber.

Would pressures be a problem with having the first baffle so close to the muzzle with the exiting gas coming in to contact the first baffle so soon... or would that be offset by the expansion chamber that was located behind the muzzle
Old May 26, 2016, 09:35 AM   #2
zukiphile

I'll second your question. I've thought about this for a .22lr, in which pressure wouldn't be the same issue -- sort of a slip-over flash suppressor of suppressors. Imagine a slip-over suppressor for a 10/22 that starts six or seven inch before the muzzle. That is quite a bit of extra capacity.

I think the reasons not to do this might be:

1. economic; the slip-over portion would be a bunch of extra machining and would optimised for only a single barrel diameter.

2. weight related; each extra piece will add weight (though not as far out from the former balance point).

3. maintenance related; the slip-over portion may be harder to clean.

None of those things alone has kept other products off the market. I also would like to know why we haven't seen this offered.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:10 AM   #3
Theohazard

Brycewise, those are referred to as "reflex" or "slip-over" silencers. They work really well, but they have fallen out of fashion in recent years because you need your barrel to be a specific diameter and your rail can't be too long. Companies like AAC and Surefire stopped making reflex rifle silencers because they didn't sell as well as their other models.
Old May 26, 2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Sharkbite

Theo nailed it

With a 10.5" barrel and one of the " Mini cans" in 556. You are going to have a pretty short package. Shorter then a standard 16" barreled gun for sure.

I run a GMT300blk can on my 9" AAC gun and it TOTALLY manageable in tight quarters. Its still a little long for inside a vehicle kinda stuff. But if i HAVE to go shorter i just take the can off and accecpt the "normal" blast.
Old May 27, 2016, 06:07 AM   #5
Mobuck

"With a 10.5" barrel and one of the " Mini cans" in 556."

10.5" barrel and a "mini can"? It had better be a tough little can and even then, how well is it going to work? Definitely won't be cheap.
Old May 27, 2016, 01:38 PM   #6
jmorris

That's pretty much how I built my 458 socom can.