The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 29, 2015, 10:26 PM   #26
Clark

I only have a small amount of Varget, but a whole lot of IMR4895 to use up, so...

A guy needs to show character and crunch 4895 through his RCBS UNIFLOW powder measure.
Be a man.
Keep crunching.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old April 29, 2015, 11:33 PM   #27
Machineguntony

I load a ton of 223 and 308 using H335 and Ramshot TAC. They are very inexpensive and very good powders. The 308 eats up powder like there is no tomorrow.

Ramshot TAC is hard to find, and when it's available, it disappears quickly. TAC has the coolest packaging of any powder.

I've never seen 48 pounds of Varget for sale, so cost per shot will be higher. That's my only problem with Varget.
Old April 30, 2015, 01:02 AM   #28
noylj

It's the target that tells you if you need to obsessively worry about charge weight. Unless you are shooting sub-0.25 MOA, you are wasting time, but if it makes you happy, go for it.
If that is what you want, then get a powder dispenser and be done with it. That will meter ALL powders perfectly.
Old April 30, 2015, 07:32 AM   #29
sawdustdad

Quote:
A guy needs to show character and crunch 4895 through his RCBS UNIFLOW powder measure.
BTDT.

You know, 4895 is such a versatile powder, learning to crunch it through a powder measure is a lifetime skill. I've even had some fun with it in reduced loads in 30-06. (H4895 that is).
Old April 30, 2015, 07:44 AM   #30
wogpotter

H335 will work fairly well with both & is a small grained ball powder so it meters well.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”