The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 28, 2014, 06:27 PM   #1
ruger357w

Coonan 357 magnum

I've wanted a 357 magnum semi auto for a long time now and was going to go with the desert eagle until I came across the Coonan classic 357 mag. So tonight I finally ordered one, it is how ever 8 to 10 months out. I hope she's worth the wait. I ordered it with the upgraded adjustable night sights. Does any one have one? How do they shoot and handle?
Old February 28, 2014, 07:10 PM   #2
Poohgyrr

I should have kept the original model B that I had. Mine was accurate, and reliable when lubed according to directions. A great pistol. Much less recoil than a 4" revolver. I lost the link to the Coonan Arms Discussion Board, but a search should find it. Great pistols.

Last edited by Poohgyrr; March 1, 2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old February 28, 2014, 11:05 PM   #3
Deja vu

I own a Coonan Classic. I got mine in 2011. I got it as the 100th anniversary of the 1911. The Coonan is as close to a 1911 I can get with my limited caliber choices (not wanting a 22).

Any way it is very smooth and very accurate. The trigger is very crisp. The gun is very accurate. The grips do not feel as big as they look. I got mine with a 6 inch barrel.

I did a balistics review here http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495750 remember that this is the hottest factory ammo available for the 357 magnum so dont expect these numbers from ammo from the major manufacturers.

I used this gun for my CCW class. Mine functions very well. One upside for the Coonan over the Desert Eagle is the ability to use case bullets as there is no gas system to mess up. One down side of the Coonan over the desert eagle I shot is the brass. The Coonan throws brass a good 20 yards in any direction. I loose a fair amount of brass any time I shoot it.

I just wish that Coonan would make a carbine. Id love to have a semiauto 357 magnum rifle, especially if it shares the same mags!

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 1, 2014, 07:04 AM   #4
NoSecondBest

Quote:
The Coonan throws brass a good 20 yards in any direction. I loose a fair amount of brass any time I shoot it.
I owned two Coonan's when Dan Coonan was making them. If your brass is getting tossed that far, simply change the spring. You need to tune the spring to the load you're shooting. My brass used to just about drop at my feet and the gun still functioned 100%.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:38 AM   #5
David spargenator

I'm sorry that you have to wait such a long time for your gun. Guns are seriously like my drugs. I could never order a gun even if it was a week out. Lol
Old March 1, 2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Deja vu

Quote:
I owned two Coonan's when Dan Coonan was making them. If your brass is getting tossed that far, simply change the spring. You need to tune the spring to the load you're shooting. My brass used to just about drop at my feet and the gun still functioned 100%
very cool would you recommend going heavier or lighter on the springs? I am using the standard factory 22LBS spring. The 20 yards was a bit of exaggeration but in reality I would bet is some where between 5-10 yards and not always in the same direction.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old March 1, 2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Uncle Malice

I'm local to Glockmeister, and they usually have at last 1 or 2 in stock.

They do currently. Dunno what you paid, but maybe you can cancel your order and get it quickly?

http://www.glockmeister.com/Coonan-3...ctinfo/COONAN/
Old March 1, 2014, 01:36 PM   #8
NoSecondBest

Quote:
would you recommend going heavier or lighter on the springs? I am using the standard factory 22LBS spring. The 20 yards was a bit of exaggeration but in reality I would bet is some where between 5-10 yards and not always in the same direction.
I'd recommend getting a package of different weights. It's been a while since I shot 1911 type guns but the springs in the Coonan are the same springs. I think you could buy 5 in a pack and that way you can try different ones or use different ones for different loads. You'll have to google it but you'll find what you want. If you're throwing them that far try putting in a heavier spring. You'll know when it's too heavy, they either won't eject or they'll be dropping on top of your foot.
Old March 2, 2014, 09:17 PM   #9
dajowi

If you want more information relating to Coonan pistols from the prospective of Coonan owners the Coonan Arms Discussion Board website has some valuable information.

http://members.boardhost.com/dajowi/...tml?1250530901