The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 7, 2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Bowhunter57

DIY Bullet Puller w/ pics

I need a bullet puller and can't find one locally, nor did I want to wait to order one online. So, I found a video on YouTube that explained how to build one. I have $10.45 in schedule 80 parts for this one...and it works.

The parts are 2 - 12" nipples, 1 tee, 1 female coupler and 1 cap. Also, I cut a piece of foam to plug the handle, as it would keep the gun powder from running down the handle. (Cut from a pool noodle.)

The order of the parts to be glued:

The glued parts:

The Tee Shoulder is where the shell holder rests, during impact.
The shell holder in place:

I glued a 1/8" thick rubber pad on the nose of the pvc cap, just to prevent it from cracking from whacking it on the concrete floor.

The nipple plug needed to be sanded or filed or however you prefer to get it to fit inside the tee, without sticking in the tee after impact.

I had to used a bungie cord to keep the nipple plug in place...it will bounce out after a hit on the floor.

I cut another piece/plug of foam and pushed it all the way into the cap or nose of the bullet puller. This will provide padding and keep the polycarbonate tips from deforming when they are removed from the casing.

Bowhunter57
Old July 8, 2013, 07:48 AM   #2
ricklaut

That's awesome. Nicely done!
Old July 8, 2013, 09:13 AM   #3
VonFatman

That is a great tool....I've broken a couple and appreciate the durability of your design. I've also had problems with the aluminum collets that come with the factory pullers....so your using regular shell holders is a definite plus.

My only "issue" with your design, the bungie cord. If you can design the unit to function without the cord.....you could sell those babies! The cord, while functional, equates to more time being spent per round.

I wish I had your imagination! Very well done!

Bob
Old July 8, 2013, 09:57 AM   #4
jag2

I certainly applaud the ingenuity and effort but for just a few dollars more you could have the real thing. They have a screw on cap that hold the shell holder in, a lot easier to use, and I question how long that will last. I don't think that pvc pipe will hold up very long. Not what it was designed for. But again, well done.
Old July 8, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The only safety issue I see is the shell holder. There's are long threads on a couple of other forums about a cartridge that went off in an inertial bullet puller because someone substituted a shell holder for the bullet puller's collet. The stars have to line up wrong for this to happen. The mouth of the shell holder has to be turned away from the operator so the case can slide as far off center with the hole through the shell holder as possible during the downswing. The primer has to be a high primer; above the plane of the back end of the case head, but not so tall it doesn't fit into the shell holder.

So, it's not a high probability event, but in the photos from the on reported, it took the puller apart and tore a fragment from the .45 Auto case and slammed it into the ceiling. So have a care about how you orient the holder when you use it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 8, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
serf 'rett

I too remember a thread like the one Unclenick references. I seem to remember the person was using a commercial impact puller with a shell holder instead of the standard collet furnished with the puller.

Post had photos. In my opinion, the operator was very blessed that there were no injuries. It appeared to blast was vented through the impact puller end. Body of puller held together, perhaps because the 45ACP is low pressure round. The PVC pipe would not have the strength of a commercial puller. I suspect a higher pressure round, such as rifle, could have more devastating effect.
Old July 10, 2013, 05:57 AM   #7
Bowhunter57

I just pulled some 85gr. bullets from about 30 rds. of .25-06 ammo and this thing works great. After about the 3rd or 4th time of whacking it on the concrete floor, the rubber pad that I'd glued on the nose of the cap, fell off. No matter, as after I finished unloading the ammo, there was NO signs of any wear to the cap.

I've re-reloaded the ammo and am ready to go to the range and sight in my rifle. No waiting for an online order and I have the satisfaction of something that I built myself...for less than production equipment.

Bowhunter57
Old July 10, 2013, 06:36 AM   #8
45_auto

Glad you're happy with it.

If you order a production puller (made out of impact-resistant polyurethane) now for $10 while you don't need it, you'll have one available when your PVC puller shatters and won't have to waste another $10 building a PVC puller again.

However, it seems that the majority of people don't have primers, reloading supplies, .22LR ammo, etc, that I advised them to stock up on when Obama was first elected so I won't be surprised if you don't order one!