The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 15, 2012, 08:10 PM   #1
rebs

More than one AR ?

How many of you guys have more than one AR ? How many of you have one lower with more than one upper for it ?
I am trying to figure our and decide which is better more guns or more uppers for the same lower.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:18 PM   #2
ruger357w

I've got three complete ar-15's and a Remington R-25.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:20 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I thought they were the Legos of guns but

A classmate told me that ARs are Barbie Dolls for men. You can accessorize it to no end.

I would say the number of lowers depends on the number of your household.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:40 PM   #4
BillyJack3

3 Complete ARs. 1 dedicated .22, 1 dedicated carbine length 5.56 with a 16" barrel and flash hider and 1 dedicated mid length 5.56 with a 14.5" barrel and pinned muzzle brake. No extra uppers. If I did have an extra upper laying around, I would find myself a $60 lower and a parts kit so I had a 4th complete AR.
Old October 15, 2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Justice06RR

I usually don't mix-n-match uppers with lowers. Each complete AR is setup for a specific purpose, so lowers don't get used with other uppers. You can choose to do that if you decided, depending on your budget and applications.

I have 2.5 AR's at the moment
Old October 16, 2012, 05:38 AM   #6
rebs

The reason I asked this is because of the trigger, adding a new Timney or Giessle or rock river 2 stage can be expensive to buy one for more than one AR.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:42 AM   #7
djcantr

There's nothing wrong with mil spec triggers. Some polishing and JP springs and it's good enough for me, depending on use. When I build a dedicated 3 gun AR it will have a drop in trigger. The rest of my rifles, mil spec. You could always build enough inexpensive lowers with mil spec trigger parts to have one for each of your uppers and then if you want to do some long range precision shooting with a certain upper swap it to a lower that has a drop in trigger in it. I'd rather have complete rifles in the safe for several reasons.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:52 AM   #8
Technosavant

Half dozen here.

Lightweight 16" model
Decked out 14.5 with pinned on flash suppressor/QD suppressor mount
18" SPR type
20" A2 KISS, just 'cuz they're fun
20" .450 Bushmaster
16" with .22LR conversion kits for running the Aguila SSS

All of them are homebuilt Frankenrifles.

If you end up with a pile of lowers you also end up looking for things to do with them. But I think I'm pretty much done accumulating ARs. For now. If I were to start clearing them out I'm not sure what would go first, but the lightweight, the A2, and the .450 would be the last to go.

IMO, if you're going to have a bunch of uppers you might as well also start kitting them out with lowers. It doesn't take too much investment to get a few lowers and build them up.
Old October 16, 2012, 12:14 PM   #9
Achilles11B

I just have two...for now, anyways.

16" general purpose carbine
18" SPR-type with a Giessele trigger (my first from-the-ground up build!).

Used to have a .50 Beowulf but he proved to be too expensive for me to feed.

I too prescribe to the 'different tools for different jobs' school of thought.
Old October 16, 2012, 01:22 PM   #10
CharlieDeltaJuliet

4 complete AR's and working on a separate upper at the moment.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old October 16, 2012, 02:15 PM   #11
bedlamite

It starts when you buy your first basic AR M4gery. Then you buy a new handguard and stock. Then it's a trigger group. Then you get another upper, because you can use your lower and BCG on it, then you say screw it and get a stripped lower so you don't have to switch, and you put the trigger group and stock you took off your first AR onto it. Then you want to put a FF quad rail and folding front sight on the new one, so you buy a panther claw, magazine vise block, and armourer's wrench. Once that door is opened, all hope is lost and you have full blown BRD.

Welcome to the club.
Old October 16, 2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Skadoosh

Just two.

Old October 16, 2012, 02:58 PM   #13
Technosavant

Quote:
It starts when you buy your first basic AR M4gery. Then you buy a new handguard and stock. Then it's a trigger group. Then you get another upper, because you can use your lower and BCG on it, then you say screw it and get a stripped lower so you don't have to switch, and you put the trigger group and stock you took off your first AR onto it. Then you want to put a FF quad rail and folding front sight on the new one, so you buy a panther claw, magazine vise block, and armourer's wrench. Once that door is opened, all hope is lost and you have full blown BRD.
I don't know who you are, where you live, or why you did this, but GET YOUR CAMERAS OUT OF MY HOUSE!!!

(Yeah, that's pretty much how it goes)
Old October 16, 2012, 03:43 PM   #14
mavracer

Quote:
A classmate told me that ARs are Barbie Dolls for men. You can accessorize it to no end.
I like that.
Right now I have 2 complete a 16" 300 blackout and a A2 set up for CMP service rifle and working on putting a mid-length 16" 5.56 together.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old October 16, 2012, 04:11 PM   #15
NWPilgrim

I always like to have at least two of anything important so I normally have two complete AR, a 16" M4 and 20" A4. The A4 is set up to be CMP compliant (fixed A2 stock, A2 grip, A2 front sight and handguards, removable handle rear sight, military web sling) but can also do double duty with a detachable scope for testing handloads for accuracy. If I ever get an aftermarket trigger it would go on that lower. The M4 is set up more for fun and defensive use: Magpul handguards and grips, M4 stock, Aimpoint red dot, etc.

At the moment I have two other M4s from SILs who are in transition and storing them at my place. If I get another AR for myself I would just get another upper such as a SS target bull barrel (using the A4 lower), or another caliber such as 6.8 SPC or .458 SOCOM for fun.

The main reason I can see to have several lowers is the trigger, stocks, grip, etc. Good to have at least two lowers, but if you need different configurations for different sports or purposes then it's easier to just get another lower rather than swapping parts all over. The standard trigger is not bad but when doing slow fire I notice an over-travel "click". For an accuracy rifle I would prefer a clean break and little over-travel and no clunking, clicking or squishing.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 16, 2012, 04:21 PM   #16
iraiam

2 complete AR's, multiple uppers as well.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; October 16, 2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old October 16, 2012, 10:01 PM   #17
DasGuy

I have 2. The first one was a cheap DPMS I bought not thinking I'd really get into ARs. My second one I built after I decided what all I wanted.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:54 PM   #18
doofus47

7.62x39 Bushmaster A3 upper with MOE lower for hunting.
5.56x45 in A1 upper/Cav arms A2 lower psuedo-Vietnam configuration for plinking/varminting.
Old October 17, 2012, 02:26 AM   #19
Metal god

I have more then one and plan on having many more .

HEY SKADOOSH

Whats up with that AR on the bottom . Do you have some kind of horn on the front or what

oh man I crack me up

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 17, 2012, 06:35 AM   #20
Skadoosh

Quote:
HEY SKADOOSH

Whats up with that AR on the bottom . Do you have some kind of horn on the front or what
Its a Streamlight SuperTac

Old October 17, 2012, 06:56 AM   #21
Beretta686

I guess I'm in the minority and only have one lower which I plug and play with 5 different uppers in 3 different calibers. Unless you're having different set ups, such as a fixed-stock and a folding-stock I just don't see the point in spending more $$$ on something you pretty much already have.

Though there is draw backs to having only one lower, as I've run so many rounds (especially .22) through my lower that I actually managed to wear out my RRA match trigger.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 17, 2012, 07:59 AM   #22
madcratebuilder

A few stacked in the corner. There are so many ways these can be configured you need a dozen or more.

Old October 17, 2012, 07:59 AM   #23
TMD

I only have 7 but I also have two more complete lowers that I haven't deceided what to do with.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:43 AM   #24
Mrgunsngear

I seriously don't even know how many ARs I have. I also have a bunch of ongoing 'projects.' One day I'll finish those builds but they're currenlty works of art in progress

Until I have more ARs than my wife has outfits I don't think it's a problem
Old October 17, 2012, 11:18 AM   #25
DasGuy

"Though there is draw backs to having only one lower, as I've run so many rounds (especially .22) through my lower that I actually managed to wear out my RRA match trigger."

RRA 2-stage triggers are known to have durability issues. I'd reccomend Giessele for your next trigger. They'll cost a little more but they've been tested to withstand 100,000+ trigger pulls.

Last edited by DasGuy; October 18, 2012 at 02:10 AM.