The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old April 25, 2007, 01:38 PM   #26
Abstract

Seriously, any money that you might contemplate spending on firearms over the next 12 months would probably be more wisely spent on psychotherapy.
Old April 25, 2007, 01:52 PM   #27
WIN71

Am I nuts ?

Yes
Quote:
OK, I sleep in my casual clothes. No jammies for me. Yes, I am a bachelor. Plus I like to be "ready to go" should anything happen at night.
Oh man.......firemen don't even do that !!
You say you're a bachelor,.....strange.
Old April 25, 2007, 03:53 PM   #28
CCMO

To each his own, but... seems a bit much to me! A nightstand pistol should be enough IMHO.
Old April 25, 2007, 04:28 PM   #29
1006smith

I much prefer softer, curvier things to sleep with. 5'2", 108#, brunette hair. You get the picture.
Old April 25, 2007, 07:20 PM   #30
gunhand

Yes.
Old April 26, 2007, 08:40 AM   #31
stevelyn

I've fallen asleep quite a few time wearing my gun. Normally when I'm sleeping it's on the floor next to the bed. When I'm out camping, I always have one in the sleeping bag with me.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old April 26, 2007, 09:31 AM   #32
Trip20

If startled from sleep, I'd much prefer the simplicity of grabbing a weapon that is sitting on top of the nightstand, than trying to fish a weapon out of my back pocket from a pair of jeans, sweats, or shorts.

Having a pistol in the back pocket means you first need to gain access to the weapon, and depending upon what position you wake up in, you may have a cumbersome task maneuvering, reaching, grabbing, and drawing from the pocket with out snags. Who knows, with practice I’m sure one could become good at it… but why?

The pistol on the nightstand is there waiting, and can be placed in a fashion that allows an easy and memorable grab. While it's technically farther away than a pistol in the pocket, IMO the accessibility overrides the closeness offered by pocket carry, especially when considering the extra time it may take to employ the pocket carried pistol.

You can also buy a holster and attach it to the side of your bed, headboard…etc, where ever you find it easiest to access. It’s always in the same spot that way.

Of course I sleep in my birthday suit, I have high thread-count sheets, and I will not allow the probability (however low) of a home invasion to stop me from enjoying this simple pleasure.

Home-invaders beware: Ye who entereth this domicile shall tangle with an armed naked hairy Italian!

That’ll scare away a few bad guys…

If you’re a bachelor living in an apartment complex that doesn’t allow pets or permanent alarm systems, get yourself some of these, these, or these, and sleep well.
Old April 26, 2007, 09:45 AM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

Works for me if the gun is loaded with silver bullets to ward off the midnight supernatural attack.
Old April 26, 2007, 11:31 AM   #34
Groundhog

This thread has inspired me. I'm going to go with trip wires, flash bangs, and a couple of claymors. if that doesn't do it, then the large bearded hairy Irishman will!

Glen, where do you get your supply of silver bullets? If hollowpoint, you could put some garlic powder in there and cover the tip with wax, or alternate rounds with garlic and holy water. Must get some of those!

"Remember, a valid point never overrules a family tradition." - Me
Old April 26, 2007, 08:15 PM   #35
allenomics

If you live on the streets or in the woods or are in a foreign and dangerous country, yes, you might consider sleeping with a loaded gun in your pocket. Almost anything else would be a stretch.
Old April 26, 2007, 08:17 PM   #36
kgpcr

Sleeping with your weapon? i would say Paranoid!!
Smith M&P 40
Old April 26, 2007, 10:58 PM   #37
BillCA

The best alarm system I ever had was a 85-90 pound Doberman who slept in my room. Once he learned the typical night noises I could trust his distinctive woof-growl to alert me to something unusual. I'd let him go investigate and if he started that snarling growl it was time to join him with a .45 in hand.

A good dog that will alert you when something isn't right can not only act as a deterrent but can delay any intruder or prowler while you get oriented and armed.
Old April 27, 2007, 08:21 AM   #38
Syntax360

I've gotta put my vote in the "Ya, you're crazy" box...

One on the nightstand is just fine, actually sleeping with it on you is just way too paranoid for 99% of the people on this board, IMHO. YMMV...
Old April 27, 2007, 09:38 AM   #39
TxPhantom

All I can say is"WOW"....

Moderators please delete this thread before the antis' see it and use it to show that gun owners are dangerous and deranged!
If your not putting us on, this is the sillyest post I've ever seen. Get a grip (on reality)! I thought I was being extreme by having three pistols in my bedstand. No wonder you are a bachelor :barf:
USA OUT OF THE UN- LET THEM APPLAUDE THAT!
Old April 27, 2007, 10:02 AM   #40
Beckerich

no thats mental, you would wake up and be half asleep and shoot yourself in the leg. Please dont play into the crazy gun wielding american stereotype, there are enough of them there.
Old April 27, 2007, 10:21 AM   #41
TwoXForr

Invest in some good doors and locks, maybe buy an alarm system, and maybe get a solid core door with a deadbolt on your bedroom door.

1/3 of you your life (most likey less for most of us, Hearing strains of Warren Zevon in the background) is spent in bed. I would suggest try sleeping without the shooting iron for a bit.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.
Old April 27, 2007, 10:21 AM   #42
FirstFreedom

OK, I see that I am a bit paranoid. I thoroughly hazed now; thanks for the verbal flogging, to show me the error of my ways.
Old April 27, 2007, 11:09 AM   #43
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Paranoid, crazy, etc., etc. Someday I'm gonna wake up and find some constructive criticism as spoken by gentlemen.

Guess it wasn't today.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread