The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 24, 2007, 12:58 PM   #26
CCMO

One pistol (6+1) and two magazines.

Spouse carries one revolver. Since she doesn't have to worry about a magazine malfunction, she often carries no spare ammunition. One speed strip at most.
Old April 24, 2007, 10:21 PM   #27
SpiritWalker

One pistol, 2 mags unless I'm stealth camping, then I carry a couple/three extra mags in my ruck in addition to the double pouch on my belt.
Old April 26, 2007, 02:24 AM   #28
exprt9

If going to a bad part of town, two reloads and a BUG. Close to home, at least one reload and a BUG. Quick run to the grocery store, BUG with one reload. If going out of town or state, same as going to bad part of town.
Old April 30, 2007, 01:07 AM   #29
Bob42

To those that carry no reloads, how would you deal with 2+ bg outside of 7ft? It would be really embarrassing (not to mention fatal) to get into a gunfight and then run out of ammo.

Many people will say that "most" encounters are with a single person, at close range ect. But if you carry a gun, you are preparing for something is statistically unlikely in any case. So why only be ready for the normal encounter?

It is better to have and not need then need and not have.
Old April 30, 2007, 12:29 PM   #30
David Armstrong

Quote:
To those that carry no reloads, how would you deal with 2+ bg outside of 7ft?
Well, if I have a 5-shot snub with me, I guess I could shoot two of them twice each and still have a round left over. Or if I'm carrying a Glock I'll have lots of rounds left over.
Nothing wrong with carrying lots of spare ammo, but I do think it is somewhat deceptive to try to think it will matter.
Old April 30, 2007, 12:34 PM   #31
parrothead2581

I think what Bob was getting at was, what if you miss or run out of ammo? Say the BGs are on something and aren't stopped? That being said I would run like h***, watching my back, to get out of there.

This time of year, in the south, a J-frame plus one reload is what I carry 95% of the time.