The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 8, 2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Herr Walther

Tell me about American-made SIG-Sauer's

I'm considering the P226 Elite Dark TB in 9mm. I have owned many SIG-Sauer's in the past but none that were American made. I'm rather leary of an American manufacturered European weapons having extensive experience with Walther's licensed copies from Interarms.

I've owned a P226, P228, and two P225's so I am very familiar with the German manufactured models.

How do the American manufactured models stack up against their Euro counterparts in the machinework, fit, and finish areas?

Does SIG-Sauer still import any pistols to the US?
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 8, 2013, 01:12 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
Herr Walther .....I'm rather leary of an American manufacturered European weapons having extensive experience with Walther's licensed copies from Interarms.
Wasn't Interarms just the importer of European made Walthers?

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old July 8, 2013, 01:19 PM   #3
BarryLee

I’ve got an American made P220 and P229 which I’ve owned for a few years. The only comparisons I can make to the German made guns are guns some friends own. Obviously I’m biased, but I like my guns better especially the SRT option. I personally like the milled slide better than the folded slide, but I’m sure a lot of folks will disagree. I have experienced zero issues with either gun and have found them accurate and easy to shoot.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 8, 2013, 01:24 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I'm rather leary of an American manufacturered European weapons having extensive experience with Walther's licensed copies from Interarms.
American Sigs aren't licensed. They're made by Sig engineers, on Sig tooling, to Sig's standards.

The metallurgy of the slides is better, the extractor is a little easier to work on if necessary, and the finish is more resilient. Those are about the only functional changes, at least on the traditional P-series models.

Quote:
Aside from the P210 models, I don't believe they do any more.
Old July 8, 2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Skans

Quote:
My X-Five was made in Germany.
Old July 8, 2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Que

I believe the American Interarms Walthers that the OP is referring to are the PPK and PPK/s made by Ranger in Gadsden, Alabama for Interams under license from Walther.
Old July 8, 2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Herr Walther

Yes, that is exactly what I'm refering to. The rest of the Walthers were made in Germany (or France depending on the model).

Thank you for your responses. I'm a little undecided at this point. I have watched some unflattering you tube videos about magazine problems and the fact they are not shipping with Mec-Gar mags anymore.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 8, 2013, 02:09 PM   #8
TunnelRat

Quote:
have watched some unflattering you tube videos about magazine problems and the fact they are not shipping with Mec-Gar mags anymore.
Pay attention to the dates of those videos. Situations change quickly and what was true then might not be true now.

In addition, anyone can post anything to the internet, it doesn't make it a fact . You're also much more likely to find people making negative videos.

I've owned older and newer SIGs. I would have no problem with a newer SIG.
Maintain situational awareness
Old July 8, 2013, 02:22 PM   #9
blfuller

The only reason the PPK/S was made domestically was because it did not meet import restrictions imposed by the BATFE on small pocket type pistols. I believe all other pistols met the requirements and were made by Walther in Germany.

There are some that believe that German craftsmanship is superior and will only buy the German made SIGs. I don't believe there are too many that aren't made in the US anymore.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:25 PM   #10
sigarms228

Quote:
I have watched some unflattering you tube videos about magazine problems and the fact they are not shipping with Mec-Gar mags anymore.
I believe that has pretty much been resolved from what I have been reading on SIGforum, etc.

In any case IMO the P226, etc are too nice of pistols to not consider because of a potential magazine problem that can easily be resolved for not much money. I buy 18 round Mecgar flush for for my P226s anyhow and usually get them for $22 a piece or so in more normal times.

I handled and dry fired a new P226 MK25 yesterday and was impressed by it.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:26 PM   #11
LockedBreech

I'm with TR. It's popular to bash the Exeter-made Sigs, and it's also very true that the root of that bashing was originally well-founded, as there have definitely been occasional quality control hiccups from the Cohen-run Exeter-made Sig Sauer. However, those flaws seem much less common in current production. I have shot two or three current-production Sigs recently and they were very well made and 100% reliable.
Old July 8, 2013, 02:27 PM   #12
manta49

Quote:
I personally like the milled slide better than the folded slide, but I’m sure a lot of folks will disagree. I have experienced zero issues with either gun and have found them accurate and easy to shoot.
I didn't think that Sig used the folded slide anymore.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:03 PM   #13
DealHunter

No problems with my US Sigs so far although they are "older" US models.

Have a P232 that's still German made (at least when I got it) and it seems just as well made as any other Sig.
Old July 8, 2013, 03:35 PM   #14
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I have three Exeter made Sigs. They are both 100% reliable and three of the finest pistols I own. They are a P220 and a P229. Both use -1 magazines, and a Sig C3 Crimson Trace, with extended magwell. Other than one Colt that was given to me by my father, the Sigs are the other handguns I will never part with. I carry the P229 everyday in the summer and usually the P220 in the winter. The reason being the P220 is slightly harder to conceal with my build.

I am so impressed that my next firearm purchase will be a Sig, a 516 , but a Sig none the less.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old July 8, 2013, 03:38 PM   #15
pat701

No problems with them at all!! Look at the weak ejection and BTF problems that Glock is having at this time with some of their pistols. Sig is GTG
Old July 8, 2013, 05:15 PM   #16
WVsig

Quote:
I'm considering the P226 Elite Dark TB in 9mm. I have owned many SIG-Sauer's in the past but none that were American made. I'm rather leary of an American manufacturered European weapons having extensive experience with Walther's licensed copies from Interarms.

I've owned a P226, P228, and two P225's so I am very familiar with the German manufactured models.

How do the American manufactured models stack up against their Euro counterparts in the machinework, fit, and finish areas?

The American Sigs are high quality guns especially when you stick to the P series and the SP2022 IMHO. I am not a fan of the offerings designed in the US. Guns like their 1911, P250 P238 and P938. These have all had problems and Sig used the buying public to QC these offerings.

The US made P series guns all have a milled stainless steel slide with a alum frame. IIRC the ST line guns have German frames. They are a little more top heavy than the older folded carbon steel and are finished in Nitron not blued. Nitron is a much harder longer lasting finish but it has lead to more slide rail damage which results from poor finishing at the factory at times. Not all the time but it has been much more frequent with US Sigs than in the past and the Nitron finish makes the damage worse.

All Sig now have external extractors which once the kinks were worked out of the designs once again by the buying public seem to run. The P220 was the worst of the change overs because Sig did not bother to change the extractor design when it changed the slide to stainless steel.

IMHO if you "LOVED" the older guns you will be satisfied by the new ones but they are not the same. There is a different feel to them which does not appeal to me. Maybe its all the "kimber" like add ons and finishes and instant collectibles that they have created. I am not a Cohen Sig fan.

This is not to say that US Sigs are not good guns. They are they are just not "german" Sigs. It you really want a German Sig there are still small batches which make their way over from time to time. It is hard to predict when and what will come over but if you know where to look and keep your eyes open and $$$ ready they pop up. Also all the the master series pistols are all German.

Honestly if you like the older Sigs like I do the used market is where I would go. New Sigs are $800+ guns and you can still find cherry LNIB P series guns from Germany for under $650 so even if you do not like the new ones you can still get a new Sig....

Last edited by WVsig; July 8, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:28 PM   #17
Herr Walther

Thank you. I think I'll shop around for a German made SIG-Sauer.

I might even go back to my old standby P225.
Old July 8, 2013, 05:31 PM   #18
thedudeabides

If it's a P220/P226/P229/SP2022 you're fine.

I don't trust any other Sig.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:35 PM   #19
TunnelRat

Quote:
If it's a P220/P226/P229/SP2022 you're fine.

I don't trust any other Sig.
You don't trust the P228? What about the P225?
Old July 8, 2013, 06:39 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Thank you. I think I'll shop around for a German made SIG-Sauer.
Seems like you sort of had your answer before you even made this thread. Regardless, best of luck.
Old July 8, 2013, 06:45 PM   #21
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I would trust my C3 with my life. It is the best fitting 1911 I have ever owned. It is the most accurate Sig I own. Saying to not trust other Sigs is simply an opinion.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old July 8, 2013, 06:59 PM   #22
WVsig

As is saying you should trust a C3 with your life. It is not that I would not if the example in my hand proved reliable but X=1 a proof does not make.

Having handled hundreds of Sigs some German some US made the only ones that have failed were US made but as I like to say all poodles are dogs not all dogs are poodles.

YMMV
Old July 8, 2013, 08:28 PM   #23
wnycollector

I'm the happy owner of three West German manufactured SIGs (P220, P226 and P6) and a US made P250 full size 45. While West German pistols were manufactured a ~quarter century and ~4000 miles apart, ALL of my SIGs arel high quality, reliable and VERY accurate. If I were in the market for another SIG, I would not worry about it's country of manufacture.
Old July 8, 2013, 08:36 PM   #24
Jay24bal

Mine works just fine...

While my US-made Sig is not a traditional one most people have experience with (p250 compact), I have not had a single issue.

It has well over 2,000 rounds down the pipe and has never had so much as a hiccup. It handles any HP I have ever ran through it as well as handloads. It rides proudly on my hip everyday.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 8, 2013, 09:51 PM   #25
Herr Walther

No, I did not have my mind made up as I have no experience with the American made SIG-Sauer models. I wanted to hear from those with extensive experience with both before making a decision.

I am quite familiar with the history and firearms of Walther but not so with SIG-Sauer.