The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 27, 2010, 10:39 AM   #1
wpcexpert

FFL Transfer of Firearms

Back story:
My Aunt and Uncle can no longer have firearms in their house due some trouble my cousin got into. They need to get 2 firearms out of the house. My mother is going to take possession on the guns, but lives in a different state.

I know that they just can't, legally, give her the firearms.

I know that my mother can get a copy of an FFL in her state and My aunt and uncle can send the guns up there for the transfer.

Question is, can they hand carry the guns, to the FFL in my mother's state and do the transfer like that?
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 27, 2010, 11:48 PM   #2
kilimanjaro

I certainly could be wrong, but I thought transfers between family members was legal across state lines, correct me if I'm mistaken.

Maybe they should transfer the cousin out of the house, instead.
Old February 28, 2010, 12:13 AM   #3
rwilson452

Yes they can do that.

Interstate transfers must be done via an FFL in the state the the receiving party. Intrastate transfers between family member may or may not need an FFL it depends on the state.

Quote:
Back story:
My Aunt and Uncle can no longer have firearms in their house due some trouble my cousin got into. They need to get 2 firearms out of the house. My mother is going to take possession on the guns, but lives in a different state.

I know that they just can't, legally, give her the firearms.

I know that my mother can get a copy of an FFL in her state and My aunt and uncle can send the guns up there for the transfer.

Question is, can they hand carry the guns, to the FFL in my mother's state and do the transfer like that?
Old February 28, 2010, 12:31 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I certainly could be wrong, but I thought transfers between family members was legal across state lines, correct me if I'm mistaken.
If one lives in one state and another person lives in a different state then there must be an FFL involved in the transfer of ownership of a firearm between those two persons.

The only exception that I'm aware of is that a gun left as an inheritance can legally be transferred to its new owner in another state assuming the new owner can legally possess it.
Quote:
Yes, as long as an FFL is involved it's ok.

And you can legally take a firearm you own across state lines as long as it's legal to possess the firearm where you came from and at your destination.
Old February 28, 2010, 11:02 AM   #5
wpcexpert

Thanks guys.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson