The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 30, 2008, 07:22 AM   #1
TreyNC

Can you legally make your own suppressor?

Well can ya? Could you apply for a license or registration and then make your own legally? And before you start asking, yes I understand about the physics of suppressors so far as I can find information on and yes I have worked in machine shops and have access to equipment, which brings up another question. If legal to make where does the manufacturing have to take place?

Just kicking around ideas guys. thanks for any input.
Old January 30, 2008, 08:34 AM   #2
VUPDblue

You can machine your own suppressor. Before you start work on it, you must file, and have approved, a Form1. That's an application to make and register a firearm. The suppressor is a firearm in the eyes of the law. Where you make it is irrelevant, as long as no one but you has access to the parts, assembled or not.
Old January 30, 2008, 01:24 PM   #3
Crosshair

Yes, as said defore, you need to Fill an ATF Form 1, pay the $200 tax, and have it approved BEFORE you start building.
Old January 30, 2008, 08:29 PM   #4
schmellba99

Quote:
Where you make it is irrelevant, as long as no one but you has access to the parts, assembled or not.
I'm probably wrong, because the legalities of fabricating a supressor are a pain in the ass, but I thought you could have somebody (machine shop, etc.) manufacture your parts if you don't have the equipment to do so, but you MUST be present at all times during the manufacturing process (paperwork in hand). This allows somebody to "make" a supressor that does not have lathes and mills and what not in their garage, and keeps the machine shop legal in the unlikely event that the ATF decides to do a raid.
Old February 6, 2008, 11:12 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am not sure about suppressors, but BATFE says that anyone can make a regular gun (say a bolt action rifle) for his own use, BUT if he has anyone else make it, even in his presence, that person has to have a manufacturer's license. There is a fine line between making the gun (receiver) and making something that can be made into a receiver, so any "parts" maker and the ultimate owner could both get into trouble if not careful.

If you decide to make a suppressor, and it is legal to own one in your state (remember you have to have CLEO signature on the Form 1), you should inquire of BATFE just how much work you can have done by someone else, AND if you have to tell that person what the end product will be.

Jim
Old February 7, 2008, 06:52 AM   #6
TreyNC

I can gain access to the equipment I need to do the work my self, I just own it nor have it on my property. As far as my CLEO goes we will have to see, I know there are ways around him. May not be a problem, I'll ask him in church.