The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 14, 2007, 12:00 AM   #1
456-SGT

870 express front bead

Does the front bead on a factory new 870 express simply unscrew?

If so, anything to be wary of, such as it being set in lock-tite or something of the sort?

I want to replace with a high vis type fiber optic bead.

Thanks
Old November 14, 2007, 10:07 AM   #2
ronto

From what I've read on other forums, it's not screwed in it's forced in. If you get the magnetic type of Hi-Viz site that attaches to the vent rib you won't have to take the front bead off anyway.
I have the magnetic type on my Mossberg 500 and it's doesn't budge. Although Mossberg sites are screwed in, the installation instructions say to leave the original front bead on. Drilling and tapping a new hole is not neccessary and sounds like a real PIA to me that's not necessary. You can always remove the Hi-Viz site without ruining the original look of your shotgun if you ever want to sell/trade or don't like the Hi-Viz site after trying it.

P.S. It's called the "Bird Buster" and comes with an interchangeable assortment of shapes and colors of lite pipes ($14.84 at Wal-Mart).

Last edited by ronto; November 14, 2007 at 03:55 PM.
Old November 14, 2007, 12:18 PM   #3
wolverine350

it does not screw in and once its out it will need to be drilled and tapped for a proper site
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old November 14, 2007, 09:40 PM   #4
rem870hunter

bird buster hi viz

i bought that set up off ebay back in march. brand new in package unopened. for 3.00. it has a few different light pipes and 3 bases. will fit a variety of vent ribs. the magnets could maybe a little bit stronger. mine has'nt fallen off yet. but sight pick up even in low light is awesome. i can see my bead faster and better for clays. i was thinking of buying a hi viz bead alone for the barrel. but saw the bird buster set. they make a sight for use on plain barrels too. if not them its true glo. i am thinking on buying an 18" cyl. bore barrel and put that on it.
Old November 15, 2007, 07:58 AM   #5
456-SGT

What about smooth outer bore barrels with no rib? I have my tactical 870 in mind. No rib, just bead. Anyone know of a good magnetic version for something like this?
Old November 15, 2007, 08:30 AM   #6
rem870hunter

bead sight for plain barrel

true glo makes a hi viz sight for use on non rib barrels. such as a plain 18",18.5", or 20" plain security type. cheaperthandirt.com has a variety of sights. they have the birdbuster set. maybe natchez does too. if i buy a plain bead sight cyl. bore barrel. i am going to get 1 of these set for it. i think the bead on the plain barels are threaded in.

CTD Forums
You're here: Gun Gear-->Sights-->Shotguns-->Regular

Manufacturer: Hiviz - Mfr# MPB

Specifications/features:
Fits all 12, 16 & 20 gauge shotguns w/o ventilated ribs
4 green & red LitePipes
2 large & 2 small dia. LitePipes
Magnetic snap-on/off base

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plain Barrel Shotgun Sight, 4 Green & Red LitePipes
Item #: 89402
Our Low Price: $12.36
Club Price: $11.12
Value: $19.95
Your Savings: $7.59 (38.05%)
Club Savings: $8.83 (44.26%)
Old November 15, 2007, 08:50 AM   #7
azsixshooter

I just slapped a Hi-Viz magnetic dillio on my vented 870. Works like a charm, got it for about $3 in the bargain bin at Sportsman's Whorehouse.
"Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We're evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that." --Saul Tigh
http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2...s-no-more.html