The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 15, 2006, 05:24 PM   #1
1911austin

Need help with shotshell payload weight

I got my first automatic shotgun this weekend, a FN Auto Loading Police. It came with two gas pistons one for loads over 1.5 ounces and one for loads under 1.5 ounces. My problem is Winchester, Federal and Remington don’t seem to list the weights of their loads. The list only shot size, number of shot and velocity.

Can anyone help me determine the payload weight of 12ga 00 and 000 buck shot loads in both 2.75 and 3 inch shells?
Old October 15, 2006, 08:52 PM   #2
BUCKMARK

The FN Auto Police is the same design as the Winchester Super X II.

Winchester also comes with 2 pistons, and the general rule is that the light load piston is used for target loads. 1 1/8 oz. of shot at around 1200 ft per second and lighter. Most Winchester SXII's work just fine with 1 3/8 oz loads with the heavy piston.

I havent tried mine...but I would bet that your gun will work just fine with the heavy load piston in it for use with about any standard buckshot load.

If you are using "low recoil" buckshot loads, and they do no work the action 100% of the time....give the light piston a try.

Let's Roll!