The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 21, 2006, 11:59 AM   #1
Big Yac

Magnum primers

I reload my 454 Casull using Winchester 296 and 300gr Hornady XTP Mag bullets. The primers I use are the standard Winchester small rifle primers. The charge of powder I use is 30.5gr. This is a pretty accuarate load from my Super Redhawk. What I"m wondering is would a magnum primer help any? I keep seeing that with 296 you should use a magnum primer. I'm assuming that if one uses a magnum primer then the powder charge must be reduced too. I guess what I"m really asking is would there be any advantage to switching to a magnum primer? I've never noticed the gun to be too dirty from unburnt powder. I use a medium crimp with the RCBS dies(maybe I should go alittle heavier? Never had any bullet setback though). I've never noticed any signs of high pressure. The only thing I have noticed is the cases seem to be alittle extra dirty maybe from powder blown back into the cylinder. Could this be not having enough pressure to let the cases seal again the cylinder walls? Thanks

Oh one more thing. I found a load using 11gr of Titegroup and a Speer 260gr bullet. I have these bullets and this powder but was just wondering if anyone has tried this load yet? I'm just wanting something alittle lighter than my load in the above paragraph.
Old March 21, 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
azredhawk44

When I change primers for my 44mag loads, I back down my H110 (similar to 296) about a grain just to verify that it's still safe, then bring it back up 1/2 a grain at a time.

I usually end right back at 23.5gr no matter whether I use a CCI magnum pistol primer, a Winchester large pistol primer, or a Federal magnum pistol primer.

My muzzle fireball is bigger with a "standard" primer than a "magnum" primer, so I guess I get more burn in the barrel (and more speed) from a magnum.

My cases are almost always filthy.