The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2013, 12:04 AM   #1
mags2079

primer mishap

I bought some primers the other day and the clerck sold me the wrong primers got cci 250's instead of cci 200's which I need. My question is. Is there any harm using the cci 250 instead of the cci 200's in my hand loads.
I am reloading 7mm-08 35 grains of h335 and a 160 bullet. Any help will be helpful. Could I back my load down to 30 grains of h335?
Old November 18, 2013, 12:17 AM   #2
Valornor

CCI 250 are the magnums I take it. (I can never remember the numbers)

You'll be fine. It will up the pressure but unless you are loading near max you're not going to over pressure your gun. If you're really worried about it, back off 2 grains and then work up. I wouldn't back off five.

Looking for a new blog dealing with firearms and reloading, check out http://theheadstamp.com/
Old November 18, 2013, 01:54 AM   #3
Nick_C_S

I don't load rifle. But in the pistol world (CCI 300/350; 500/550) it is not critical other than with those recipes where they're already at the top end of the pressure envelope. In that rare case, moving to a magnum primer could potentially put the recipe into the danger zone.

At the peak of the shortages, I found myself running low on standard primers, but had plenty of magnums. With a number of my target and general-purpose shooting rounds, I just loaded them with the magnums - with no reduction in powder. They seemingly shot the same. It was basically a non-issue.
Old November 18, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Jeff2131

I just did the same thing with my .308's. I load mid range and usually use cci large rifle primers, someone bought me magnums rifle primes and i used them anyway. I went to the range this weekend and out of 100 rounds, all went well with the exception of one round...the primer blew out of the case, round went down range though. Im thinking either a high pressure issue or the primer pocket was a bit too loose. I get a couple that seat very easily sometimes, but this is the first time i had one blow out.

Tags
primers , reloading