The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 31, 2010, 10:16 AM   #1
charleslee

L C Smith

Need help from you L C Smith experts, pls. I just put a deposit on a L C Smith. All I know about them is that they were fine quality shotguns. This one is a 12 ga. w/ damascus barrels, model 1886, ser. # 110621. Looks to be in pretty good cond., wood is real nice, didn't see any rust/pitting, barrels look good for such an old gun, etc. Price - $450.00. I know, you need alot more info, like barrel lenght, # of triggers (I don't remember), & what not. Old mom & pop store, God Bless them, right?. Gonna get all my ammo from them from now on! Gun has been there forever, according to the wife. I don't know. Husband being treated for cancer. She said they don't sell many guns, so maybe it has sat there. If you could give me an idea w. this lmtd. info, pls., I'd appreciate it!
Old July 31, 2010, 10:49 AM   #2
natman

If it has damascus barrels, take it home, clean it up and hang it over the fireplace.

Yes I know that guys shoot them with custom loads, but by the time you get the gun checked out and invest in the loading equipment, you might as well get a modern shotgun.
Old July 31, 2010, 11:23 AM   #3
JNewell

Damascus - concur. Wallhanger. Beautiful, but not a shooter.
Old July 31, 2010, 03:40 PM   #4
oneounceload

Damascus..............I'll say..it DEPENDS..........I know MANY folks who shoot Damascus barrel shotguns....AFTER they have been checked by the right gunsmith....and they use light loads......so it is NOT necessarily a wall-hanger.......it MIGHT be, it might NOT be.....if nothing else, it CAN be sleeved to shoot modern low-pressure loads....not a cheap solution, but an option nonetheless
Old August 1, 2010, 03:06 PM   #5
hoghunting

Here's everything you need for information on the L C Smith. I spent time on this site searching for data on my Smith.

http://www.lcsmith.org/