The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Rathunter

9 mm bullet seating depth

I am new to reloading. When using different bullets what is the best way to determine how deep to seat a particular bullet? For example I am sing the black bullets from Precision Bullets, Inc. Do I just measure the OAL and if it is @ 1.120" then the bullet is sufficiently seated? If not, what is the appropriate way to determine it? Thanks for your suggestions.
Old March 16, 2006, 02:58 PM   #2
JDG

My lee manual give min oal, for each powder, to avoid pressure problems. As long as you are less than 1.169, and it fits in your chamber and mags, and stay above the min oal, you'll be ok. I load my 115 fmj at 1.155, even though the manual says I can load them at 1.125. Better safe than sorry.
Old March 16, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3
HSMITH

Make sure the bullet Ogive does NOT contact the rifling when the bullet is chambered. If it doesn't hit, and it will fit in your mags and feeds well the OAL is suitable for that gun. If it fails in any one of the three areas change the OAL and try again.

I load most 9mm around 1.130".
Old March 19, 2006, 04:24 AM   #4
MrApathy

I like to load long when possible.

when starting new loads or using new bullets take your bullet load it out long to max 1.169" take a marker and mark all over the bullet you could use paint or something else. take the cartridge check magazine fit if good check the chamber fit.

dont force the cartridge into the chamber and dont let the slide slam home over it. see how easily it goes in. if the slide fails to go into battery eject check the bullet for rifling marks. if it goes into battery short cycle the gun out of battery and back in check to see if the bullet is getting stuck on rifling. sometimes it will hit rifling and not get stuck but it can be sticky wont cycle/eject smoothly.

I had bad problem with Steyr M9 and Hornady XTP's. long story short I now know I can only load XTP's to max of 1.125" OAL. other bullets are fine as long as they have round/ball profile.

one of the worst things that can happen is you go to chamber a load then it fails to go to battery you then go to eject and the bullet doesnt leave the chamber yet the casing ejects. get powder all over inside the gun. have to disassemble the gun and get the bullet out and clean the powder up. another bad thing that can happen is the cartridge goes to battery you get setback and pressure spike.

CZ's and Steyr's only two manufacture of guns I know have some issues with some bullet types being loaded long and hitting rifling.
A repeat of history, That's how it goes