The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old July 12, 1999, 10:51 PM   #1
Jeff Thomas

I know this situation is probably almost impossible to change, and perhaps I'm the only one irritated. But, personally, I'm really tired of threads like this (paraphrased):

"I don't think anyone should buy Kahr firearms because they are owned by the Moonies."

And later, in the same post, the Topic Starter states something like "I really don't know anything about the Moonies ... I just thought I'd jazz you guys."

Or, "So, is $1,200 a good price for a pre-ban AR?". And later, "Aw, I know it's a great price, and I also know everything there is to know about AR's, and I'm only 19."

I think it's fine to kid around with each other, but some of these BS threads are getting a little tedious, IMHO. I enjoy the debates we have here, but I am somewhat less interested in returning to TFL everytime I spend some time on such a thread.

So, maybe I'm a bit touchy tonight, but I wonder if anyone else finds this to be an irritating waste of time?
Old July 13, 1999, 02:23 AM   #2
boing

Well, yes, I think it's an irritating waste of time. But I think that sort of thing generally comes from new members, who have come from the other boards, and haven't yet gotten the gist of what TFL is about.

Give them some time, let them see what the "complexion of the board" is, and if they catch on, then maybe we've helped them to start considering the serious issues.

It's going to happen, so I just try to ignore it. And I never feel less inclined to re-visit TFL. It's too good too much of the time to go without.

-boing
Old July 13, 1999, 07:05 AM   #3
JMC

I agree with you 100% and I realize these irritating posts come from new posters but, what I have done in the past when first coming to a board is to "lurk" for awhile and check the archives before asking a question or for that matter, responding blindly.

What irritates me the most are the threads that obviously are intended to bring about controversy.

Or, "do you think my .22 rimfire will be as effective as a .45 ACP if I use HP ammo?"

Oh well...

------------------
Jim

"New Jersey... The First Communist State in The Union"

Old July 13, 1999, 09:17 AM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

The Firing Line is growing fast...perhaps too fast. We are having an increasingly difficult time keeping up with all the threads.

When you do find one that is clearly meant to incite or is childish in nature, please email me. Not everyone will be satisfied with our decisions, but that's why we get paid the big bucks.
Rich
Old July 13, 1999, 11:29 PM   #5
Jeff Thomas

I know, I'm probably just being a little cranky.

Truth is, TFL is such a great resource, I'm really never less likely to visit.

I'll send you an email if a real bozo appears (excluding me ... ). And, Rich, I know you're getting wealthy on TFL, so I won't feel the least bit guilty.

I suppose it is like so many things - a scratch on a new Jaguar sticks out like a sore thumb, but a caved in fender on an old beater just blends right in. It is a reflection of how great TFL is that these irritating posts stick out.

Take care.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited July 14, 1999).]