The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old August 18, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Barnacle Brad

vanilla pudding instead of tenderloin?

Ok boys, here's one for ya...

I have pulled the guts of quite a few critters, but last week I found the most unusual contents I have ever seen.

I killed a mature antelope buck, and when I pulled the entrails out, they did not come out clean - I mean, usually I get a tongue to bung removal of all the contents. This one disconnected just below the diaphragm.

There was a lot of blood pooled in the cavity, so I fished around a little to find a handle to finish the job. How surprised was I to come up with a handful of vanilla pudding? WTH?

I couldn't and still can't wrap my head around this find! The left side of his spine where the tenderloin should have lay was replaced by this viscous goo. I scooped out several handfuls and scraped over the tissue that remained of the tenderloin to remove the material. I thought perhaps it was an infection due to an injury, but there was no smell to it whatsoever. WTH??

Peeps, if anyone has ever seen such a thing please enlighten me. I butchered the critter and none of the meat seemed any different than all the other game I have processed.

Let the commentary flow...

Last edited by Barnacle Brad; August 20, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old August 18, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

The guy you want to talk to is a veterinary. Or perhaps a local Game Warden. As either I would think would be familiar with the situation you encountered.

S/S
Old August 18, 2013, 09:23 PM   #3
Bullcamp82834

That's a new one on me. Particularly the lack of a nasty odor.

I'd call my local game warden and ask. I bet those guys have seen it before.
Old August 18, 2013, 10:46 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

It sounds like a wound where the animal's body had successfully fought off the infection some time ago, but the white blood cells had not yet re-absorbed (hence, the "pudding", but not the smell).
Old August 19, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Hard to believe that the "goo" was not encapsulated within muscle membrane or an organ. Just being loose in the body cavity unless it was released during guttin or from shooting the animal would make me very wary. The amount referenced would also discourage me from eating the animal unless I was desperate. "Handfuls" of strange discharge so close to the best cuts of meat is not something I could forget when cookin' them up.

Last edited by buck460XVR; August 19, 2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old August 19, 2013, 11:29 AM   #6
NoSecondBest

Here in NY they'll give you another tag if you get a critter with questionable safety/or suspect condition. I'd think most states do this. I'd pass eating it if I didn't know what it was. I shot a buck last year covered with dozens of black wart like growths all over its face and chest. I called the game dept and they identified it as a wart like virus that didn't get in the meat and only affected the outer skin. Apparently it's quite common, although I've never seen it on well over a hundred deer I've shot. I googled it and they were correct in what it was and it is safe to eat. After that, I butchered it and ate it. Without knowing, I wouldn't touch it.
Old August 19, 2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

When in doubt, pitch it out. No idea what you stumbled across, but by the volume you describe, it isn't something I could over look. I've taken a few antelope in my day and have never seen any thing like you described.

As mentioned, call a warden and see what their thoughts are.
Old August 19, 2013, 06:00 PM   #8
Scorch

It's an abscess. They are very common on ruminants like cattle, deer, or antelope, they get them from bacteria making it into the bloodstream and then lodging in an organ like the liver, kidneys, or spleen. I saw literally thousands of them working in a slaughterhouse. The fact that it had no odor means it was not "hot", i.e. the infection had been eliminated but the abscess had not yet been absorbed.
Old August 20, 2013, 11:46 AM   #9
buck460XVR

Quote:
It's an abscess. They are very common on ruminants like cattle, deer, or antelope, they get them from bacteria making it into the bloodstream and then lodging in an organ like the liver, kidneys, or spleen. I saw literally thousands of them working in a slaughterhouse. The fact that it had no odor means it was not "hot", i.e. the infection had been eliminated but the abscess had not yet been absorbed.

Yeah, but three/four handfuls of pus in the body cavity of a 1000 pound steer is much different than that same amount in the carcass of an animal 10 times smaller. Being up tight to the tenderloins makes me suspect the infection was liver or kidney orientated. Blood that travels throughout the whole body flows thru those organs, meaning a pretty sick animal.....smell or no smell. Besides, if the guttin' process opens up and spills the cavity contents as the OP stated"I pulled the entrials out, they did not come out clean" , how's one gonna smell any thing else.

Ain't that much meat on an antelope to start with, I'd still pass.
Old August 20, 2013, 12:05 PM   #10
Barnacle Brad

Quote:
Besides, if the guttin' process opens up and spills the cavity contents as the OP stated"I pulled the entrials out, they did not come out clean" , how's one gonna smell any thing else.
The OP did not say that the stomach contents had been breached. What I said was that the connective tissue normally present that provides tongue to bung removal of contents was compromised and did not allow that "clean" removal. That is not to say that there were stomach contents or anything else present in the cavity other than blood and that pudding. It was a very hot day and even with that, there was no odor of any kind coming from the cavity. But I appreciate your conjecture...
Old August 20, 2013, 12:44 PM   #11
Barnacle Brad

According to my local Game and Fish Warden, as long as the flesh is palatable there is no concern with the meat making anyone sick.

SO - anyone want to come fer dinner??

Thanks for your comment Scorch...
Old August 20, 2013, 02:01 PM   #12
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by Barnacle Brad:

According to my local Game and Fish Warden, as long as the flesh is palatable there is no concern with the meat making anyone sick.

There's the rub. The definition of "palatable" is "Pleasant to taste, tasty, savory, delicious". Never had any doubts that the meat, cooked properly would be safe to eat. My doubts were and still are, whether the meat is worth eating. Definitely your choice to make. My choice, even after what the warden said, would still be no.
Old August 20, 2013, 03:22 PM   #13
Barnacle Brad

Quote:
Definitely your choice to make.
Well I guess as long as I have your permission to eat the "Pleasant to taste, tasty, savory, delicious" meat from this goat I am fine with it.

I started this thread to find out if anyone had ever saw this occurrence in a critter before. I never questioned the 'palatability' of the meat. As I have stated - I have cut up a pretty fair amount of meat in my fifty plus years.

If there was any difference in the texture, aroma or anything else different from the meat I am used to seeing I would have already made the decision to discard it. And by the way I have seen the meat from animal that had been wounded (by another hunter) and later killed by my son. There was NO QUESTION in regard to the "palatability" of that meat. We salvaged maybe a quarter of that critter, then decided even that was unfit.

So I appreciate your opinion on an animal you never saw, smelled, or processed buck460xvr. If I wanted an opinion on edibility - well I would never want an opinion on that because I am fully capable of making that determination myself. Thanks!
Old August 20, 2013, 04:40 PM   #14
buck460XVR

Quote:
Well I guess as long as I have your permission to eat the "Pleasant to taste, tasty, savory, delicious" meat from this goat I am fine with it.

So I appreciate your opinion on an animal you never saw, smelled, or processed buck460xvr. If I wanted an opinion on edibility - well I would never want an opinion on that because I am fully capable of making that determination myself. Thanks!
I never meant to say you shouldn't eat it, or that you should.....I just said I wouldn't. Never said it wasn't edible, again, just that I am a tad picky. No need to get defensive. My youngest wont eat Morel mushrooms because of the way they look. Don't make me mad, just leaves more for me. I hope it's tasty and you enjoy it. Part of the hunt is relishing the meat. Only reason I responded to this thread is because you said...
Quote:
Let the commentary flow...

One thing for sure...I will never look at vanilla pudding the same way again.
Old August 20, 2013, 05:12 PM   #15
Barnacle Brad

Defensive? Not yet...

Sarcastic? You bet...
Old August 20, 2013, 08:15 PM   #16
bswiv

Been following this one with interest.........

And after thinking about it a while I'll admit that while I agree that it was probably "safe" once cooked, and may have even tasted good, I'd of not eaten it.

And I say this being someone who cleans fish for a living, have for 35 years, so I'm not what you'd characterize as squeamish.......but there are lines.

Worth knowing too that if something like that was found in one of the big tunas or swords, or maybe in a fat gator, I'd not feel safe in selling the meat.

Having said that I have to admit that I can give you no logical reason for taking that position.........squeamish I guess......
Old August 20, 2013, 09:55 PM   #17
Barnacle Brad

Well the proof is in the pudding!

I fixed the 'good' tenderloin for dinner tonight. Pan seared with garlic powder, salt pepper, and dried basil with a cherry wine and butter reduction.

I tried to associate the awesome flavor in my mouth with the funk that was in the cavity without success. There was no 'off' flavor, not even gamey. The texture was perfect, juicy and tender. I really wish there had been two!

So you can accuse me of being desperate for food or being a fool or imprudent. But you can't accuse me of being a quitter or wasting a game animal.

I take great pride in my handling my game once it hits the ground. You can believe me that if my gag reflex had triggered even once, this thread would be about how I disposed of sick goat carcass.

Thanks again for the comments. Choke - I mean chalk this one up to experience, but one I don't need again for the rest of my hunting life...
Old August 20, 2013, 10:11 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Tuffer than I...

I wouldn't have wasted it... fed the wildlife for sure... Not sure I would have cooked it for the dogs but maybe...

Brent
Old August 20, 2013, 10:31 PM   #19
big al hunter

Quote:
SO - anyone want to come fer dinner??
Sounds good to me. What time?. Keep in mind I have a few hundred miles to drive.

Without a bad odor I wouldn't hesitate to eat it.
Old August 20, 2013, 11:28 PM   #20
Barnacle Brad

Well I am about 14hrs from Seattle. If you leave about 4 a.m. you can be here in time for late dinner. Bring yer fishin pole and a pillow, I'll take care of the rest!

As for the guys advocating wanton waste of wildlife - shame on you. And coming from the Forum Staff??

I have seen these types come in from out of state and shoot a doe or smallish buck and leave it lay. Feeding the wildlife. Not being a man and taking responsibility for their actions is more like it. That is the lowest of low in my book.

And if you really want to insult me, tell me the meat in my freezer is not fit for your high brow flea bitten hounds. You hypocrites want to espouse ethics on one side of your mouth and then throw away perfectly good meat if you perceive an issue. Probably dont know what venison even tastes like after your processor gets done wallering it around their operation.

Oops! Did I use my out loud voice? Well kiss my a__ and call me Harry...

If you really want to know what I think about it just ask!

Moderator!

Last edited by hogdogs; August 21, 2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old August 20, 2013, 11:56 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Quote:
As for the guys advocating wanton waste of wildlife - shame on you. And coming from the Forum Staff??
It's handled differently in Florida.
And, on top of seasons and bag limits that allow something like 108 deer to be taken, per hunter, Brent hunts areas that have big problems with meat being completely worm-infested. So, wasted animals are not something Wildlife officers even care about. (They wouldn't eat it, either.)

The deer population in Brent's area is doing "so well" that the Air Force often sends out "pest control" teams to shoot them and let them rot where they fall. Off the base, poachers keep the population in control, year-round.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:26 AM   #22
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, at least there's been a little bit of a solution to the causality of the pudding...
Closed Thread