The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 29, 2012, 02:37 PM   #51
Powderman

Zippy, I'll repeat--the problem is simple.

Your slide is running too fast, and is causing the rounds to nosedive into the feed ramp.

This is caused by a heavier than normal recoil spring.

If you have a factory weight recoil spring, the problem can be caused by weak magazine springs. If you do have a relatively new factory weight spring (16-16.5 lb.), change your magazine spring to the Wolff extra power magazine spring.

I carry a Colt Enhanced 1911 for a duty gun Because I run a constant diet of +P 230 grain duty rounds through it, I change my magazine springs every 6 months. I also use a Wolff 18 lb. spring. My magazines are all CMC Shooting Star magazines--which, incidentally, are the OEM magazines for Colt now. My pistol runs like a Swiss watch.

Give it a try!
Old November 29, 2012, 02:46 PM   #52
Tactical Jackalope

^ that does sound awesome.

However, I noticed on my Gold Cup that the barrel feed ramp isn't smooth edged like the 2nd post on this thread lie creeper has his. Like all my other 1911's are. It has grooves instead. Could this be my reasoning?

I spoke to some guy who "knows a good amount" and say that because the Gold Cup is a match gun it's supposed to only feed FMJ's.

Is that true?
Old November 29, 2012, 09:05 PM   #53
dgludwig

[QUOTE]I spoke to some guy who "knows a good amount" and say that because the Gold Cup is a match gun it's supposed to only feed FMJ's.

My understanding is that Colt Gold Cups were set up to run 185 grain semi-wadcutter target ammunition. At least, that's pretty much all that I've shot through my Gold Cup while competing in Bullseye matches for the past several decades without incident. Of course, most 1911 pistols should digest most FMJ (hardball) ammunition flawlessly.