The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 27, 2012, 02:19 AM   #1
deerslayer303

New Barrel for the GPR.

I'm wanting to order a new barrel for my GPR, for a number of reasons. I see that track of the wolf has them and even GM's website. But they say that they will fit with the addition of another barrel lug. Does that mean the tube for the ram rod? Or the lug on the back that fits into the stock? And if so do I have to order this barrel and find a smith to install this other lug?
Old February 27, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
Hawg

I think they mean the lug for the barrel keys.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:29 PM   #3
arcticap

A barrel lug usually protrudes from the bottom of the barrel for attaching it to the stock.
The metal tube for holding the ramrod is called a ferrule.
The lug on the back end of the barrel that fits into a stock is either a "hook" if it's part of a "hooked breech", or it's a "tang" that is attached to the stock by a screw.
A hooked breech eliminates the need to remove a tang screw when removing the barrel. The tang is part of the breech plug that screws into the breech end of the barrel.

Last edited by arcticap; February 27, 2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:23 AM   #4
dlbarr

Not that it's any of my business....

....and far be it from me to stand in the way of you getting a new barrel. But.... why would you want one? Something wrong with the barrel that came on your GPR? I've been told those are probably the best production ML rifles in existence.
Old March 1, 2012, 02:06 AM   #5
deerslayer303

Well the blueing is far from what I would be happy with. The bore is in good shape, the rail on the bottom of the barrel don't even have a spot (threaded hole and slot for the ramrod clip spring the rod just falls right out) and the previous owner buggered up the clean out screw and it will not come out. So I think my plan has changed at least for now anyway. I am going to drill out the old clean out screw and clean the threads up and install a new one. And I will come up with a way to hold the ram rod secure (I'm not going to use it, but these things don't look right to me without their rod in place) I'll just use my range rod. I bought this rifle on GB and it just don't look like it was taken care of, that or she has seen her fair share of the woods If the rain holds off we are going to launch some 226 grain balls down range today and see what we can blow up I like the crap out of the thing though, its super barrel heavy and I can hold it steadier free handed better than any other gun I own. I'm not going to just get rid of her just because she's been rode hard and put up wet.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:01 AM   #6
mykeal

All those problems are within the home gunsmith's range. If you want to tackle them and need help, just ask.

Have you contacted Lyman about a replacement rail, screw and spring? Much, much cheaper than a new barrel.

Why do you want to remove the cleanout screw? Under normal maintenance, there's no reason to remove it.

Shoot the gun. If you then don't like the barrel, buy a new one. The only reason for replacing a barrel is if it doesn't shoot well.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Hawg

Quote:
Why do you want to remove the cleanout screw? Under normal maintenance, there's no reason to remove it.

+1 I never took one out. I owned an Investarms Hawken for over 30 years and never saw a need to take it out. Haven't even considered it on my custom Hawken.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Beagle333

Quote:
You know, I had been wondering that too. It's just another little thing that exists and for some reason, I want to mess with it!

(But I won't)
Old March 1, 2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Pahoo

Best not to go there !!

Quote:
There are many good reasons not to remove this screw on the side of the snails. Frankly, I wish they had never been put there. Looks like heck, all buggered up but not going anywhere. I speak from personal experience and a great learning one at that ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 1, 2012, 12:44 PM   #10
deerslayer303

Ok I won't mess with the screw, fixing to call Lyman now.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:37 PM   #11
deerslayer303

Lyman said that the older GPR's were in fact manufactured the way mine is, the newer ones have the clip spring and screw so I will have to install and new rib.
Old March 1, 2012, 02:03 PM   #12
Beagle333

That leaves me with the question of what was supposed to hold the older GPR ramrods in place?
Old March 1, 2012, 06:22 PM   #13
Mr.Guido

Many high end custom guns do not have ram rod retaining mechanisms, they instead rely on the natural bend in the rod to resist movement. Some even go so far as to bend a perfectly straight rod for this effect.
Old March 1, 2012, 06:27 PM   #14
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykeal
The only reason for replacing a barrel is if it doesn't shoot well.
Even if it doesn't shoot well, don't be too quick to blame the barrel.

I think the main reason the "clean out" screw exists is because the factory hasn't got a drill that can drill straight for a half inch or so and then make a 90 degree turn and head toward the breech plug's powder chamber.
Old March 1, 2012, 07:47 PM   #15
deerslayer303

Good Gucka Mucka!!

The GPR is a TACK DRIVER, at 25 yards it dang near put two balls in the same hole I was shooting sitting down with nothing supporting but my elbows. I will post up the videos later when I get em down loaded. But now I have an issue after shooting i ran a cleaning patch down there with the jag, all the way down into the patent breech and I went to twist and pull back and thats where it stayed its stuck and I broke the ram rod trying to get it out. So I unscrewed it and left the jag in there. when I got home I put an aluminum one down there and screw it in then took some vise grips and tried to pull it out. I pulled the thread out of the rod So I'm screwed I think. Is that hook on the back of the barrel threaded in?
Old March 1, 2012, 08:01 PM   #16
Mr.Guido

Shoot it out.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:20 PM   #17
Beagle333

Quote:
Shoot it out.
+1
Old March 1, 2012, 08:23 PM   #18
deerslayer303

umm ok, how do do this without losing my face? This thing is in there super tight. when I was trying to pull it out my brother in law was holding the rifle and I was pulling the ram rod with all I had and it won't budge so I think it a barrel obstruction yeah??
Old March 1, 2012, 08:57 PM   #19
Mr.Guido

I must have missed where you specified flint or percussion, but either way you need to get about 10 grains of powder through the flash channel into the chamber with a nipple/vent pick. Take it outside and fire it into a box stuffed with rags. I had to do this 3 times in a row with a H&A Kentucky pistol before I figured out that those ram rods are just for looks.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:59 PM   #20
Mr.Guido

FWIW, Investarms have a chambered breech, not a Patent breech.
Old March 1, 2012, 09:15 PM   #21
deerslayer303

ok I'll try it while being scared as heck.

Another question, when seating the ball are you suppose to feel the ball go into this breech (the smaller section at the bottom), seems one of the balls I felt this and the others I didn't.
Old March 1, 2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Mr.Guido

No, your ball is too large to get into that chamber. It doesn't take much powder to fill that chamber so your ball likely never even touched it. A jag large enough to hold a patch is too large to enter that chamber. What you probably felt was the fouling that resides at the bottom of the barrel after firing, it is infamous for grabbing patches, which is why it is recommended that you use short up and down strokes when swabbing between shots.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:30 PM   #23
arcticap

Here's a current thread about someone else who had the same problem.
One person successfully used a section of hollow tube to pull out a stuck bore brush.

HELP, stuck bore brush.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=635652
Old March 2, 2012, 03:42 PM   #24
deerslayer303

SUCCESS

I poured 10 grains of fffg (I measured it) though the flash hole doing a little at a time and tapped the barrel with a plastic mallet till it ran down in there. Put a cap on and POP out it came hehe. THIS FORUM ROCKS!!! Thanks alot guys!!!
Old March 2, 2012, 07:58 PM   #25
Mr.Guido

Excellent. One trick I have found is to carry one of these with me whenever I shoot at the range or in the field.

If my jag/patch gets stuck in the fouling at the breech, I simply screw the handle into the end of my rod and grasp the shaft with my left hand and while lifting the rod/gun slightly off of the ground or my boot, repeatedly slap down sharply on the top of the handle until the weight of the gun begins to pull the rod free. It may take several strokes, but it hasn't failed me yet.