The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 20, 2011, 09:24 PM   #1
OutlawJoseyWales

Gun Leather

I used the search feature and looked for advice on gun leather, but wasn't satisfied, so I thought I would ask the experts.

I recently purchased 2 Uberti Cattlemen Hombres in .357.
While I am not currently a member of SSAS or the other groups, I might eventually join if I have time. So that might be a consideration on what I would consider for that project, help would be needed there.

I have a number of odds and ends holsters that I use with my BP revolvers, but usually don't use any of them at the range, Capelas and suchlike.

OK, what is the best value for holsters, what companies or products are considered a good value. If I asked for what is BEST, I'm sure that the top of the line material would be amazing and last forever, however, I might not be allowed to live in the house after I purchased it.
So, a balance of price and quality would be very helpful.

I've read about Oklahoma leather, but if someone wants to explain the lack of quality on that chemical tanned leather-that would be very cool too.

Thanks in advance or your advice. Love this website and visit everyday, I've learned a ton of things from all y'all.
OJW
Old May 22, 2011, 12:37 PM   #2
TXGunNut

Check out El Paso Saddlery. They seem pricey but the quality, materials and time involved in doing it right will never be cheap. I don't play the SASS game, (mine are hunting and CC holsters) but they have several very nice cowboy rigs IIRC.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 22, 2011, 08:52 PM   #3
OutlawJoseyWales

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

Do you know what the deal is with the Oklahoma Leather that posters have discouraged us from buying?

Do you know if Cabala's has a good quality leather, I know they have an inexpensive holster because I have some of them.

Thanks again.
OJW
Old May 22, 2011, 09:40 PM   #4
Hawg

Cheap chrome tanned leather will stretch and get floppy. If you saw the pics of the gun rig I posted the edges of the holsters folded in and flopped. It took both hands to holster the guns. It also stretched as you can see the muzzle of the pistol poking thru the bottom. That made it a very tight fit and you either had to use both hands to draw the pistols or use leg ties. If you're just going to use them now and then you can get by with cheap leather as long as you don't oil it. Oiling hastens its demise. I have a couple of slim jims from Cabela's and they're still firm but I never use them. If you're going to use it a lot get good leather to start with.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:49 PM   #5
TXGunNut

I've looked at the OK leather at Cabelas but haven't tried it. I've spent a fortune over the last few decades on duty, CC and hunting leather. I chose them all very carefully. I like the looks of the OK stuff, just haven't tried it.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old May 22, 2011, 10:07 PM   #6
OutlawJoseyWales

Hawg,
Will the company or maker of the holster tell you if it's chrome tanned?

Also, what other kind of tanning is there? I read one ad for vegetable tanned leather, is this what to look for?

You are right though, the OK leather does look good, but obviously it's not.

Thanks again for the replies.
OJW
Old May 23, 2011, 12:11 AM   #7
troy_mclure

ross gunleather, great product, great prices.

http://www.rosstudio.com/
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old May 23, 2011, 04:39 AM   #8
Hawg

Heavy 9-10 oz vegetable tanned leather is what you want. I don't know if most leather makers say what their leather is but no maker of quality leather goods will use anything but vegetable tanned. As for other tanning processes there's urine tanned. A lot of Mexican leather is tanned that way. It's good leather and is usually heavily embossed and it's super cheap. Just don't get it wet or everybody around you will think you peed your pants. When it comes to leather you usually get what you pay for and quality leather isn't cheap.

This is my current rig made by Brazos Jack of Etowah River Leather. It's about a 400 dollar rig which is pretty cheap for custom leather. It's a Mexican double loop copied from an original.

Last edited by Hawg; May 23, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old May 23, 2011, 06:13 PM   #9
OutlawJoseyWales

Thanks Hawg,
I got another link to this site from your post.
It's not as easy as I thought it would be finding posts about gun leather.
But, I'm stayin' at it.

Already learned a bunch in just a couple of days.
Thanks again.
OJW
Old May 26, 2011, 10:29 AM   #10
Malamute

No matter what tanning method was used, if they use the flanks of the hide, it will stretch. The less expensive makers tend to do this, they use the whole hide. Some guys get good leather goods, some get stuff that's flanky and loosens up and stretches. You may indeed get a good holster from a less expensive maker, or you could get junk. I'd suggest never buying a less expensive holster sight unseen. Cartridge belts are where this will really tell. Good belts last a long long time, poor ones, the cartridge loops loosen up and become usable for the next caliber up, and some continue to stretch and become useless. Takes a while to be able to tell good leather from poor when holding it in your hand, but just buying better grade goods helps insure you won't have a problem.

El Paso makes pretty good gear. I've seen some of the other common makers goods, such as sold at Cabelas, they fall into the "some is OK, some isn't so OK" range. Stepping up a little in quality also tends to get you better looking style gear. The common stuff tends to look pretty common after seeing good stuff. Many of the common high volume makers don't quite have the style and fit thing figured out as well as the hand made guys do.

Here's a Miles City holster with my Ruger in it. The quality is excellent, and it looks much better than the common type stuff. The tooling is period corect, and much nicer than many high volume type rigs. As an example of poor vs good belts, I've had the Hunter cartridge belt for about 25 or 30 years, it's been in use all that time. It's been restitched a time or two, but is still sound. Have shrunk the loops a time or two with alcohol water spray also. Started out as a 44 belt, but fits 45 Colt quite well after the first couple years. I lucked out. Many Hunter belts go loose in the catridge loops before long. High quality belts hold up, and you can count on it from the beginning.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; May 26, 2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old May 27, 2011, 02:48 PM   #11
Red Cent

Could write a book. Depends if you want show holsters or ergonomic holsters.
A rig of double holsters with about 12-15 degrees butt back will allow a quicker draw and easy reholster. Sass is one of the few gun games that you need to reholster. I'm a holster nut.

Looking at these, think get a grip and reholster. The rig plus a shotgun belt will run you about $700.00.