The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: do you carry a knife with your ccw?
gun and knife. 208 77.61%
just gun. 42 15.67%
just knife. 18 6.72%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4, 2010, 05:55 PM   #26
4INCHSMITH

I'm rarely ever without my knife, especially when I go to the steakhouse, how in the world do they expect me to cut my steak with that weird looking glorified butter knife? When I forget my knife at home, I just get a burger.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:00 PM   #27
Dragon55

Yes....... carried a knife of some kind since age of 7......... currently a 3" German Eye (Solingen).

Yes I would and could use the knife as a SD weapon. If you run out of bullets it's better than bare knuckles.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:03 PM   #28
Microgunner

I've carried a pocket knife everyday of my life since age 12. Even at school. (It was allowed back then)
Old February 4, 2010, 06:08 PM   #29
hoytinak

I always carry a knife on me but not for any SD reasons. I do find myself using it quite a bit though...opening boxes, packages, cans, cutting string and all other kinds of things.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:09 PM   #30
Single Six

Oh yes. Never leave the house without my Voyager. I'm a certified Cold Steel snob. People often give me this or that brand of knife at Christmas time..I thank them kindly and then promptly re-gift it. If it ain't Cold Steel,I don't want it!
Old February 4, 2010, 06:32 PM   #31
Brian48

Yeah, I carry a knife with my CCW...................

...............although I'm not sure what I have counts
Old February 4, 2010, 06:49 PM   #32
orionengnr

Tried carrying pocket knives without much success...they always seemed to disappear. Lost a 3" Buck that was engraved by Chuck Buck; that one hurt to lose.

A year ago I saw and bought an ultra-thin lightweight 3 1/2" Gerber Para Frame (skeletonized frame) folder with pocket clip. It must be made of helium-filled titanium, because it weighs absolutely nothing...I think the clip is there to keep it from floating away like a balloon. And it works--it hasn't disappeared in a year of daily carry.

Cost me all of $20. Probably wouldn't impress a knife snob but it holds a decent edge, it is unobtrusive and I'd hate to be on the wrong end of it. Not that I am trained in knife-fighting, but it would be better than a sharp stick in a pinch...

Now I feel naked without it. And I use it frequently.

I recently bought another and threw it in the safe in case I lose or wear this one out.
Pistol at 4:00 IWB. Spare mag in left front pocket. Knife in right front pocket.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:05 PM   #33
KenpoTex

yes...usually 2 or 3.

Matt K.
Old February 4, 2010, 07:16 PM   #34
BGutzman

Knife may not be legal to carry concealed in some areas even if the Gun is.....
Old February 4, 2010, 08:39 PM   #35
Kreyzhorse

I can't always carry my CCW, but I always carry a pocket knife. My pocket knife is just that, a pocket knife. Sarah Brady would have a hard time calling it a weapon even.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:48 PM   #36
goose13

Used to have one of those Kershaw assisted opening knifes that I actually used at work a lot to open stuff, I carried it before I even was old enough to carry a gun, but I lost it a little while back and never replaced it, so for now it's just a handgun.
Old February 4, 2010, 08:54 PM   #37
glassguy

if I have a pocket I have a knife
Old February 5, 2010, 12:27 AM   #38
Doug S

I'm like knives, and usually EDC these three. Swisschamp is a multitool, Case Barlow is my pocket knife, and the Cricket is an emergency knife if I every need a quick one handed, serrated blade for a seat belt or something.

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old February 5, 2010, 01:20 AM   #39
Big Bill

I support ESEE (R.A.T.) knives:

So, I carry my Izula with my LCP. Or, sometimes I carry my RC 4 with my CZ 75BD. Or, my RC 3 with my SP101.

http://www.eseeknives.com/index2.htm
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; February 5, 2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:28 AM   #40
oldhunter

Always carry a pocket knife and have for over 60 years. On occasion, also carry a handgun.

oldhunter
Old February 5, 2010, 08:57 AM   #41
stephen426

I always carry a knife unless I have to fly somewhere. I usually carry my gun. I carry a Benchmade 710 and it easily fills the role of tool and defensive weapon. I remember going to the airport (before 9/11) and I realized I had my knife on me. The lady was going to take it, but I told her it was like a $120 knife and that I had a concealed carry permit (meaning I had no criminal record). I told her I carry it every single day and just forgot. She let me just throw it in my carry on and go through. I don't think I would try that now.
Old February 5, 2010, 10:30 AM   #42
EdInk

I think it's a good idea to carry a knife when you ccw.

Anyone ever see the episode of Family Guy, when Joe and Peter shoot that guy? I found it to be funny, sick, educational and justifiable all at the same time.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:23 AM   #43
MikeRussell

Quote:
If my pants are on I have a Knife. I don't always have a gun on me but I feel naked without a knife.
That's me, too.
Old February 5, 2010, 11:53 AM   #44
output

I always carry two knives. One that would be used for self-defense if the need ever arose and one for work use (cutting boxes etc…)

I also collect knives and right now I am having an affair with everything Benchmade. I am currently carrying my model 580 barrage which is an assisted opener and it is a phenomenal knife! It is built extremely well and opens with authority…it is by far the best assisted opener that I have ever owned or handled.

It has been hard for me to find a good online retailer that has good prices and knives in-stock and ready to ship. But I came across the Oregon Knife Shop recently and I think they are worth mentioning (http://www.oregonknifeshop.com/) they don’t have a huge selection but from what I have seen their prices are fantastic and shipping and customer service in top notch.

Sorry for all the blabbering
Old February 5, 2010, 11:55 AM   #45
RoscoeC

I find all this stuff about zero tolerance about knives carried to school a bit unreal. I have had a knife in my pants pocket since I was 6 years old. Never missed carrying one during 12 years of public schooling. No one ever said a word. I even lent it to teachers from time to time.

For the last several years I have carried 2. I have an "Old Timer" in my front pants pocket for opening boxes, cleaning and trimming fingernails, etc. and I have a Cold Steel Recon 1 clipped to my hip pocket for more serious endeavors.
NRA Life Member
Old February 5, 2010, 12:02 PM   #46
treefarmernc

Pocket knife always. Not for SD however.
Old February 5, 2010, 12:17 PM   #47
Borch

I carry an S&W folder in my right pocket and a Leatherman Blast multitool on my belt. The Leatherman is just so handy, it's like having a mini toolbox at your disposal, but it takes too long to get the blade out if it were ever needed as last ditch SD, hence the folder.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:25 PM   #48
DanWesson357

Not a "concealed" knife, but I always carry one on me. Since I got my CCW, that was a nice addition.
Old February 5, 2010, 01:33 PM   #49
SW1911CT

My tactical knife attachment doubles the speed of my melee. Great for places like Favela, Rust, and Scrapyard
Old February 5, 2010, 06:22 PM   #50
stephen426

Quote:
Originally Posted by output
It has been hard for me to find a good online retailer that has good prices and knives in-stock and ready to ship. But I came across the Oregon Knife Shop recently and I think they are worth mentioning (http://www.oregonknifeshop.com/) they don’t have a huge selection but from what I have seen their prices are fantastic and shipping and customer service in top notch.
I will check out Oregon Knife Shop, but you might want to check out www.knifeworks.com . I have been buying knives from them for over 10 years already. Prices and selection are great, and I have never needed to contact them for customer service.

I just checked out Oregon Knife Shop. They do have great prices! I think Knife Works site is a bit easier to navigate and their selection is huge. I might have to start shopping at Oregon Knife Shop as well!

Last edited by stephen426; February 5, 2010 at 06:34 PM.