The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 29, 2009, 11:21 PM   #51
pax

moderator note

Uncle Billy et al ~

Please do go ahead and take that discussion to another thread. It's quite a lot of drift from where this one started, and a subject all its own worth discussing.

pax
Old October 29, 2009, 11:41 PM   #52
FM12

Nowadays,I carry more to protect my family than any other reason. Especially at large malls,since the recent mall shootings. Don't want to get caught without a handgun and my family and other innocents at risk.

As a fulltime state police officer (LEO) I try to have at least one handgun on me at all times. While on duty I have more recently begun wearing a Springer GI 45 on my belt and my issued Sig 226/40 S&W in a shoulder holster, covered by a khaki Colombia brand vest. I may get a third gun to put somewhere else, When asked why I carry three I respond that I cant find a place to carry 4 comfortably!

Last edited by FM12; October 29, 2009 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spellling
Old October 30, 2009, 12:21 AM   #53
Firepower!

+1 Uncle Billy
I think most of you are miss quoting Uncle Billy and simply not giving a man fair chance to express his opinion without getting on the band weagon.

I would hate to live in the neighbourhoods or work or hangout in places that most of you do- since you 'need' to be prepared and think like that when you are dressing and putting a holstered gun on just like if you are putting a sock on.

What part of the world do you live in where crime is so robust that danger is ever looming? I live in Pakistan and I dont see the need for being that prepared here where things are much worse then they are in the USA.

What is actually the level of danger that we are talking about here? Are you going to shoot someone who will cut you off on the road, or pushes or something else that doesnt need to end in fatal confrontation?

Admit it that these are toys that we need like other people with other hobbies.

That said, some of us do live unfriendly parts of the world, and do move about in situations that demand a gun. However that percentage is small.

In conclusion, I belive that Uncle Billy's opinion should be respected for what it is, unless we subscribe to facist beliefs and do not tolerate any difference of opinion. I think this forum would very boring if we all sat around agreeing with each other and jump on anyone who doesnt.
Old October 30, 2009, 04:13 AM   #54
zombieslayer

ASSUMING one has a knowledge of safe firearm handling, and proficient operation, why not take some form of projectile-firing weapon around with you?? Law enforcement's real job is arresting people once a crime is commited, not necessarily guarding each of us 24/7.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:02 AM   #55
Firepower!

This is how I see it. A handgun should always be in reach when you are home. It should not be just laying somewhere that is easy access to an intruder. Mostly it is the night time when one needs to actually have it out.

It really depends on where you live.
Old October 30, 2009, 05:09 AM   #56
smince

Quote:
What part of the world do you live in where crime is so robust that danger is ever looming?
It's not the part of the world we live in. It's the world itself.

The nightly news shows that violence can and does happen in all sorts of unexpected places daily. If I could accurately predict when and where I'd need a gun, I'd just stay home that day (or go buy a winning lottery ticket). But the fact is: we can't know when or where. So, I carry my G19 almost everywhere I go unless there are metal detectors. I'm currently 48 years old, and I've done this since I was 21 and got my first permit.

Guns are a hobby, but I don't carry mine to feel all warm and fuzzy and stroke it. I carry mine as others have stated: for security and safety and because I believe my survival will benfit the world a bit more than the POS who might want to rob or kill me.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:44 AM   #57
threegun

Quote:
In conclusion, I belive that Uncle Billy's opinion should be respected for what it is, unless we subscribe to facist beliefs and do not tolerate any difference of opinion. I think this forum would very boring if we all sat around agreeing with each other and jump on anyone who doesnt.
You are correct all opinions should be respected however some who says silly things like this
Quote:
What is actually the level of danger that we are talking about here? Are you going to shoot someone who will cut you off on the road, or pushes or something else that doesnt need to end in fatal confrontation?
should be discounted.

Uncle billy hit on a few of the reasons I carry and a few concerns i face in doing so. He then discounted the reasons, hyped the concerns, and tossed in a pinch of the anti gunners agenda......the gun nut/mall commando. He said "a lot" of us are like this. Everybody I know who carries......and working at a gun shop and gun range you meet alot of folks......none are like Uncle billy described.

His opinion is further nullified by the millions of law abiding civilians who carry everyday without issue or accident either of which the lame stream media would have plastered as front page propaganda against CWP's.

Pax I apologize for continuing the threat shift however I thought it extremely important to rebut the false anti gun rhetoric strewn in this thread.
Old October 30, 2009, 07:53 AM   #58
Microgunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Billy
"I think the general public (i.e. the majority of people, more than half of whom aren't avid gun enthusiasts) aren't all that enthusiastic about a bunch of amateurs, with no training and questionable skills, who have a penchant for guns as their motivation, being allowed to go among us with deadly firepower they have enthusiasm for using. That idea frightens me too."
Your assumption of enthusiastic desire of gun play assumes too much. What frightens me in your post is the implication of needed sanctioned training and psychological evaluation as a prerequisite to exercising our rights. It's either a right or a privilege.
Old October 30, 2009, 08:01 AM   #59
zombieslayer

Funny, you don't need references, a psychological screening, or subjective approval from law enforcement to obtain a state liscense to drive a 6000 pound vehicle, I mean, MISSILE, down the road in NY, do you?
Old October 30, 2009, 08:02 AM   #60
smince

Quote:
...a bunch of amateurs, with no training and questionable skills,
And yet, the majority of the time, these unskilled amateurs prevail in
their conflict. Bystanders seldom die from wild shots. Blood isn't running in rivers in our streets.

So, what seems to be the problem?
Old October 30, 2009, 09:41 AM   #61
Daugherty16

Insurance policy vs. firearm

Uncle Billy missed an essential difference in his summary of the differences between carrying a concealed weapon and having insurance. That is simply that: insurance is mandated by law, in the case of car insurance; by mortgage companies, in the case of fire insurance and/or flood insurance. By contrast, carrying a firearm is a deliberate logical choice. In many states it is only granted after completing basic firearm safety training, demonstrating some degree of proficiency with the weapon, and a thorough background check. Certainly that is the case in CT. That is a far cry from the hillbilly hobby he described, although i don't doubt that some people in some places fit his descriptions. But everyone i know with a CCW is a responsible, upstanding citizen concerned about defense of family and self.

I have been shooting more than 40 years, if you go back to my BB gun days. I have owned firearms since i was of legal age. I hunt, i shoot recreationally. But i never felt a need to carry concealed until recently. When the perps did in the Petit family http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19957752/ i finally was convinced. http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n3095614.shtml

How much more incentive should one need? That home invasion took place less than 20 miles from my own home, where i was asleep with my wife, and our kids down the hall. There simply isn't time when someone kicks your door down, to run to your safe and spin the dial, then load up your pistol. So on my side it lives, and on my side it will stay. I hope that i live a long life and never have to draw a gun on, let alone shoot, another human being. But with animals like these out there preying on innocent victims, i refuse to be unarmed and unable to respond with lethality, if ever necessary, to save my family or myself.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old October 30, 2009, 09:41 AM   #62
Uncle Billy

Moving the thread..

In compliance with pax's request, I opened a new thread on this topic which I titled "Reasons as to why having a pistol, continued", in the "General Discussion" area.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...42#post3758842

Last edited by Uncle Billy; October 30, 2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Including the URL of the new thread
Old October 30, 2009, 09:51 AM   #63
Firepower!

threegun....if you think I am anti gun, then you wont find a pro gun person easily.
Old October 31, 2009, 04:23 AM   #64
qwman68

im 41 yrs old and was in the military 8 yrs. i live in a nice neighborhood in a smallish town in north al. and even though i carry most of the time i have never had any need to use my handgun.maybe i never will but most of the time i will carry my .45 cause you never know
Old October 31, 2009, 09:21 PM   #65
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
When I got dressed this morning, I pulled on my pants, stuck my wallet in my pocket, and put my holstered gun on my belt. Putting the gun on didn't mean I was expecting trouble, didn't mean I was hoping for trouble, didn't mean I was thinking about trouble, and didn't mean I feel as if my neighborhood is a war zone. It simply meant I was getting prepared for the day.
That's pretty much the same thing I do day after day, now because of the close proximity to a very dangerous city, later, when I move, it will be because I am in a more rural, wilder area. Though I will feel safer than I do right now from 2-legged predators, I will not be so foolish as to think all danger has passed. And, though my MAIN concern will be switched to animals, the old habits will keep my eyes moving and my head on a swivel. I'm fine with that, even in the autumn of my life.
Old November 4, 2009, 07:33 AM   #66
threegun

Firepower, I was just commenting on Uncle Billy's posts. Sorry if I caused confusion.
Old November 4, 2009, 08:19 AM   #67
Tommy Vercetti

Quote:
I've even slept armed.
we aren't supposed to? I never get the new memos
Old November 4, 2009, 09:27 AM   #68
JohnH1963

There are sensible ways to deploy and carry your firearms in your home. There are also sensible avoidance strategies while driving and out in public. However, what happens when you are driving alone and a vehicle simply refuses to stop following you? Lets say you are on one of the many rural highways around America where there are no police stations in site. How do you deal with threats both known and unknown? You could easily get some guy very angry through actions that are no fault of your own like having to announce lay-offs at your work.

A firearm is much like a fire extinguisher. You dont simply pull out the extinguisher for just any emergency, but exceptional situations where a glass of water simply will not put out the fire.
Old November 4, 2009, 04:39 PM   #69
markj

Quote:
what happens when you are driving alone and a vehicle simply refuses to stop following you?
A few years ago I had a guy in a van follow me, I was on a motorcycle, I got around behind him, got the plate number and followed him for a bit. He got real nervous and started driving erratically. I pulled up to his window asked him what his beef was, he was upset I "cut him off" a few miles back.

Out where I live I know all the field roads, I sure would like to have someone try to follow me home In your car you have a bit of safety. Lock the doors and drive to the nearest town to get some help. I would not shoot at anyone following me.
Old November 5, 2009, 12:43 AM   #70
DAVE RICHHARDS

My pistol goes wherever I go. Carrying a pistol all the time has saved my bacon a couple of times. With the home invasions that have been going on I'm never without one of my pistols. If I never have to use it great. But if I need it I'm going to need it real bad. On this and other forums their have been
quite a few stories of "the one time I didn't have my gun and needed it". Don't want to tempt Nr. Murphy. My 229R 9mm is sitting next to me as I write. If someone kicks the door in they will be in for a surprise. Better them than me!
Old November 5, 2009, 02:36 PM   #71
JohnH1963

Why would you stop the guy in the van to ask him what was the matter? I think the best move would have been to get away. You were on a motorcycle which is usually much faster then big vans. I think what you did was provoke the guy by pulling up by his side. He could have had a weapon or maybe he might have used the van as a weapon.

For civilians or even off-duty police, the best avenue is to retreat and avoid until you can't. In the situation with the van, you could have avoided the situation. It seemed like you had an avenue of retreat as you were driving a motorcycle which is obviously faster and more manueverable then a workvan.

I think a lot of guys want to do the macho or hero thing versus what seems like the cowardly thing. Its not cowardly to retreat or avoid...in fact, in some states its your legal obligation.
Old November 5, 2009, 04:56 PM   #72
markj

Quote:
Why would you stop the guy in the van to ask him what was the matter? I think the best move would have been to get away. You were on a motorcycle which is usually much faster then big vans. I think what you did was provoke the guy by pulling up by his side. He could have had a weapon or maybe he might have used the van as a weapon.
He stopped at a stop light, being on the bike I have a lot more mobility. When someone acts unusual towards me I get right in their face and find out what their problem is.

Guess you just dont know me. Very little fear, it has gotten me in trouble in the past, like shot once and stabbed in the neck.
I was without a gun each time. I did take some guns from a few guys in the bar, years ago tho.

Quote:
I think a lot of guys want to do the macho or hero thing versus what seems like the cowardly thing.
I sure didnt think about macho or whatever, I wanted to know why he was following me and the fastest way was to simply ask him. Some of us that grew up in the 60s think this way, we prefer to handle our problems our way. Dont want to rely on someone else getting involved like the police, they will mess it up every time, or show up after the trouble is over.

I also must say I dont carry either.
Old November 5, 2009, 05:07 PM   #73
Nnobby45

Because in some violent crime incidents, like the one's we hear about every day, there's nothing else in the world that's going to keep you alive, or from serious injury. Not the police. Not your quick wit, not the gunman's mercy, not good luck---nothing but a gun.

I think we're all aware of that----aren't we? And yet, still another thread concerning the same subject that's been resurrected more times than than myths concerning the JFK assassination.
Old November 5, 2009, 05:21 PM   #74
trigger happy

Quote:
I only carry because my gun won't listen to me when I tell it to follow me.
somebody might try to kidnap it and raise it as their own

I carry because I've been carjacked and mugged at gunpoint (and knifepoint)