The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 16, 2007, 05:23 PM   #1
castnblast

You Killed 'em, now Grill 'em...Great Deer Steak recipe

I had some friends over for diner the other night, and they called asking for the recipe, because their KIDS loved it...So I thought I'd share my Grilled Venison Terrioke (sorry, my chinese is horrible... ) w/ the rest of you. Enjoy!

Make enough of this to cover the amount of meat you wish to marrinade. I like to put my meat in quart bags, as I waste less of the marrinade.

Marrinade:
1/2 cup each - Marsala Cooking Wine, and Soy Sauce
2 TBS brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger. or more to taste...May use fresh
1 clove crushed garlic
1 tsp onion powder

these figures are approx. adjust to taste. Cooking Sherry may be substitued for marsala. I don't measure anything except the soy and marsala, which is a 1:1 mixture. everything else is approximate, but very close...
Stir till sugar is disolved. place meat in zip lock and place in bowl in fridge for 1-2 hours.
remove meat, and baste w/ olive oil. Grill over hot coals to desired doneness. I prefer rare to med. Rare. Don't over cook as this will make the meat tougher, and gamey tasting.

pour off remaining marindade and boil for dipping sauce.

Garnish w/ grilled mushrooms, sweet peppers, and onions.
Old January 16, 2007, 05:36 PM   #2
JJB2

my terriaki recipe is
1/3 cup of soy sauce
1/3 cup of veg oil
1/3 cup of fruit juice
1/3 teaspoon garlic powder
1/3 teaspoon onion powder
1/3 teaspoon ginger

makes a great merinade for chicken or pork before grilling................
Old January 16, 2007, 07:36 PM   #3
SavageSniper

Hey Cast, I take it this is for steaks. Have you ever tried it on a roast?
Old January 17, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4
castnblast

Nope, but good point...I'l do that...May need to marinate a little longer. Yup...it's for steaks...

BTW, the reason I wait until after the steaks are marinated is that I found the marinade penetrates the meat better. It's like oil on water. Pat the steaks dry, then apply olive oil and place on the grill. I typically cut my steaks 1/4 - 2/3" thick. This works great for backstrap or hindquarter steaks. They both come out pretty tender and yummy...Compliments to Bambi's mom and dad...

Last edited by castnblast; January 17, 2007 at 11:12 AM. Reason: after thought...
Old January 18, 2007, 01:51 PM   #5
NRA4life

This also makes an outstanding jerky marinade. Soak overnight, drain and dry in a dehydrator or smoker.
Old January 18, 2007, 04:37 PM   #6
Yellowfin

One of my own...

Here's a stew I made a couple of nights ago that I've eaten for nearly every meal since:

2 lbs of venison leg meat, cut into chunks and floured
1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, sliced
6 scallions, chopped
2 small yellow onions, chopped
4 carrots, chopped
2 1/2 lbs rutabegas, sliced
1 1/2 tbs rendered deer fat (I had it so I used it...gotta be healthier than bacon, and Irish stew traditionally uses lamb fat and I think it beats that too. I scraped together all the fat trimmed off the meat as I was cleaning it and I'll be using the stuff for tamales and just about everything else I'd use bacon or lard, for as long as I don't run out of it!)
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp dried thyme
5 cups chicken stock

Flour and then brown the meat in the rendered fat (about 4 minutes or so total...about 2/3 of the way done, but outside visibly browned for flavor), then remove it and most of the crumblies which are the source of MEGA FLAVOR. Add olive oil and cook the onions, then add the rest of the veggies and some salt and pepper. Cook all of that till almost tender, then add back the meat and crumblies and the thyme and cover with the chicken stock and simmer it for about 30-45 minutes...longer as you know develops more flavor.

Enjoy!