The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 24, 2006, 07:56 AM   #1
ATCDoktor

Triple on Coyotes (Pics)

I have been hunting Coyotes for 10 years and this is my first Triple. I called in and killed 5 before noon.

The rifle used was a Savage model 11FXP3 with an Accutrigger in 204 Ruger. I bought it from Gander Mountain for $350.00 and this was the first set of stands I had made with it. It came complete with the attached scope and rings. The ammo used was Hornady 32 grain Ballistic tips.

The next pic is of a single I shot while he was running away from me. The shot hit him low behind the ribs and rolled him up good.

This next one was shot at 40 yards with the same rifle, same day. Last stand of the day.

I was worried that the 204 was going to be a little light for Coyotes but nothing could be furthere from the truth. This rifle will shoot the Hornady 32 grain factory ammo into groups the size of nail on my little finger.
Old December 24, 2006, 10:55 AM   #2
hoghunting

Good shooting. By looking at the wounds on those coyotes, I'd say the 204 is plenty of gun for coyotes. Good buy for $350.
Old December 24, 2006, 11:50 AM   #3
rhino

Sweet!

At what range were the shots?

And just to be sure ... the first three were killed with one shot? That's impressive for such a light bullet.

I was hoping to do my first successful coyote hunting this year (with an AR), but we're not seeing many!
Old December 24, 2006, 11:56 AM   #4
VUPDblue

Where are you looking? I have seen quite a few!
Old December 24, 2006, 12:33 PM   #5
rhino

Mostly Putnam County where my buddy lives.

Are you near Vincennes?
Old December 24, 2006, 12:52 PM   #6
kwkoch

congrats on your triple, and welcome to TFL i once called in 6 at once towards the end of deer season using an injured fawn call. they came in so hot that i didnt even get a shot off. they came in as a pack full steam to my right they came in to about 50 yards so i guess if i had buck shot maybe i would have gotten one. hard to hunt with rifle in the woods at almost dark.
Old December 25, 2006, 12:43 AM   #7
ATCDoktor

For the triple the distances were all less than 60 yards.

The one that I'm holding was at 40 yards and the one that was running away from ne was just a little over a hundred.

I 've been predator hunting for 10 years andI find most of my shots average around 50 yards.

The farthest I have ever shot a Coyote was 200 yards. The closest one I ever shot was at 8 steps.
Old December 25, 2006, 12:53 AM   #8
BILLDAVE

calls

I was wondering how you call them in. Do you use an electronic call? I want to start hunting them here in Illinois, but one farmer told me that the electronic calls work once then the coyotes figure it out and stay far away. He told me to wound a rabbit and tie it to a stick, but that seem a little cruel. Any thoughts?
BILLDAVE
Old December 25, 2006, 07:28 PM   #9
keita

wound a rabbit and tie it to a stick.....yes that's cruel
Hilary would use that against us.

Besides...it's kinda hard to cripple a rabit alive, I would think.
Old December 26, 2006, 12:41 AM   #10
ATCDoktor

I use an electronic call.

For about 9 years I used a Johnny Stewart cassete player with a 75 foot cord for the speaker. It was one of the older models and it weighs a ton.

This last year I switched to a FoxPro digital caller with 16 pre programmed sounds. It weighs about 1/3 as much as the Johnny Stewart model and has a remote control.

The remote control allows me to post the caller about 40 yards away, giving me the advantage of separating myself from the sounds point of origin.

This gives me the advantage of putting enough room between me and the electronic call for the animals to circle.

As far as Coyotes figuring out that the sounds are not real, the only way that can happen is if you call them in, shoot and miss.

That's how they get educated.