The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 21, 2006, 07:08 PM   #1
longshank

Reloading 204

What is the approximate cost per round of reloading 204? Aside from the up front cost of equipment, how much per round will it save me?
Old September 21, 2006, 11:16 PM   #2
robctwo

I'm just looking to reload .204 as well. I'm getting all the dies, etc.

Figuring around 27 grains of Varget @ $18.00 lb would be .069, .13 bullets, .028 primers and .05 brass (7 loads on new brass estimated) I get .26 per round as opposed to 20 rounds for $15.00 @ .75 per round. Roughly 1/3 the cost. I can do better with bulk purchases, just looking at over the counter.
Old September 25, 2006, 09:49 AM   #3
arizona hunter

Rob, I get about the same figures as you do. Besides saving a lot of money over the long run, there is that sense of satisfaction in creating something on your own that works well and is safe to use.

What brand of brass are you using? I went with Rem. over Hornady because the Rem. cost about 50 % less.
Old September 25, 2006, 10:22 AM   #4
cobra81

Keep on rollin 'em

Add to the list of reloading advantages the abiilty to tailor a load to a specific use with different powder types and amounts, bullet type and weight, and primer selection, and you have a compelling case for rolling your own.

But that's just me; I would probably still reload even if the cost were close to the same as factory ammo because it is enjoyable and rewarding, two things I've never been able to put an exact dollar amount on.

Plus, when I was in my local Gander Mountain last week, I noticed the price of 20 rounds of Hornady .204 ammo was up a couple bucks to around $17.