The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2000, 06:58 PM   #1
macondas

Hi all,

Anyone out there that can explain casting bullets, give reasonable equipment outlays, and just plain help me decide if it is feasible or not for me to try my hand at this?

------------------
**P.P.L.L.**
Old June 7, 2000, 08:26 PM   #2
beemerb

Lot is going to depend on what you are going to cast.If you are planning on casting for banging ammo I presonaly do not think its worth it.You can buy cast slugs too cheap to make it pay.If you are going to cast special slugs such as for old calibers its ok.
If you do decide to start I would start with a midway catalog.Get a 20 lb melting pot and a dual cavity mold.You will need a fuxing agent(I used beeswax but other thing out there)ladle and a sizer luber.I do have a old style sizer luber in 38 I will sell cheap as I quit casting.

------------------
beemerb
We have a criminal jury system which is superior to any in the world;
and its efficiency is only marred by the difficulty of finding twelve men
every day who don't know anything and can't read.
-Mark Twain
Old June 8, 2000, 12:26 PM   #3
sundog

macondas, first, decide if you have the time. Not only do you have to cast, but also lube, and if necessary size. Casting will require a pot, heat source, usaully electric or gas, an adequate ventilated area, flux, moulds, and the list goes on. Find someone who already does this to help make a decision. The only bullets I buy anymore are target pills for M1. I cast everything else, but I do it as a hobby - very time consuming, but very relaxing.

beemerb, I'm interested in your sizer luber. What is it, how old, did you buy new, and how much? What dies come with it?

sundog